• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hydraulic Winch?

George

anyone have any experience with the hydraulic winch kit for the HMMWV?
FSN 2590-01-456-7879. I got it without looking at it very closely and I thought it was electric when I bought it. Are these common? This seems like a great idea but I am surprised that the power steering has enough flow to operate it.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hi George,
I don't have any experience with the hydraulic winch kit, just the electric one.

I just wanted to take this opportunity to welcome you to SS. It's great to have another guy with your vast experience on board. I look forward to seeing you online. Come join us in chat some evening :)

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have that winch on my humvee, I wouldnt trade it for any other humvee mounted winch.. Install is pretty easy, the PS pump works well...

Milemarker did well with that one.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
The Army swapped out almost all of the Warn electics on HMMWV's soon after the war in Iraq started. The winch is so much better at handling long hard winching that the MTBF is way beyond what any brand of electic will give you. The Milemarker company has adapter kits for them to mount on most vehicles and you can even remote them to the rear with longer hydraulic lines. The neat thing about them is that they reach their max capacity just under the power steering pump max pressure which is where the pump usually is operating while running. I am going to get one one of these days and put it on one of our trucks that is currently sans winch. Hope you get it up and running soon and post some pictures of it. The milemarker web site has lots of good info on these and you can get a free winch comparison DVD from them too. http://www.milemarker.com/

TedG

Can someone give me an idea as to the value of such a hmmwv hydraulic winch? I have a chance to get one (not George's) and I would like to know a reasonable price...

Regards,

BKinzey

TedG said:
Can someone give me an idea as to the value of such a hmmwv hydraulic winch? I have a chance to get one (not George's) and I would like to know a reasonable price...

Regards,

I'd suggest looking up MileMarker civy winches, figure 50% off for used? Maybe look on eBay?

67Beast

I have the 10,500 milemarker on my off-road Jeep and it beats any electric I've ever used before it. It stays at a constant pull where electrics once they get hot start loosing power. One good tip is to put an aftermarket trans cooler in the return line back to the PS pump to help keep fuild temps under control.

Attachments

TedG

Thanks for the help. I might pick one up, new in crate complete with all goodies for the hmmwv so I will offer him a little less than his asking and go from there

Regards,

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you get it and need any help with the install, PM me. Teh hardest thing is the A arm bolts swaping them out... And the stupid wire that is unlabeled in the instal manual that taps the vehicles 24V is the temp sensor. Dont ask me how how I know, or how long it took to figure that out, or how many calls to MM......... :)

TedG

Thanks emmando22...will do if I pick it up. I need to find out what is included and then go from there.

TedG

That is the same kit setup I am looking at here in MI. George, thanks for taking the time to pull the kit apart for it helps me a lot with the one I am looking at! Joel, you better buy this one!

BTW, I like the "Abused World Wide" tag line!

67Beast

I see that the valve levers on the end are the older stamped steel ones. Mile Marker has new cast T handle ones that work much better and will swap right on. You can get them right from Mile Marker as replacement parts.