• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I am Wondering... Noob questions inside

Mandalore

Ok I saw on the net a 4 door deuce that had both axels in the rear still with the long bed not shortened. It said at the bottom of the pic Hot Rod Deuce at steel soldiers. I was just wondering if it was a modified deuce or a 5 ton truck?

Also do you need a CDL to drive a 5 ton beast? What kind of gas mileage do the 5 tons get compared to the Deuces? Just curious. I am not to knowledgeable about CDLs and all that. I know I didnt have to have a CDL to drive a armored truck for Brinks.

Do Deuces and 5 tons not have a fire wall in them? I read a post from a guy here in Tx that said the engine heat goes right in the cab and it can get up to 140 degrees in the cab. Just wondering why that is.

Also, are these trucks hard to work on? I am not a mechanic or anything but I have worked on my vehicles from time to time, like brakes, clutch repair, replacing thermostats and stuff like that. Just wondering if it would be something that I would have to be really proficient at or would I be able figure out?

I am wanting a Deuce or a 5 ton. But I am torn between modding it to be more user friendly, heater, keeping it cool in the cab during the summer possibly modding it to look like the 4 door I saw in the pic, or keeping it as is. First thing I have to save the cash so its going to be a while but I wanted to ask some questions before I got to far into it.

Thanks

tm america

deuces ussually get around 10mpg and five tons around 6mpg. of course they have firewalls.but they are not insulted so there is alot of heat transfer from the engine to the cab.some 5 tons you need a cdl some you can drive without just depend on which one it is. anything over 26000lbs will need one unless it is titled as an rv. deuce =no cld except ca. five tons are nice but for most a deuce does the job just fine not to mention the price difference between the deuce and 5 ton. you can get a deuce put power steering on it and still have money to play with for what you would have in a 5 ton

jimm1009

If you don't shorten the bed then you will have about a 4 foot overhang to the rear fo the frame with no support for the bed.
I have seen the dual or extended deuce with the M105 trailer bed as shown above and with a genuice deuce bed that had been shortened too.
Those extended cabs are really sexy but very labor intensive hense the $$ that are aksed for them.
I've only seen them with the hard top which is two top panels put together as well. Lots of hours involved but very very nice when done.
There are threads with pictures on this topic in S.S.
There are one or two S.S. memebers that do this from time to time for trucks to sell or they can modify yours.
Great mod for larger families with more members that are interested in the deuce.

jimm1009

royaltiger1945

I have seen a picture of the one with the 4 doors and the tandems and long bed that I believe Mandalore is describing. It is a M36A2 with a regular M35 12' bed instead. I just can't remember where I saw it as I was thinking of doing the same but using a M109 box and making it a camper.

KsM715

....some 5 tons you need a cdl some you can drive without just depend on which one it is. anything over 26000lbs will need one unless it is titled as an rv.

Not exactly. It depends on the state you live in and wether you intend to use it comercially or for private use. If you want to use it for a bussiness the yes you obviously need a cdl but for private use you do not. (in Kansas)

There are many members here (in this forum) in Tx and own both 5tons and deuces, search them out and PM them.

Mandalore

OP is talking about hot rod deuce's truck. I will try to find the link.
Yep thats it. I have it set as my background on my lap top right now cause that is soooooooooo awesome. I am torn whether I want something like that or a normal deuce. I could use either today. Its nice and snowy here today.

Thanks guys I will find some peps here in Tx and see if they know the answer. Much Obliged :)

tm america

that truck is everything a modded deuce should be .wow just awsome its great to see someone still know how to make a truck bigger and badder :driver:my christmas list just got longer for next year:drool:

UpstateNYer

Yep thats it. I have it set as my background on my lap top right now cause that is soooooooooo awesome. I am torn whether I want something like that or a normal deuce. I could use either today. Its nice and snowy here today.
He started with a standard M35A2 and added 4' of frame, as someone mentioned starting with a M36 would be easier as it is already 4' longer. Also with the 53" tires he had to rework the rear suspension to change the distance between the rear axles. All of this can be done, but as I have come to find out nothing on these trucks is light. Heavy equiptment is needed for just about everything, no calling 3 of your buddies to help remove the bed. Unless 1 of them brings a crane that is.

rockwellcorse

Can someone send me a pm with some info on a crew cab and power steering for my deuce.
I saw some people are using a 5ton pump for the steering but what else in needed? On the crew cab, can i use my cab that I have and weld another to it or is it cheaper to buy a whole crew cab?
Thanks

deuce is in North Florida

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks