• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hutchinson Run Flat Lubricant

Dave2018

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking fir a fair place to by a case of lubricant. Saw it around 20 bucks couole years ago. Covid price like 50.00 a tube. May have to improvise.
Thanks for all replys.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Looking fir a fair place to by a case of lubricant. Saw it around 20 bucks couole years ago. Covid price like 50.00 a tube. May have to improvise.
Thanks for all replys.
Murphys tire soap globs

In the event you are running on the run flats you won't be doing it at speed for long. It was in there for combat operations to keep the friction down when it is being used at speed

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll agree with not really needing it for civilian use.
With the rubflat lubricant you can run 30 miles at 30 miles per hour.
In the civilian world, you just need to get to the nearest safe spot to either change the tire, or to get recovered.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You should never put a petroleum product in a tire, tires are made using natural and synthetic rubber, natural rubber does not play well with petroleum products, while it is true that the inner sealing layer is butyl rubber it is just not a good idea.
The heavier duty the tire the higher percentage of natural rubber is used.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You should never put a petroleum product in a tire, tires are made using natural and synthetic rubber, natural rubber does not play well with petroleum products, while it is true that the inner sealing layer is butyl rubber it is just not a good idea.
The heavier duty the tire the higher percentage of natural rubber is used.
Do you know why the grease is used?
Do you know where the grease is applied?
Someone better tell the soldiers to stop using grease, RTV and god knows what else, I do a set of RF’s every week unfortunately and it’s always fun to see what was done by the previous installer.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you know why the grease is used?
Do you know where the grease is applied?
Someone better tell the soldiers to stop using grease, RTV and god knows what else, I do a set of RF’s every week unfortunately and it’s always fun to see what was done by the previous installer.
I would assume to lubricate the tire/runflat contact area during a flat, I have been told the RF "grease" is water soluble and would again assume it was designed to be compatible with the tire materials, what happens in the "field" is anybody's guess.
None of that changes the fact that putting "axle grease" in a tire is a bad idea. just like using a solvent like ether to "inflate" a tire is a bad idea, much of the solvent is not burned and remains in the tire to attack the rubber over time.
If you go to a real tire shop you will not find them running axle grease around the bead of a tire, they will be using Murphy's tire soap which is derived from vegetable oil, been there done that!!

Superthermal

I have a set of MRAP tires with solid rubber run flats. I am moving the tires and run flats over to some HEMTT rims and when I went to clean out the tire of any water or debri that may have made its way in i found the tire coatedwith a tar gooy substance that I am guessing is this RF "grease". The question I have is I had been expecting to run 16oz of 50/50 antifreeze to keep 55mph wheel hop to a minimum. With this RF "grease" is this going to cause any issues if I do that? Any other suggestions?

87cr250r

I don't know anything about run flat tires but do know a lot about grease and rubber. Lots of tire and tire products need a lubricant for mounting. Some lubricants are grease like and water based. If you've ever built a 5-piece rim these will use a lot of said product. However, if you need a grease that will lubricate rubber over the long term without causing deterioration of the rubber you're going to need a silicone based grease. Dow Corning Molykote 111 is the industry standard for rubber and o-ring lube. It ain't cheap.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a set of MRAP tires with solid rubber run flats. I am moving the tires and run flats over to some HEMTT rims and when I went to clean out the tire of any water or debri that may have made its way in i found the tire coatedwith a tar gooy substance that I am guessing is this RF "grease". The question I have is I had been expecting to run 16oz of 50/50 antifreeze to keep 55mph wheel hop to a minimum. With this RF "grease" is this going to cause any issues if I do that? Any other suggestions?
First thought is put some water inside and see if it's water soluble and easy to remove.

Second thought would be clean/scrape out as much as you can, then don't worry about it.
As long as it isn't impeding the antifreeze from being able to move around the tire, then it shouldn't be an issue. Worst I can see happening is it somehow not being compatible with the antifreeze and causing it to gel up somehow, but that seems pretty far fetched. I find it more likely that as time passes some of it might come loose and move around with the antifreeze.

You might also want to do more than 16 ounces of antifreeze, but it's easy enough to add some later through the valve stem if you need to. Antifreeze is cheap.

Superthermal

First thought is put some water inside and see if it's water soluble and easy to remove.

Second thought would be clean/scrape out as much as you can, then don't worry about it.
As long as it isn't impeding the antifreeze from being able to move around the tire, then it shouldn't be an issue. Worst I can see happening is it somehow not being compatible with the antifreeze and causing it to gel up somehow, but that seems pretty far fetched. I find it more likely that as time passes some of it might come loose and move around with the antifreeze.

You might also want to do more than 16 ounces of antifreeze, but it's easy enough to add some later through the valve stem if you need to. Antifreeze is cheap.
The material is water soluble and seems to "dissolve" easily when smeared with water. Even with no soap I could wash it off my hands with some effort.
When I have the next tire apart I will take a little and put it in a glass jar and do an antifreeze test to see if there is anything I should be worried about.
On the volume of 16oz of antifreeze 50/50 mix, that volume was suggested in a thread quote by SIMP.

country

Supporting Vendor
Home > Parts > Run flat lubricant - Tire

sp-2902 | sp-2902  Run flat lubricant  (5).jpg

SP-2902 | Run flat lubricant - Tire
$49.00
NSN #:
2640-01-419-6200
Part #:
12460308, D528235-H1

Run flat lubricant

Fits: Tires and wheels

Parts we offer for sale can be exported. Where necessary, required export approvals and licenses, U.S. Customs clearances and international / overseas shipping services are available.

BLK HMMWV

I believe in the first Gen 2-piece Magnesium run flats the grease was in little packets that were taped / affixed to the run flat.
I'm guessing the initial concept was the that when the tire actually went flat it would pop the packet open and then coat the inside of the tire.
I'm also guessing that it was quite the sight to see a magnesium run flat / grease fueled tire fire. Even more exciting if they tried extinguishing with water.

Hobie_rat

I believe in the first Gen 2-piece Magnesium run flats the grease was in little packets that were taped / affixed to the run flat.
I'm guessing the initial concept was the that when the tire actually went flat it would pop the packet open and then coat the inside of the tire.
I'm also guessing that it was quite the sight to see a magnesium run flat / grease fueled tire fire. Even more exciting if they tried extinguishing with water.
Would be a hell of an entrance if you came in wheels on fire 🔥 lol

Hobie_rat

Home > Parts > Run flat lubricant - Tire

sp-2902 | sp-2902  Run flat lubricant  (5).jpg

SP-2902 | Run flat lubricant - Tire
$49.00
NSN #:
2640-01-419-6200
Part #:
12460308, D528235-H1

Run flat lubricant

Fits: Tires and wheels

Parts we offer for sale can be exported. Where necessary, required export approvals and licenses, U.S. Customs clearances and international / overseas shipping services are available.
How much is applied, 1 tube per tire?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks