• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I am likeing the M35A3 more each time I drive it!

trukhead

I just got from a little drive around the patch. Fireflies are out in force, ground and grass are wet from the rain of the last 2 days.

Those big knarly tires have grip but that truck will slide around a bit in the wet grass!:driver: I immediate thought how apropos, the phrase: "caution slippery when wet" when it's applied to things I like! Now I gotta take her for a ride,;-)

The M35A3 is loosening up a bit, suspension just floats over the little holes in the field. the tranny is shifting very well, CTIS inflates and deflates right on que. The truck is just a nice ride and it is a relaxing smooth ride.

I like the sound of the little cat engine. It is very pleasant to listen to. I am learning to modulate the shifting by not hammering the accelerator and ram shifting but just bringing up the RPM's gradually just enough to shift up and then back off a bit to cruise and not rev the snot out of the cat and it sounds good! I like t cruise and about 1500 to 1800 rpms or just enough to keep it from downshifting.

I am thinking the M35A3 was the best choice for me. I am disabled and that automatic tranny is so easy! I still can shift gears if I need to in a day cab freightliner for the neighbor but I sure don't want to.

:soapbox: fat lady sings :beer: 2cents

trukhead

Another Drive in the Duece.

I just got back from another run in the Duece. I was a little disheartened prior to the run because the right front tire was flat. I went and found a new 50 foot air hose and got a new glad hand and a nice Milton tire inflator head and assembled it into a nice new tool for the deuce. :D
Well I fired up the deuce and let the air build and thought I would inflate the tire with my fresh new tool, Hah no dice, the air system doesn't work like that-nutz!:???:
Pondering a sour crap sandwich :idea:I figured lets see if that CTIS really inflates tires. I set the CTIS to emergency and let the truck deflate it's tires. I sat and watched the truck for a good 15 minutes and listened to the various noises it produces. air hissing here, there, up over there and then a whoosh! I figured, Well it deflates tires. I then proceeded to set the CTIS to highway and again watched the truck and listened to it run and fart air here and there and to my surprise the flat tire started to inflate! :-o I figured, WOW someone on SS said this wasn't supposed to happen. I can just sit and watch work fat lady singsso I figure me intervening and inflating the tire was more than I cared to do at this point I would just see how much air that system would actually pump into that pesky tire.:grd:
The suspense was buggin me so after the side wall was a good solid 2/3rd's of the way inflated I figured it's time to motorvate and i proceeded to make a run around the patch:driver:
I generally start my run revvin to about 1600 rpm and limiting the gear selector to 3rd in low range so I then reset the CTIS back to emergency and let the truck redump the air. The thinking was that the closer I could get the tires in air pressure, the closer they would be re-inflating, so after a dump to 19 lbs air pressure I reset the rig to highway and ran a mile into the tires inspecting various sites in a 100 acre backyard. At the end of that run I noticed I was at about 29 psi so I figured it was time too re dump and then get to a road trip to rev up the air system and get a solid highway inflation. after about 4 miles I noticed I had 45 psi indicated on the box and when I shut er down I inspected and noticed all the tires were nicely standing at attention!:jumpin:[thumbzup]
I really enjoy diving that M35A3!:-D Now we will see if the tires are still inflated in the morning!

I am new to this site so I figured this testing forums was a good place to try this writing thing out.What do you think?

trukhead

12 hours later and...

12 hours later and the tires are up and ready to rock! 8) I realizesd-suspect that I activated the CTIS and didn't allow it to fully cycle 2 triips ago and one of the somethings in the somewhere in there that governed that tire was stuck in the open position or was slightly ajar. I am going to give it another bunch of time and seee what the tire-system does!

:beer:

trukhead

30 some hours later...

And the tires are still up and at attention! YaY! the CTIS system is working. I bet I activated and shut off the system 3 drives ago prior to it completing its cycle and something deactivated prior to full seal.
I found manuals for the M35A3 and the CUCV so now I have some reading to do.
I figured out that the air lines to the glad hands have valves so My tool is not for naught.;)

I am liken this truck more and more each day! It sure is full of surprises and the manuals really help. I am thinking I should look for a low hour low mileage M35A2 of later year designation to drive to make a fair comparison but I stand by the statement that the M35A3 is the finest iteration of the duece !:soapbox::rant:rofl:deadhorse::beer:

trukhead

Another Drive in the Duece.

Yet again the steel soldier is ready to be operated, the tires have not leaked down and it jumps to idle when the switches are activated. I am enjoying driving it every time I go out on "patrol" around the patch. We are getting bear sightings around the area so I like the visibility, soft ride and nice quiet running this machine emanates.:driver:I know it rides alot smoother than the CUCV in the bumpy field when them wheels drop into them shallow holes along the run.

I may hope to acquire a mint nice M35A2 to drive and make a fair comparison but i really like this A3.:soapbox:

I hit a low hanging tree and bent the rear bows a bit and put a 6 inch rip in the rear canvas and I managed to get the bows out of the pockets and the canvas off alone. It's a challenge cause I get so **** fatigued in the hot sun and get paralyzed. It passes when I cool off and rest a bit. climbing up the deuce is a little challenge that I use to remind my self of all those who have it a helluva lots worse than me so I quite my bitchin and enjoy every thing I can do like

GET THe DUECE FIREd Up and go for A RIDE! rofl

I plan on straightening up the bows and Pliobonding and sewing a patch in to the canvas cause I didn't kink them.:grd: and I want to do as invisible reapair as I can:p

I like yapping about how much I enjoy the duece and I can't wait to title and license and liability insure it even though it will be a WI license. I plan on it being a very high maiintanance vehicle! ;-)

I am reading the TM's to figure out how and what to lubricate, drain and replenish and check and ......[thumbzup]

Driving this rig reminds me of the old 67 F100 or the 78 F150 Dad got new and I drove till they was recycled and how much I liked the feel of the wheel and how it ran. THis Duece feels as nimble to me as that F100 or 78 F150 and soft riding and actually easier to drive. Progress!!:hammer:

Does any one read this and have I convinced you that the M35A3 is the best truck in the universe? Sometimes I feel:tin hat:

trukhead

Jones'en for a drive!

I want to go for a drive in the Duece but the fuel gauge says E to 1/4 tank. Well you say fill it and I respond, here in WI I am waiting for the new HMV license to go into effect so I can put a plate and liabuty insurance on it and go to town to get a nice fix of fresh on-road low-sulfer sweet happy go juice. :jumpin:

AAAHHHHH.......................roflfat lady sings

BigWill1276

I just bought a M35A3 from South Carolina. I'm gonna fly out there and pick it up and drive it back to Vegas. Long journey, but life's too short to not drive slow and smell the roses. Where did you find the TM for the A3? I looked on the resources tab and was not successful. Anyways good times ahead, jeep the post comin.

trukhead

HI and Congrats.....

Here is a copy of a PM I received from SS member pacebm with the location of these manuals. Please send him a message and thank him. please give him rep power as he really helped and is a fine member. I think he is starting a sort of surplus resale business, any way ask him. I have not figured rep power out yet.

"I tried to send them but yahoo wouldn't accept. I posted them at http://www.scribd.com

If you don’t already have an account it is free to sign up and you can search for the files by the numbers below. I will talk to a moderator at SS and see if I can’t get them posted on the site.

LO 9-2320-386-12
TM 9-2320-386-10-HR
TM 9-2320-386-10
TM 9-2320-386-24-1-1
TM 9-2320-386-24-1-2
TM 9-2320-386-24p

The trucks are slow as they have no overdrive but I enjoy mine. I like the look, a lot of guys on here do not. There is some bias to these trucks in the forums so be aware. Give me some rep power if you get a chance, I am trying to build my standing here on the site. I have recently started a surplus business and the rep power is very important. "

Check out my other posts in forums as I discuss my finding in driving my M35A3, maybe you can glean some tidbits of other members insights.

Your trip sounds like a gas, have fun! Now for my2cents, I would find a big truck place in the area where you pickup your fine new machine that specializes in Allison trannys and check yours out maybe flush it and replenish the fluid with fresh new juice. I picked mine up and it was only 60 miles away but I had it hauled and It was in perfect operating condition but I did not want to take the chance as it was 20 degrees farenhieght.

I would check and change the engine oil, do the tranny, axles, check brakes and any thing else you can thinks of. I believe the truck should make the trip just fine, but a breakdown and (Deity of your choice) forbid, you have to haul er home that bill will far exceed the preventative maintenance in the area you pick er up in.

I also would not over rev the engine on the highway because of the 5 inch stroke. I would run about 2200 max and that is going to seem very slow on the road but remember, running these engines with such a long stroke in like running a nascar engine in a 500 mile race. they tear down those engine every race. Physics will bite you in the a_$ every time and F=MxA. the stress on those heavy pistons and rods being exerted on and going through the bearings and protected by that thin film of oil in the heat is riding a fine edge. I think a taken care of Cat engine that is not over revved will last a gazillion miles but a Cat like any other over-revved engine will die quickly or at least have to be refurbed. The Mil changed them when needed at yours, mine and every body elses' expense. I don't thinks they will foot the bill again. :soapbox:
All this is just my opinion so do what you want, but most importantly have fun on that trip! 'Best of luck to ya! :grin: :jumpin: :grd: [thumbzup] :beer:

trukhead

and another thing....

In one of the posts a member stated that an air line in the area of the fan shroud or on the fan clutch failed and he ended up with a fan taking out the radiator so keep searchin and try to ge tinformed. Just sayin......

trukhead

one more thing...

these manuals state "Approved for public release; distribution is unlimited" so I presume there is no coyright infringement. happy reading and thanks to all soldiers past present and future and thanks to Uncle Sam for everything!

:beer:

trukhead

Tires still inflated after all this time elapsed....

I couldn't stand lookin at the rig so I had to look at the gauge and I decided there is enough fuel in it for a run and a run to town for a fresh tank after I check on liability ins. or call it a tractor-farm specific implement not needing plates until WI's HMV is available and it is covered in some form or another on the farm insurance so I can fuel it up in town this week at the co-op.

CTIS is keeping the tires up to pressure and ready to rock. I like the M35A3 a lot.

I was approached by a fellow about purchasing a supposed WWII truck. He claimed it runs well and is rust free but the windows are busted out of it. It is a Gas rig and the power Co. installed a 20 ton winch on the back for pullin power lines. He claims it was from CA and has a title.

WHat am I looking for to ID this rig? :jumpin:

trukhead

Tires are still inflated after all this time!

The Duece has been sitting and the tires are still inflated! Yay! that CTIS system is working. Haven't driven much because I'm waiting to fuel er up.:jumpin:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks