• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I bought a 1998 Plan B M998 yesterday

Action

Looks like they painted everything in the engine compartment including the rubber hoses...or is that armorall? Painted underneath of it, too.

Looks like the right side airlift hoop is missing the flat plastic piece on top of the rubber.

Last edited:

kcobean

Looks like they painted everything in the engine compartment including the rubber hoses...or is that armorall? Painted underneath of it, too.

Looks like the right side airlift hoop is missing the flat plastic piece on top of the rubber.
Yeah hard to tell if they just emptied a couple of cans of Krylon under the hood or just did a really good job of dressing everything. I'll let ya know in a couple of weeks.

NormB

Just throwing my hat in the ring...I also want to hear more about what you think of this HMMWV once you pick it up. I've heard so many mixed opinions on these things, but I don't think we've received a report back directly from an actual owner. Either they're so proud of them that they go out and ride them to the wheels fall off, or they're so ashamed of them that they never come back...

Funny you mention that, that way.

I recall a post a couple weeks (month or so?) from someone who was going to pick his truck up in Utah and drive it back to what, New Jersey?

Whatever happened to that guy (chime in if you're that guy). How'd the ride go? How do you like your truck? Do your ears ring now? Back okay?

Those seats do look comfortable though.

kcobean

Funny you mention that, that way.

I recall a post a couple weeks (month or so?) from someone who was going to pick his truck up in Utah and drive it back to what, New Jersey?

Whatever happened to that guy (chime in if you're that guy). How'd the ride go? How do you like your truck? Do your ears ring now? Back okay?

Those seats do look comfortable though.
Wasn't me!

kcobean

Veritread = $$$$ I hope they paid for it.
They actually weren't bad. I've had a few sports cars transported similar distances that were comparable in price. Granted, those were in enclosed trailers, but I don't expect I would have done too much better than Veritread's best offer by arranging my own transport for the HMMWV. And given the ridiculous bankers hours of the depot where these things are stored, having someone who was able to deal with getting a truck there during pickup hours had value to me.

Augi

I inspected one of these in person at the MVPA national meet last summer in Pleasanton, Ca.

I was not particularly impressed. If I remember correctly a lot of their additions were held together or installed with self tapping sheet metal screws. Also, the way the roof was mounted to the top of the windshield frame was by drilling clear through the frame and installing an overly long bolt with a nut and fender washer.

A second rate job for sure.

Augi

kcobean

I inspected one of these in person at the MVPA national meet last summer in Pleasanton, Ca.

I was not particularly impressed. If I remember correctly a lot of their additions were held together or installed with self tapping sheet metal screws. Also, the way the roof was mounted to the top of the windshield frame was by drilling clear through the frame and installing an overly long bolt with a nut and fender washer.

A second rate job for sure.

Augi
Thanks for the feedback Augi. Sounds like I may have some work cut out for me cleaning this thing up. I'm ready.

cptnblk

I would work with PlanB over CCT any day.
Buying from CCT is like going to prom with homecoming queen, only to find she is a drag-queen.

Last edited:

StackJ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Definitely interested seeing how PlanB vehicles work out. Did you consider Predator in SoCal or Florida? I went to their shop last week to find out what they do on prop shafts. As far as a Hmmwv shop, they do it right. They mainly do H1s but there was a 998 two-man troop that they were sticking a Duramax into as well as a few others in the lot. Said it was sold already, going for $38k. I enjoyed meeting them and felt that they were serious about the business. I didn't get the idea that they were just a bolt-on shop even though it might look that way from the web.

kcobean

You get your rig yet?
I did! Here's my "day 3 report":

The driver called me on Friday a couple hours prior to arrival and said that when he picked it up in Utah the batteries were dead and it had to be jumped to get it on the transporter so we might have to do the same thing to get it off. He was right, and it was a fiasco. The batteries, which were not 6TL batteries but tiny little Walmart branded small car batteries, were completely dead and couldn't even be jump started. We tried to charge the batteries from a jump box and the Ford F150 on the lower deck and neither worked. We rigged a pair of jumper cables together to give us the length needed to try and jump it off the semi's 24v system and that didn't work. The batteries were just toast. Because of the location of the HMMWV on the carrier, we couldn't just roll it off because of the "uphill" section of carrier between the HMMWV and the ramp, so it was effectively stuck on the carrier and the driver had two more stops to make that day. So with no time to track down 6TL batteries, I bought a pair of 65 series batts from my local Advance Auto. We put them in and the rig fired right up and we got it off the transport with no further issues. So batteries being a) the wrong type for the vehicle and b) dead beyond use was an awesome start. The ones I bought are still the wrong type and don't sit in the battery box properly so I will have to replace these at some point, but I didn't have much choice at the time.

Last night I pulled the batteries out, removed the plastic battery tray and removed probably 2 pounds of dirt, sand, rocks and other debris from the floor pan of the battery box. For some reason, they painted the entire inside of the vehicle except the battery box, which they never touched or cleaned. Puzzling.

The fuel tank was almost empty, so I drove it to the auto parts store to pick up a bottle of Power Service additive and then went and filled up the tank and poured in a half-bottle of additive. I parked it in the driveway, which is sloped uphill and it started leaking gas onto the driveway. My research says this is not uncommon. It leaked a small puddle and then stopped, so not sure if this is the filler-neck connection that's leaking or the access port on top of the tank. I'll try to track it down next weekend.

The engine and associated components are very clean. My only concern is that they basically just painted EVERYTHING black. Wiring, hoses, cables...everything is painted. It looks great now but i'm not sure how it'll hold up. We'll see. One of the seal pads around the sling points is literally rotting apart, but the other one is fine. I've already ordered a replacement pair.

The interior is nice and clean. Seats are comfortable, windshield is in good condition. There are a few things that need to be sorted out, one of which is that it has no wiper arms/blades. They were not present in the auction photos, so it's "as advertised", but I'm trying to source a pair now. The washer fluid pump doesn't work and I suspect it may be wiring on the wiper motor switch causing it. Replacement motor assemblies are stupid expensive though, so I'm considering wiring up an independent push button switch for that pump. The connections for it come into the cabin just behind the start/run switch, so it's easy to access.

The tires are basically new and the XD wheels are spotless.

I'm going to change most if not all of the fluids over the next few weeks. The ATF fluid in the transmission is very clean, so not sure if I need to change that.

The top and doors are decent. Not a huge fan of the tiny windows.

As for how it drives, it's great. Getting used to the fact that 50 MPH is "fast", LOL. It drives straight and is every bit as impractical and fun as I'd hoped it would be. I get to call GP today and tell them to send my UT title and start the hunt for insurance.

Here's a really crappy pic of it with my Vette. It hadn't had a bath yet in this picture, but it's nice and clean now.

cars.jpg

Last edited:

cptnblk

The washer fluid pump doesn't work and I suspect it may be wiring on the wiper motor switch causing it. Replacement motor assemblies are stupid expensive though, so I'm considering wiring up an independent push button switch for that pump. The connections for it come into the cabin just behind the start/run switch, so it's easy to access.
My pump was burned out. You can find the pumps online for a decent price. Its a pain to rip the pump out of the reservoir, but if you do not damage the seal, apply a little silicone grease before assembly and use a E or C ring to retain the pump in the reservoir. The mounting screws hold it in place, so if the retaining clip seems loose, it's not a big deal.

The fuel tank was almost empty, so I drove it to the auto parts store to pick up a bottle of Power Service additive and then went and filled up the tank and poured in a half-bottle of additive. I parked it in the driveway, which is sloped uphill and it started leaking gas onto the driveway. My research says this is not uncommon. It leaked a small puddle and then stopped, so not sure if this is the filler-neck connection that's leaking or the access port on top of the tank. I'll try to track it down next weekend.
https://youtu.be/98cJM9PYEXY

Last edited:

riderdan

Thanks for the update. Sounds like you had a mixed experience. The fact the obvious things (like the batteries and hood seals) were overlooked is concerning. And the wipers issue is uncool. But anyone can make mistakes: the real test will be if you encounter more serious issues over time. Keep us posted.

kcobean

Thanks for the update. Sounds like you had a mixed experience. The fact the obvious things (like the batteries and hood seals) were overlooked is concerning. And the wipers issue is uncool. But anyone can make mistakes: the real test will be if you encounter more serious issues over time. Keep us posted.
Yeah, the batteries thing kinda pisses me off, especially given that I HAD to buy new batteries that don't physically fit well just to get it off the transport due to time pressure. I was actually contacted by a Plan B mechanic on Facebook who I'm hoping can help me out with the wiper blades. If he comes through, that will go a long way towards me being able to defend Plan B and my purchase of what by all accounts is a very expensive 28 year old HMMWV.

MaverickH1

Just my quick advice in passing, skip the military wiper arms and buy civvy H1 arms. You'll be able to use more blade types then.

I'll refrain from saying anything else until more details come out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks