• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hutchinson Run Flat Lubricant

TNDRIVER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would assume to lubricate the tire/runflat contact area during a flat, I have been told the RF "grease" is water soluble and would again assume it was designed to be compatible with the tire materials, what happens in the "field" is anybody's guess.
None of that changes the fact that putting "axle grease" in a tire is a bad idea. just like using a solvent like ether to "inflate" a tire is a bad idea, much of the solvent is not burned and remains in the tire to attack the rubber over time.
If you go to a real tire shop you will not find them running axle grease around the bead of a tire, they will be using Murphy's tire soap which is derived from vegetable oil, been there done that!!
I hereby nominate"ANYONE" to lube up 4 tires with "synthetic" grease (about $10 a tube) and report back when the tires come off as to the condition. It's all for the team! I would do it but my back refuses to participate.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Isn’t KY Jelly water soluble. Supposedly it’s also gentle and safe and comes in flavors. 🙄🙄🙄

What is the chemical makeup of the AMG stuff? I’m certain it will be cheaper when bought as a non-branded item.

87cr250r

What is the consistency? I know of many tire lubes that range in consistency from watery to gelatinous, all water based. What is it that you want the lube to do?

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is the consistency? I know of many tire lubes that range in consistency from watery to gelatinous, all water based. What is it that you want the lube to do?
The lube prevents friction related heat between the runflat and the tire in deflated tires. The heat gets bad enough to create fires. In essence, the lubricant prevents friction fires.

Last edited:

Superthermal

With the 16.00s I have I am guessing there was at least one tube of it in each tire. This was with the solid rubber run flat in an XZL. I did take a couple teaspoon scoop out and put some antifreeze in with it in a empty water bottle and it doesn't seem to care. But instead of being a nice grease looking consistency it is all liquid now.
This lubricant is water based.

87cr250r

Does anybody have a Safety Data Sheet for this lube? That could also help identify alternatives.

Dow Corning Molykote 111 is my go to rubber lube for long term applications. There are better products but this one hits a nice price point at about $40 for a grease gun tube.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks