• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hwcurtice rebuild of m101a2

hwcurtice

So this is my trailer as it sits now. Since I got it almost two years ago I've added the bows and covers, LED tail lights, the wheeled tongue jack, and replaced the safety chains.

Plan is to remove the bed, to get to the undercarriage better and have a friend weld an adjustable hitch system on. The surge brake system will be gone but the parking brakes stay.

Attachments

hwcurtice

The four bolt channel arrived today.

Welding friend won't make it until next Friday. Something about a work schedule...?

First step is to make a dump run to empty the trailer. Cardboard and metal. recycling on site so no landfill material included.

Then to start the take-a-part of the trailer.

This should be fun....

hwcurtice

So, Monday update:

Trailer made it to the dump and back just fine. Ligher, but still pulls the same.

I have all the parts for the adjustable hitch platform. Welding buddy pushed me back a few weeks.

So, I picked up brackets and wood to build saw horses, because the bed is coming off for cleaning and painting. May, or may not, take the surge brake system off and have welding buddy trailer the frame to his shop for the sparky part. I need to test it sometime, before shipping it out. Yeah, its kinda spoken for. What should I be getting for this prime piece of mechanized gunk?

harleyhouse

Surge pintles I have sold $75.00 and $125.00 plus shipping.
They are heavy!

Remove the Surge assembly then unbolt the nose piece.
When using the original safety chains, a spacer may be needed to clear the adjustible channel.

Last edited:

hwcurtice

I want to get the hitch connection more level with my truck.

I've taken most of the stuff off to make it easier to move around and get it ready for rust removal and repaint.

Besides, I don't need the brake system, except to park it.

hwcurtice

So, I know I haven't posted squat in a bit. Why? Well, my welder buddy is swamped with other jobs and at the moment, the trailer is being loaded up for another trip to the dump.

Best laid plans of mice and men....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks