• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hutchinson beadlocks

VermontM998A1

Hi

I own a 1994 M998 A-1 with 2 part 12 bolt rims. 37 X 12.5 X 16.5 Goodyear Wranglers on the vehicle now. As far as I know the runflats are still on.

I want to put on 4 new Wranglers with some sort of beadlock, but without the runflats. Hutchison part number 12342639 is for sale on Ebay 4 for $182. The same part number is referenced in TM 9-2320-280-24P-1 on page 614. In the diagram, however, it is shown as being used on a wheel with a run flat.

Is it correct to say that this beadlock can only be used on a wheel with run flats?

The part is only 3" wide, which seems narrow when compared to the PVC beadlocks I have seen. I have not been able to find the PVC beadlocks for sale.

Thanks for your assistance.

Attachments

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome. Post pics of your rig!

I would keep the runflats. I would also install blue hummers to keep the spindles from falling off.

Reactions: OBX

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
PVC is tire specific. Rubber is easier to mix and match with multiple tires as it is more flexible.

Reactions: OBX

VermontM998A1

Thanks for the information.

Looks like trailworthy has two options: the pvc insert or a cutdown runflat that looks like its used in tandem with the Hutchinson bead.

Can you explain what a blue hummer is?

IMG_2021.JPG

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Trailworhy Fab makes bead locks, but they are getting pretty pricy...
EDIT, they also sell cut down run flats, I have NO experience with these, I am running the PVC inserts in the DuraVee, they are really not a bad deal when paired with 24 bolt wheels, only $75 es with a wheel.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
BlueHummer is a line of expensive nuts/bolts/other stuff for the HMMWV that is designed to lock securely and not loosen up. They used to have their own website, but now it's all sold through ModMafia's website.

The early trucks had a problem with their spindle lock ring tabs not holding the spindle nut securely, so there were trucks where the spindle/wheel decided to drive off in a different direction than the rest of the truck.

They upgraded the design later on, so pretty much any truck that's gone through rebuild in the last 20 years or so should have the newer version of the spindle lock.

There is also a halfshaft locking bolt kit that uses clips and tabs similar to some exhaust system locking bolts. Once again kind of spendy, but something you're likely to deal with a lot more than spindles so might be worth the cost.

spindle locking kit

Guyfang

Staff member
Hi

I own a 1994 M998 A-1 with 2 part 12 bolt rims. 37 X 12.5 X 16.5 Goodyear Wranglers on the vehicle now. As far as I know the runflats are still on.

I want to put on 4 new Wranglers with some sort of beadlock, but without the runflats. Hutchison part number 12342639 is for sale on Ebay 4 for $182. The same part number is referenced in TM 9-2320-280-24P-1 on page 614. In the diagram, however, it is shown as being used on a wheel with a run flat.

Is it correct to say that this beadlock can only be used on a wheel with run flats?

The part is only 3" wide, which seems narrow when compared to the PVC beadlocks I have seen. I have not been able to find the PVC beadlocks for sale.

Thanks for your assistance.
Do you know what a UOC is? It is a Usable On Code. That tells you what models of truck the parts fit. Look at the front of the parts TM, find the proper UOC for your truck, and then look for the UOC, next to the parts description.