• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hydraulic Assit Steering- Another Idea Never Attempted

Ok I have been reading threads for a week or more now on power steering and have done my home work or atleast I think I have.....

This will be one of the first mods I will do when I get my deuce in February. I have seen many different ways to do it from the drag link valves to the full steering box swaps.

I have a different idea idea then most, and only seen it mentioned in one thread.

why hasn't anyone piggy backed a orbital valve with the original steering shaft?

Basically leaving the entire original steering system intact and mounting the orbital valve on the frame rail with a custom mount under the steering shaft. You could then take a sprocket from say tractor supply use a chain to link it to the steering shaft. It would basically be the same turning rate as if it where mounted to the fire wall. You could also change the ratio of the sprockets to have the valve be quicker then the steering stem or slower. Basically you'd have to find a sprocket the same size as the steering shaft or bore it to fit then split it in half put it over the steering stem and weld it on.

then use a 5 ton MF pump and you could go one of two ways for the cylinder. Mount it to the axle housing and connect it to the tie rod tube or mount it on the passenger frame rail and have it turn another knuckle on the other side of the axle.

this could easily be done with some time and around maybe $500 to $600 bucks. You can get orbital valves new from eBay for around $300 or use one from a junk yard. I have access to a few junk jockey trucks with full hydro steering that I could salvage the steering valve cylinder and lines from so I might be able to do it for even cheaper. And since it's a hydraulic assist off the original system failure wouldn't cause total loss of steering.....

tell me if I'm thinking wrong here or what.

We had a few farm tractors we did this too, well kinda like this and they worked great!

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
It's been done. And an even easier way is to use a servo instead of a valve. Or you can go with the brute force method of a char-lynn forklift steering assist that "forces" the stock steering box to turn. I've got one of those boxes brand new that I haven't gotten around to doing anything with.

There's more than one way to skin a cat as they say.

welldigger

Eastern surplus and c&c equipent offer a kit that uses the char lynn torque generator. Seems to work pretty well but get ready to pay up. There are cheaper ways that are just as effective or at least close.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
There are some hydraulic steering kits out there that work just like the air-assist, except they use hydraulics. I know one guy that installed that system and it works real nice.

Yeah I can't see spending $2000 to $3000 for a kit that's crazy.....

Yeah gimpy how did the control the cylinder. I couldn't seem to find to many threads on the assist setups besides the drag link valves

I'd go the ross hf54 route I just can't seem to find one. There are a few places online I searched and called and most don't answer or phone numbers were disconnected.

Why couldn't a 5 ton system be used with 14.00r20?

All i see is the box is to big to be used with 53" tires..... Would they work with 49" tires?

i can get a entire 5 ton setup for a good price from the guy I'm buying the truck from. Comes with everything pump (cummins pump) steering box column cylinder everything!

That is a great way to do it but I can't find them things anywhere.... I checked eBay and tried calling there number on the website to no avail.

im gonna stick with my idea seems simple enough and probably cost a tad more the it would just buying the ross steering box.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I would look into the servo setup then I mentioned earlier instead of trying to go down the path of the orbital valve, sprockets, and such. Much simpler path and far easier to adjust.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Well, there is a guy that put a saginaw box on his deuce. He had a hydraulic ram powered off the steering boxes ports. Let me see if I can find that one...

country

Supporting Vendor
We now have New Old Stock 5 ton multifuel hydraulic power steering pumps and gears in stock

email or call

Dave Newman
Eastern Surplus & Equipment Co.
www.easternsurplus.net
Toll Free Office 855-332-0500

powstrpump1.jpgpspumpgear1.jpg

(5T-682) Gear for Power Steering Pump for 5Ton Multi fuel powered trucks. NOS. $195 each
(5T-681) Power Steering Pump for 5Ton Multi fuel powered trucks. NOS. NSN: 4320-00-075-3329, PN: 11640923. $225 each

Mount what?

Im in actually looking at doing a torque generator now instead of the idea I had before. I found one at a good price and they are very simple operation. A pump, reservior, pressure relief valve and the torque generator.