• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hurricane Helena LMTV Flooded

TylerEMS

Hey Guys, I need some big time help here... my 1999 M1078 LMTV project truck was parked and it was submerged in about 5ft of river water for about 24hrs (I was out of the State at the time) during Hurricane Helene. As we know, it doesn't say much about flooding in the TMs as to what to do in the aftermath of a deep submersion.

So far, I have drained the fuel tank (rubber filler cap didn't seal well, so tons of water got in), drained the air intake tube that was not connected to the air box (was working on it), removed fuel filters and blew air through the fuel lines back towards the tank...
My biggest concern is that I think river water got into the Turbo a few inches because of not having an air box on at the time... The water line appears to have gone a few inches up the "snail shell" housing, and I see a tube going down into the engine block (see pic)...

Any reccomendations on what damage could be caused if water got in the turbo? Besides what I have done so far, an oil change, and replacing the batteries... What are my greatest concerns? What else needs to happen? I'm not worried about the axels just yet, I will drain the pumpkins later and replace fluid, for the water went over the breather tubes. It does not appear the water got to the electronics in the cab, maybe about 7 inches of water intrusion on the floor of the cab.

This storm damage has depleted my funds to near zero, so getting this thing up and running again has to be done super cheap (and it needs to be moved from storage asap). If anyone has any filters or batteries they want to throw my way, I won't say "No" to, and could pay you back in a few weeks once I get insurance money for my Jeep that is a Total Loss. Or if there are any LMTV experts in the WNC area (I'm in Brevard, just south of Asheville), I could really use some help if you're available. Thanks for everyone's constructive input and understanding in this situation and these hard times... Semper Fi.

Attachments

TylerEMS

Oh yeah, I forgot about the Alternator... I assume this costly little gem also needs to be replaced too... Should I switch to the civilian version and make the brackets? I know I can't afford a new OEM alternator... Just simply out of the question financially right now... Suggestions?