• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hyd Valves on a M930, How they work with the front winch

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a M929 and I plan to put a front winch on it. But I do have a question about how the Hyd valves are setup on the M930.
Does anyone have a M930, A0, A1, A2 that you could take some pics of the Hyd. valves under the truck?

I do not have a good understand how they run the dump and the front winch from the same PTO.

If you could PM me or email with the pics.

Well I understand now it is not the same Valve, The M930 using a two spool valve.

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nothing in the parts TMs?

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nothing in the parts TMs?
Doghead, I found the p/n for the valves and they are not the same for the M929 and the M930.
It looks like they took two of the valves and put them together to make a two spool valve.

I just would like to get a Photo of one from a M930,A1,A2.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's just a open center system with fluid flowing from the pump to the two spool valve. One spool of the valve controls the winch and the other controls the dump.

You'll need to replace your one spool valve with a 2 spool. I'm sure something aftermarket could be made to work if you can't find the correct valve.

There should be a pic in the parts TM of the different valves.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you do not need extra fluid for the hoist, a simple diverter valve may get you what you need.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm just adding a single acting valve in line before the winch valve on my m925 so I can run the dump hoist and winch off the same pump.
I'll give a word of caution on that. I've done what you described before on different applications but all the valve manufacturers that I know of advise against this. What it does is cause back pressure on the outlet of the first valve in the series. Most valves aren't designed to have back pressure on the outlet and can cause the valve to fail prematurely. As I said above, I have stacked single spool valves before but I thought the possible consequences should be noted.

Now there is a way to do this correctly but but you'll need a valve with a power beyond port. What you do is have pressure in the first valve, the outlet from the first valve to the tank, and pressure from the power beyond port to feed the second valve.

I did some reading, and you are correct m16ty. I don't have a valve with a power beyond. So what I'll do now is simply replace the winch valve with the valve I have. I'll remove the winch as well and use it for another future project. Dump is way more useful.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wouldn't pull the winch. You could just use a inexpensive diverter valve to switch between the winch and the dump. In other words, the winch valve you currently have can run the dump and the winch.

Also, there's no reason to replace the winch valve you currently have if you decide to pull the winch. It will work the dump just fine.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought I said that...

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So you should not tee off of the supply and return line for the 2nd valve?
I guess I do not understand were the back pressure comes in.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Andrmorr

I just saw this thread and would be glad to help if it's still needed. I have a M930A2 and can get you pics of whatever you need. I'm looking into the hose routing of the winch myself because my winch runs backwards from what it should... pull back is out push in is winch in...hoping its just a hose swap but havent had the chance to map it out yet... Andrew

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just saw this thread and would be glad to help if it's still needed. I have a M930A2 and can get you pics of whatever you need. I'm looking into the hose routing of the winch myself because my winch runs backwards from what it should... pull back is out push in is winch in...hoping its just a hose swap but havent had the chance to map it out yet... Andrew
Andrmorr, I would love some pics. PM sent.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks