• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hydraulic system

Givinup

Is the hydraulic system on the m1088a1 an open or closed system.

I need to remove the spare tie hydraulic jack and am wondering if I need to be prepared for a few gallons to leak out, or the entire system. Likewise, I need to learn how to refill it and close it back up.

I can't seem to find the hydraulic reservoir/fill. Unless it's taking off the hydraulic to air unit cover.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Scott z

I have the same questions as the op. I don't see a reservoir either. (2003 m1078-a1). I've looked behind the cab where the original manual shows it should be and I don't see anything on either side.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Its in the middle, under the decontamination bracket. Has a knurled screw for the filler.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, like Suprman said, it has a little knurled knob on the top of it that is the fill port / dipstick.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Its a closed system, based on what I think you are asking. If the valve for the subsystem you are dismantling, like the tire lift, is closed, no oil will leak out except that in the hoses and cylinder of that subsystem. Plugging is still a good idea so a misplaced valve position does not dump oil accidentally.

Givinup

Its a closed system, based on what I think you are asking. If the valve for the subsystem you are dismantling, like the tire lift, is closed, no oil will leak out except that in the hoses and cylinder of that subsystem. Plugging is still a good idea so a misplaced valve position does not dump oil accidentally.
Great info, thank you. That's the plan, but I'll plug anyways.

Checked the hydraulic reservoir and it's way below the refill line. The hydraulic jack is the only think leaking to my knowledge, but I'll refill and check after plugging the jack. Appreciate the suggestions.

Givinup

Checked out my hydraulic pump reservoir yesterday, turns out it's really low. Upon removing the spare tire jack (that was leaking) what's the beat way to bleed the hydraulic system of air (on the hydraulic side)?

Can I fill up the reservoir with the knurled nut off, or should I fill in stages and run the cab jack to circulate the new hydro fluid in, stop and repeat?

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think it's self bleeding. Did you check the manual, in sections related to something like changing the cab hydraulic cylinder or the pump, to see what it says? You'll find that the manuals are amazingly detailed so that even the greenest of mechanics can perform the work (e.g. it will tell you to take a bolt out, remove a part, and then to store the bolt back in the hole [until you get to the section to replace the part]).

Givinup

I think it's self bleeding. Did you check the manual, in sections related to something like changing the cab hydraulic cylinder or the pump, to see what it says? You'll find that the manuals are amazingly detailed so that even the greenest of mechanics can perform the work (e.g. it will tell you to take a bolt out, remove a part, and then to store the bolt back in the hole [until you get to the section to replace the part]).
I haven't yet. The manual I have isn't searchable, and the only medium I have to view it is on my phone (no access from work or home), so it makes viewing the manual somewhat cumbersome. I can certainly use it, it just takes longer usually for quick answers.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I haven't yet. The manual I have isn't searchable, and the only medium I have to view it is on my phone (no access from work or home), so it makes viewing the manual somewhat cumbersome. I can certainly use it, it just takes longer usually for quick answers.

Well you could always stop by your local library are print that section of the TM off.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks