• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I accidentally joined a convoy the other day.

stranger75

I was on my way home from work this past sunday afternoon, driving my m1009, and happened upon a military convoy. I assume it was headed to Ft Campbell. There were about 20 or so humvees, some with trailers, a fuel truck, and a couple of larger six wheel trucks. I'm not very good at naming those on sight. The whole convoy was moving at about 55 mph, and I was going a little faster, with the flow of traffic. several of the soldiers I passed did double takes, apparently surprised to see a desert tan cucv driving alongside them. I waved. After I had passed about 3/4's of the column, I merged to the right to get to my exit, which would take me onto a local parkway that links I40 with I65 and I24. The convoy merged with me, and I ended up sandwiched between a couple of Humvees for about half a mile. I have to say it was a little odd being in that position, as I was driving an ex military vehicle, bearded and wearing a red t shirt, while they are actual military personnel, wearing BDU's and helmets. When I got the chance, I pulled out to the left, and continued to pass the rest of the column. I gave a wave and a little honk of the horn to the column leader, and went on my way.

I guess it really wasn't that unusual, but I thought some of you folks might like to hear that story. Thanks!

Maverick1701

very cool!

When I brought my M35 home from Odgen, UT I had a convoy pass me. It was pretty neat..everyone honked and waved...then we kept on trucking.

Westech

CPL
It may be neat but.... its kinda a no no to merge with a convoy. If your exit is coming up your best off staying behind it.
If there was a car that tried to enter one of our convoys state side we did everything we could to keep you out of it.
and over here.. well lets just say its not nice.

camp9

When we went down to the Findlay show back in May we passed two convoys on I75 with the M1009 pulling a M101. They all looked, the ones that waved we waved back.

OL AG '89

Westech has it correct! Although you may think it's o.k. to just "join in". The convoy commander has a specific number and types of vehicles alloted for the convoy based on details submitted to his/her Department of Public Safety. They all MUST carry a convoy number, and they must adhere to a HOST of other rules to be able to move the vehicles.
The rule of thumb for us while I was in, was simple. If a civilian vehicle "accidently merged" within the convoy, the lead vehicle would slow down to 35 - 40 mph.... coordinated through the radio so we didn't cause a pile up. The civilian then finding out it wasn't "that cool" would unmerge themselves and go about their merry way. The obvious other issue is the fact that the BIG trucks don't stop all that well and the thought of a camry, lexus, corvette or other little vehicle getting sandwiched between two 5 tons was never appealing.
So, if you ever want to join a "REAL" convoy..... SIGN UP !!! Uncle Sam stills wants YOU.... he had me for 21 plus years.....

flighht2k5

Banned
I was on my way home from work this past sunday afternoon, driving my m1009, and happened upon a military convoy. I assume it was headed to Ft Campbell. There were about 20 or so humvees, some with trailers, a fuel truck, and a couple of larger six wheel trucks. I'm not very good at naming those on sight. The whole convoy was moving at about 55 mph, and I was going a little faster, with the flow of traffic. several of the soldiers I passed did double takes, apparently surprised to see a desert tan cucv driving alongside them. I waved. After I had passed about 3/4's of the column, I merged to the right to get to my exit, which would take me onto a local parkway that links I40 with I65 and I24. The convoy merged with me, and I ended up sandwiched between a couple of Humvees for about half a mile. I have to say it was a little odd being in that position, as I was driving an ex military vehicle, bearded and wearing a red t shirt, while they are actual military personnel, wearing BDU's and helmets. When I got the chance, I pulled out to the left, and continued to pass the rest of the column. I gave a wave and a little honk of the horn to the column leader, and went on my way.

I guess it really wasn't that unusual, but I thought some of you folks might like to hear that story. Thanks!
We haven't had bdu's in about 5 years.

stranger75

There was really not much I could do about it. I was already in the right hand lane, which is exit only, and the convoy merged around me. I had no choice but to be stuck with them for the exit lane, exit ramp, on ramp, and right lane of the next road until I got up to speed to pass.

MarcusOReallyus

:funny:

Don't sweat it, stranger. They may not like it, but legally, they are just other vehicles on the road. They have no right to keep you out and you aren't going to get a ticket for it.

If someone is deliberately messing with them, I'd join the chorus of "don't do that!", but you didn't do anything wrong.

In Germany, we always had the road to ourselves.

Driving a 113 on the Authbahn is kind of a kick, even if you're only doing about 25. :mrgreen:

cscmc1

I owe my CUCV ownership to the impression that military convoys left on me as a kid. Seems we used to see one or two on every longer road trip of my youth! I hadn't seen one in ages, and over 4th of July weekend and week, on a trip from IL to WI, we passed several MV convoys. It was sure a sight, and I pointed every one out to my wife, and told her about how excited I used to get when I'd see all those woodland camo (or OD) trucks belching diesel exhaust. Now they're almost all Baghdad beige, but it's still a kick to see. I felt for the guys in the vehicles, though, in ACU's with sleeves down in 100-degree heat, with no AC!

Anyway, cool story!

Csm Davis

:funny:

Don't sweat it, stranger. They may not like it, but legally, they are just other vehicles on the road. They have no right to keep you out and you aren't going to get a ticket for it.

If someone is deliberately messing with them, I'd join the chorus of "don't do that!", but you didn't do anything wrong.

In Germany, we always had the road to ourselves.

Driving a 113 on the Authbahn is kind of a kick, even if you're only doing about 25. :mrgreen:
Actually in some states there are laws about military convoys, in Mississippi we have several laws on the books, one I remember off the top of my head is they do not have to stop at intersections, don't remember if they have to post roadguards or not.

cscmc1

Actually in some states there are laws about military convoys, in Mississippi we have several laws on the books, one I remember off the top of my head is they do not have to stop at intersections, don't remember if they have to post roadguards or not.
I believe most states require that the lead vehicle obey stop signs and traffic lights, but all subsequent vehicles need not stop. Something to that effect, but yes, you're right, there are specific laws on the books.

Here's a blurb from a PR .pdf published by the Minnesota Guard:

"Can I drive between military vehicles in a convoy?
Yes. Military convoy operations are designed to safely move vehicles and equipment on public
highways between locations. Convoys are subject to all the same highway safety regulations.
While civilian drivers may not feel comfortable passing military vehicles or driving in the middle
of a convoy, as long as safe traveling distances and speeds are maintained, there are no
regulations against driving between military vehicles in a convoy."

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The type of convoy formation is very important. In a Close Column, the vehicle speeds must be under 25 mph and the distance between vehicles is 25 - 50 meters. In an Open Column formation, the speeds are over 25 mph and the distance between vehicles is ~100 meters. Open Column formations are much more common on open highways and expressways and the large distance of ~100 meters between vehicles almost invites civilian vehicles to merge with the military vehicles. If a civilian vehicle ends up merging with a military convoy, the civilian vehicle should exit the convoy at the earliest opportunity to help the Convoy Commander maintain the integrity of the convoy.

Lonekazoo

I was helping MarkMontana recover his m185a3 from Ft. Leonard Wood, and as I was driving away from the GL lot, which is way at the far end of the base (he was still back there finishing paperwork), I got stopped at a light. I watched about 20 or 30 Strykers, MRAPS, and other heavy trucks make a right turn onto the road I was on. The light changed, and the back half of the group stopped. As I entered the intersection I realized I was now part of their convoy of maybe 40 or 50 fully-manned trucks. They were headed to a basic training graduation ceremony. Needless to say, it was very intimidating driving through the base with them. I eventually pulled over, but now I wished I had the guts to keep following them down the parade route. MarkMontana's truck was in pristine condition, markings intact, without all the GL graffiti, I think I could have gotten away with it...

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There was really not much I could do about it. I was already in the right hand lane, which is exit only, and the convoy merged around me. I had no choice but to be stuck with them for the exit lane, exit ramp, on ramp, and right lane of the next road until I got up to speed to pass.
So you are saying that they where impressed with your convoy of ONE and decided to join you....:p

Can't control that.

Skinny

I believe most states require that the lead vehicle obey stop signs and traffic lights, but all subsequent vehicles need not stop. Something to that effect, but yes, you're right, there are specific laws on the books.

Here's a blurb from a PR .pdf published by the Minnesota Guard:

"Can I drive between military vehicles in a convoy?
Yes. Military convoy operations are designed to safely move vehicles and equipment on public
highways between locations. Convoys are subject to all the same highway safety regulations.
While civilian drivers may not feel comfortable passing military vehicles or driving in the middle
of a convoy, as long as safe traveling distances and speeds are maintained, there are no
regulations against driving between military vehicles in a convoy."
Perfect scenario where a basic sign on the back vehicle would solve everything like "DO NOT INTERRUPT CONVOY"

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, all us CIVILIANS should just pull over and let all you military types rule the road.

You guys honestly need to get a grip.

He was on his way some place and was just using the road like everyone ELSE who pays for it. Oh, and to be clear your taxes AND MINE paid for that road and PAYS YOUR SALARY.

So how about giving the new guy just a LITTLE slack. As he said, he wasn't trying to be a 'convoy of one' (seems that's an ARMY motto? or was) he was just going about his business and Stranger75 even says, and I QUOTE

After I had passed about 3/4's of the column, I merged to the right to get to my exit, which would take me onto a local parkway that links I40 with I65 and I24. The convoy merged with me, and I ended up sandwiched between a couple of Humvees for about half a mile.

He even said he felt a little odd about even being involved in the whole thing. How about you guys welcome him and then KINDLY explain why it MIGHT NOT be the best thing to have happen.

But what, they were moving slower than he was, they were a LONG convoy (not just four or six vehicles) and he TRIED to get around before his exit came up but could not. What should he have done? Hit his brakes in the LEFT LANE and then let all these trucks go by?

REALLY?

Stranger75, ignore them. And WELCOME TO STEEL SOLDIERS. Most of us are not as... um.... is anal a good word to use here... not sure.

Most of us are easy going and realize that SOMETIMES chit happens that you have ZERO control over.

SO AGAIN, WELCOME TO STEEL SOLDIERS.

stranger75

Thanks. I certainly did not mean to stir anything up by telling you guys about this. Living 45 miles from an army base awards me the opportunity to see military vehicles quite often. There are always tractor trailers carrying MV's of all sorts on the highways. I get to see badass helicopters flying from time to time, and every once in a while, there is a convoy on the road. By mentioning my run in with a convoy, I did not mean to start any arguments about proper conduct around military vehicles on the road. I'm a civilian, and I use the road same as every one else. When I got stuck running with those trucks, I would have been just like every other Honda Accord or Dodge Ram that was also using the same exit. I just happened to be driving an ex military 1984 M1009. It was oddly out of place, and in place at the same time.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, all us CIVILIANS should just pull over and let all you military types rule the road.

You guys honestly need to get a grip.

I think you are the one that doesn't understand. It is obvious that you have not been in the military. No one is picking on Stranger75. People are simply expressing opinions.

There are severl things to consider here. Many military vehicles are quite large and difficult to maneuver quickly. Stopping distances can be very long compared to civilian vehicles. Many MVs also have very poor visibility while driving, especially the up-armored MVs and large tactical MVs. If you have ever been in one of these it is very difficult to see other vehicles, especially to the sides. Regardless of whether State laws require giving the right of way to a military convoy, it only makes sense to go out of one's way to accommodate the convoy by falling in behind if possible, realizing that sometimes this is not possible. Safety is the main concern and common courtesy and common sense should prevail at all times.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks