• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hydraulic oil compatable?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I ended up with 2-55gal barrels of Mobil DTE24 hydro oil, still un-opened. I was told I need to watch what hydraulic oil goes in to make sure I don't burn up my pump. I am not sure what to look for to verify this will work in my M62. Anyone able to offer assistance?

dragonwagon

Been in towing 35 years . hour hyd sytems are not fussy on what type or brand of hyd fluid used . The weight of the oil is probable the main issue . ISO 32 is a very common weight . Higher or lower is fine as long as its not way up or down the scale .

Light oil is used for cold weater , heveier in warmer climates . Many tractors , loaders and so on are much more specific in what hyd oil is used as it is often shared with the trans and other components .

gimpyrobb

Thanks guys, sounds like my wrecker's hydraulic oil will get swapped out for new in the next few days! Wonder how much is left with all those hoses I blew out.

runk

Before you start pumping it in, take some of the old and some on the new and mix it in a clear cup, make sure it mixes. With a quick look, this looks like a standard hydrocarbon base oil, and I assume the old oil in the wrecker is as well, but mixing them is a quick check for incompatible oils. Some of the newer "environmentally friendly" oils have other bases and form this really nasty snot when you mix them with the older oils. There used to be an issue with hose types, but if you've replaced most of the hoses that shouldn't be an issue.

gimpyrobb

Thanks runk, everything I have put in has been HC base oil too, but I willcertainly check before re-filling.

wdbtchr

Been in towing 35 years . hour hyd sytems are not fussy on what type or brand of hyd fluid used . The weight of the oil is probable the main issue . ISO 32 is a very common weight . Higher or lower is fine as long as its not way up or down the scale .

Light oil is used for cold weater , heveier in warmer climates . Many tractors , loaders and so on are much more specific in what hyd oil is used as it is often shared with the trans and other components .
Most of the hydraulic oils like Case TCH just have higher levels of anti-foam agents for the torque converters. Shouldn't hurt a thing.:beer:Good score!

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The wrecker hyd is a simple system. Just about any hyd oil will work. I'd use it if it were mine.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep, when I got my backhoe they had replaced it with ATF. Now I'm switching it back.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks