• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I can provide power steering CHEAP & RELIABLE

Status
Not open for further replies.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You guys are amazing! Most of you want the kit but at the same time you are fighting with the guy and telling him there is no way he can do it that cheap. How the he!! do you know? You don't even know what he is doing. Several guess's have been made based on what is already out there but nobody but Broadsword knows for sure. Cut the man some slack, he is trying to help you guys out. As far as liability..................How many of you are running tires that were never supposed to be run on your trucks? How many of you are running bobbers that were not designed by engineers? How many are running or towing overloaded? Liability? Give me a break!

Rick
It could that he is trying to sell something he currently does not have . Personally if you can't steer a deuce , you might need a gym membership .

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rick, what we are getting at, is if he produces a kit, and sells it, he can be liable.

Are guys building and running bobbers? yep, running tires too fast? yep. towing too much? yep again. But they built the trucks or are operating them outside of design specs, so they are liable.

I'm not against him building a kit- I personally don't want one. Even Angie can drive her m109 with no assist all the way to Haspin and back, back it and everything. I don't feel it is a must have. The cost of the air assist was a big turn off too. If he can pull off a kit that is safe and cheap, (usually you can't get those two together) then maybe I might be interested.

And not because some Steel Soldier member might sue him- the old lady in the car that got dented in a parking lot, etc might sue the owner, and the lawyer finds out about all the 'mods' done to the truck, and go after any of the mod 'kit' suppliers. Likely? probably not. Possible? definitely. There are lawyers that sue for someone that got hurt with a lawnmower, and they go after the lawnmower maker, all the parts suppliers, the store that sold it, and the station and oil company that supplied the gas!!!!

So it can happen. I agree with you, I think all of it is total greedy BS, but we've (the US) allowed the system to change so that this is the norm. Now we have to be preemptive instead of retroactive.

MarcusOReallyus

Broadsword, I suggest you spend the money to talk to a real lawyer. I suspect that when you do, you'll back out of this offer real quick.

As a manufacturer, you are going to be on the hook for liability and probably need to get licenses to manufacture, business licenses, etc. Oh, and then there's zoning for a manufacturing business. In a residential neighborhood? Have fun with that.

The liability issue can be covered by an insurance policy, but you have to factor that into the cost of the kit.

And finding an insurance company that will insure you for manufacturing what is, to them, a backyard kit for a vehicle?

I don't think it will happen without engineer's stamps, testing, certification, yada yada yada....

Not trying to rain on your parade, but these are the legal realities we live with these days. You can't just have a good idea, make a good product, and sell it these days. That kind of thing can land you in a big pot of very hot water.

And very broke, too.

The lawyers have made sure it's not that simple!

A better approach might be to copyright the plans and license it to someone who has the $$ to make it happen with all the legal bases covered.

randini

Seriously? I understand the legal landscape we live in, but it drives me crazy. If I take this situation at face value, here is a guy with a better mouse trap. He has a new/good Idea. The legal entanglements are the biggest issue, when he brings this to market. Its a sad world we live in. I understand it a world where someone can spill hot coffee in thier lap, and sue for millions. I wish you well. I would buy a power steering system, count me in!

broadsword71

All great info guys. I like the wheels turning. Why can't I just provide a kit for "experimental use only" and not intended for highway use and have the consumer agree to a contingency?

We have fireworks stores all over Florida that sell fireworks that are illegal to detonate in FL. But every year they sell millions worth. There have been an untold amount of cases from destruction by fire, missing limbs, blindness, and even death. And the stores are still there...the tents are erected every year, and people line up to sign a piece of paper saying they will not detonate any illegal fireworks within state lines.
And there insurance only covers content in the store and a seperate policy is bound when/if they have a show. That still doesn't cover someone if they blow there neighbors hand off. The liability lies with the consumer who agreed that the unit is intended for off road use only.
Are we splitting atoms here?

With respect I am all ears and do intend to explore my options with an attorney. But this seems to be easily circumvented. And the system I am proposing has been done before. I haven't personally saw one on a MV the particular way I have done it. I'm hoping for good news by this weeks end in regards to the system. I don't ever get my hopes up anymore with that said. I just enjoy the challenge and if at the end of the day I don't make a nickel...but provided a cost effective option to guys like me without any money...I'm fine with that too.

Driving down the highway is easy w/o power steering. It's not needed if that's all you do...I can agree with that. But off road is a different animal. Low pressure, traversing uneven terrain with rocks, holes, obstacles. It's sweaty work and I tell you I hurt my wrists a few times with the wheel whipping back and fourth when one wheel follows a rut. Just saying....

MarcusOReallyus

All great info guys. I like the wheels turning. Why can't I just provide a kit for "experimental use only" and not intended for highway use and have the consumer agree to a contingency?

That might be a good way to go, but...

... to get a good answer you'll have to ask a Florida lawyer who knows manufacturing liability issues.

Heath_h49008

I wonder if we have an actual lawyer that's a member.

And yes I'm just interested in helping all of us.
In that case, try what we did with the water injection design. Put the idea out there and let folks build it.

I don't worry about liability. It was fun to figure out. And at least one so far (PsycoBob) has been assembled and ran successfully. The guys who decide to build it know EVERYTHING about it, and know exactly what they are getting themselves into.

You're never going to get rich with a low margin/low volume product anyway, so why bother?

See also: Gringletaube, Sewerzuk, JesusGato, JasonS and all the other guys who have solved problems and "helped all of us."

Good deeds are rewarded, the universe is funny that way. It may actually work out that you can kit something up, or supply a special bracket required... whatever....

Right now, this is vaporware. Although I really do hope you have a new take on the problem. Many of us who modify things like trucks and guns are too used to seeing these types of threads.

Don't take it personally.

Best of luck,

Heath

broadsword71

In that case, try what we did with the water injection design. Put the idea out there and let folks build it.

I don't worry about liability. It was fun to figure out. And at least one so far (PsycoBob) has been assembled and ran successfully. The guys who decide to build it know EVERYTHING about it, and know exactly what they are getting themselves into.

You're never going to get rich with a low margin/low volume product anyway, so why bother?

See also: Gringletaube, Sewerzuk, JesusGato, JasonS and all the other guys who have solved problems and "helped all of us."

Good deeds are rewarded, the universe is funny that way. It may actually work out that you can kit something up, or supply a special bracket required... whatever....

Right now, this is vaporware. Although I really do hope you have a new take on the problem. Many of us who modify things like trucks and guns are too used to seeing these types of threads.

Don't take it personally.

Best of luck,

Heath
Your correct it just vaporware until its released. I agree. Either way I'm going to release the idea...and people can do what they want with it. I actually have 3 total p/s ideas that I have tested in the past with success. This current is proving thus far the most practical. Final results pending.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can I get one for my M813? Oh wait, it already has it. :)

Unfortunately the US is the only country in the world that uses the American Way (maybe Japan) for litigation instituted after the American Revolution. Other countries use "loser pays" which greatly reduces the idiots dumping clearly labeled hot coffee on their laps suing the snot out of, let's say, McDonalds.

Sorry that I was the first poster to chime in with the liability issue but having had to have insurance for businesses in the past I can say you need it, along with a good lawyer.

All the advice on this board is great but at the end of the day we aren't the ones who could potentially lose everything because of a liability problem.

broadsword71

Your correct it just vaporware until its released. I agree. Either way I'm going to release the idea...and people can do what they want with it. I actually have 3 total p/s ideas that I have tested in the past with success. This current is proving thus far the most practical. Final results pending.
Can I get one for my M813? Oh wait, it already has it. :)

Unfortunately the US is the only country in the world that uses the American Way (maybe Japan) for litigation instituted after the American Revolution. Other countries use "loser pays" which greatly reduces the idiots dumping clearly labeled hot coffee on their laps suing the snot out of, let's say, McDonalds.

Sorry that I was the first poster to chime in with the liability issue but having had to have insurance for businesses in the past I can say you need it, along with a good lawyer.

All the advice on this board is great but at the end of the day we aren't the ones who could potentially lose everything because of a liability problem.
Agree.

pyro1955

Interested, and if necessary would be willing to sign a release of liability. It makes me wonder how in our country of invention, how we can ever continue inventing if we have to worry so much about stupid lawyers getting involved...

Warren Lovell

I got it! Its a gym membership kit...completely adaptable to many vehicles, with protein enhancers, Install is simple - climb into your truck! Liability? You lifted the weights...
okay, back to my oxygen tent.

AZDeuce

Broadsword71

I am interested in a kit if you get it on the market.

I agree with Rickf's assesment in regards to all the nay-sayers.

I figure if you can't sell the entire kit due to legal issues, then just make the brackets for us less capable folks along with the parts we need to obtain so we can gather all the components on our own.

And thanks for trying to do this for us.......I hope you are successful, but if not, consider just selling brackets and a parts list.

I'd love power steering but can't afford $3000!

THANKS-AZ Deuce

broadsword71

Broadsword71

I am interested in a kit if you get it on the market.

I agree with Rickf's assesment in regards to all the nay-sayers.

I figure if you can't sell the entire kit due to legal issues, then just make the brackets for us less capable folks along with the parts we need to obtain so we can gather all the components on our own.

And thanks for trying to do this for us.......I hope you are successful, but if not, consider just selling brackets and a parts list.

I'd love power steering but can't afford $3000!

THANKS-AZ Deuce
Thank you for the support. That's a great idea as well. I have nothing but good intensions here. I can't wait to see what happens when I show everyone my transmission mod!

Status
Not open for further replies.