• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hydraboost Help

Tailwheel

Hey guys, I had a catastrophic power steering pump/hydraboost failure at 65 mph a few months back. Wasn't fun. Nearly crashed as I lost power steering and all brakes with 37 MTR's on H1 12-Bolt wheels. The emergency brake saved the day.

It took nearly 8 weeks to get replacement parts. The hydraboost units I was receiving wouldn't fit the CUCV master or rod, they were a different design. Finally scored a rebuilt unit through RockAuto which was an exact fit but it was their only serviceable unit available. I then sent this unit out to Busted Knuckle Offroad to have it ported to fit my -AN PTFE power steering lines. I'm unable to run the stock lines due to my PSC P/S Pump.

Fast forward to today. I've been having intermittent issues the past few days so I decided to replace the steering arm and adjust the gearbox lash. I had my wife hop in and depress the brake pedal and sure enough, fluid is pouring out of the hydraboost unit when the brake pedal is depressed and the engine is on.

The leak is occurring between the rear and front portion of the hydraboost, NOT between the hydraboost and the master cylinder. Its at the seam where the hydraboost splits and is secured with E12 bolts.

I'm not sure what to do. I can't wait weeks for new parts that may not fit and I cant spend another $1,000 on this repair. This is my daily driver.

Has anyone been able to reseal the hydraboost housing? I'm thinking about removing the E12 bolts and splitting the unit. I can already see RTV was used to seal it so maybe it just needs new RTV? I'm concerned about doing this, I've never had one of these apart.

Any help is greatly appreciated, it's somewhat of an emergency at this point.

Last edited:

Russm

When mine went out, I went through 3 of them from the auto parts place before I got a working refurb. I don't know what else to suggest other than to keep trying different units.

Could you not find adapters instead for the -an to inverted flare (I think) that the stock unit uses.

I don't think extra rtv will help because it seems like the fluid is coming out under pressure, it'll cut right through. I've never had a hydro boost apart though

My m1009 is my daily as well, I feel your pain

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Tailwheel

My hydraboost is ported for -08AN line inputs and -06AN return.

I have a -08AN line from my P/S Pump to the Hydraboost, -08AN from the Hydraboost to the gearbox, and -06AN return lines from the hydraboost and the gearbox to a custom external resovoir. The resovoir to pump feed line is -12AN.

I believe any attempt to adapt to a smaller fitting will result in cavitation.

Tailwheel

I'm not even sure why there is RTV. There shouldn't be. The housing halves go together with a figure-8 seal and the bolts are torqued to 20 lb-ft.

I'm now suspect of my unit as being "rebuilt" if they used RTV to seal a mating surface that uses a special o-ring design.

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not even sure why there is RTV. There shouldn't be. The housing halves go together with a figure-8 seal and the bolts are torqued to 20 lb-ft.

I'm now suspect of my unit as being "rebuilt" if they used RTV to seal a mating surface that uses a special o-ring design.
You might try this.

Tailwheel

You might try this.

Happen to know where I can find that figure 8 seal tomorrow? I found them online easy enough but I need one tomorrow, not in a week.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks