• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hybrid Civilian Rear Axle 90" Wide

Joaquin Suave

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Guys! I am trying to configure a hybrid rear axle for Casa Azul so that the flange face distance would be the same as my civilian Rockwell front drive axle (FDS-75 @ 90" face to face). I receintly purchased 5 M35A3 rims that i will be running Conti MPT-81's on, and desire to have all the rims biases inwards. That way I will not have to reverse the studs or chamfer to mounting holes. I also want my spare tire/ rim to be able to be used front or rear.
So far I have struck out on finding any "off the shelf" axle that would work for me (I don't want to use atop-loader). At this point I plan on buying another Rockwell H172,lengthen it, and either make hubs or ???.
One option is to use M35A3 hubs (I hear no different than M35A2's, just reversed), find the correct bearings, then meld a top-loader ends onto a H172 case.
At this point I could use any advice you hooligans are willing to offer. If not advice, at least the M35A3 hub bearing dimensions (ID, OD, Thickness).
Thanks in advance!

casa_hammock.jpg

casa_azul_baja.jpg

Last edited:

rustystud

I'm trying to grasp what it is you are trying to do. You don't want a top loader differential like the Rockwell, but you do want the hubs ? Is this correct ? Is this because you want to keep the 6 bolt pattern ?

Joaquin Suave

Steel Soldiers Supporter
but you do want the hubs ? Is this correct ? Is this because you want to keep the 6 bolt pattern ?
Correct! If you look at the first picture of my truck, you will see that the offset of the front rims are "in-board", and the rear wheels are "out-board"... but the track of the front and rear wheels are the same. Thus, if I want to have the rear wheels biased (off-set) in-board (like a M35A3 rear wheels) I need a wider axle AND the hubs designed so that flange biased out-board.

Joaquin Suave

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Medium Heavy Duty trucks had "6 Lug Budds" rims/ hubs in the 1980's so that is the good part. The bad part is that I did a CAD drawing of the front and rear axle widths and the M35A3 rims biased in on the front and out on the rears... And they would be 2.43" more narrow in the rear (add cuss word here)!

So either I've got to fab up a rear axle or bail on the M35A3 rims.

I'm running 4.63 Gears.

Last edited:

steve6x6x6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is no rear F106 or H171 that is close to that width . Can be widen but will cost much $$$$ to make the axle shafts and housing. 2.5 ton spindles on the H171 is a waste of time, you will need to bore the spindle to 2.030 and the axes will not fit the 2.5 ton hub and still be only 80" wide.

Last edited:

Joaquin Suave

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I pulled one of the hubs off a spare FDS-75 front axle I have laying around then reversed engineered & modeled it. I am now going to ge a hold of a H-172 hub and suss the bearing bores out. Hopefully I be able to find bearing that will have the same ID as the H-172 and OD as the FDS-75 Hub. That will take care of the off-set hub, now I'll have to put my attention to the axle case. The nice people at Meritor are researching different "off highway" cases that will provide me extreme width.

fds75hub.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks