• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I am not 18 anymore

bones1

What innovative ways have you guys come up with to open the hood that's a little easier on us old soldiers?. Steps, sticks, hydraulic rams,cables, from the ground etc?. Do you carry a ladder with you?.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Stand on the front bumper. Make sure your hood has a handle.

Pinkie

What innovative ways have you guys come up with to open the hood that's a little easier on us old soldiers?. Steps, sticks, hydraulic rams,cables, from the ground etc?. Do you carry a ladder with you?.
Mine came with a step on the front, original issue. It really helps. I am not saying buy it from this company but there is a picture. truck body parts: M35A2 and 5 Ton Front Bumper Step Kit N.O.S. Sales, Buy truck body parts: M35A2 and 5 Ton Front Bumper Step Kit N.O.S. Products from alibaba.com

P

Sirblissfull

The M820A2 has a 2 step fold down ladder on the front drivers side bumper. I am debating installing a length of catwalk between the grill and bumper. Balancing on the frame extensions or fender while lifting the hood about got me a couple months ago.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Leave it unsecured and hit 40 mph.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I feel your pain. Try opening the A3 hood, it is bigger and has the soundproofing. Makes me tired just doing that simple task.
My A3 didn't come with a step like my A2 has. I'm going to add a step to my A3. Whatever is done, safety is paramount. There is a lot of iron out front that can do a lot of damage if you land on it. It is also critical to secure the hood with the latch once opened. A little wind can ruin your whole day.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A handle on the hood, and I also carry a 6' step ladder in the back.

I stand on the bumper, off to the drivers side. I lift it about 1-2', then step onto the fender while lifting the hood all the way up. Then I lean it gently against the top of the windshield frame. I then secure the hood safety rod to the hook.

To close it, I let it drop, while standing on the fender, from about 1-2' up.

The 5 ton hood is worse.

Bighurt

I wonder if anyone has done a butterfly mod...

I don't have issues with my hood, but then again I'm still active duty, just not 18.

Sirblissfull

Install a knuckle boom behind the cab to arch over the cab and open the hood.

OR just buy a wrecker and install a lift point on the hood in place of a handle.