• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I Didn't Know I Had a Block Heater

So I spent a couple of hours today wrenching on my truck putting in a new starter, 3.5'' speakers in the dash, and 6x9's in boxes behind my seats. I am using a stock Chevy C30 AM/FM radio. I know the thread is worthless with out a picture or two but I know that nobody cares to see speakers installed in the dash and speakers in a speaker box behind the seats. Anyway...

I was installing the new starter today and noticed as I was tightning down the starter bolts, that I had a block heater already installed. [thumbzup] This works out nicely since I will be moving to Colorado soon. The number on the plug is LR20976 600w. Anyone have any idea on where I can get the plug for it? I did some looking around the internet on my phone and it seems that it is a fairly common heater. I will check fleabay when I am done here, but figured I'd throw the question out here. Growing up in GA I have zero experience with block heaters so I hope I asked right. I need the pluggy cable thingy that goes from the engine heater to the extension chord/outlet.:cookoo:

Attachments

Goose2448

I would think you would need a plug that plugs into the heater to run to up front with a male end on it. After that plug her in overnight if your temps are supposed to get cold. I think they say less than freezing, but having a southern truck you may want to plug it in before that. I plug my work truck in if its gonna be less than 45 degrees in the morning, which is really rare.

I would think you would need a plug that plugs into the heater to run to up front with a male end on it. After that plug her in overnight if your temps are supposed to get cold. I think they say less than freezing, but having a southern truck you may want to plug it in before that. I plug my work truck in if its gonna be less than 45 degrees in the morning, which is really rare.
Yea I know that is the cable I need, but I'm not sure if you can just buy a chord for a block heater. If you can, does it matter what wattage the block heater is? Is it one chord works for all as far as wattage goes?

Goose2448

I dont think it would matter, as long as it has the right connections on it. You would want to watch the gauge of wire though for the wattage. Should be grounded too.

And do you have pics of the stereo install, I would like to see how you did it. Did you just run it like a factory install? I put in a new head unit in my civy C20 and mounted it under the dash with a CB mount. It was a real pain splicing all the wires in, but it worked good and looked great.

I don't have any pictures right now, but I will take some in the morning. I used a stock 80's head unit, in the stock location. 3.5 inch in the dash corners, and 6x9's in boxes behind the bench seats. I ran the speaker wire for the rear speakers along the left edge of the cab and around the rifle mounts. Other then that, there are no other mods to the audio system. I don't need all of the high speed doo-dads that modern head units have. Plus, I don't want to have to cut or butch my dash. To each his own though!

*edit- I still don't know why I can't post a **** picture right side up but you can see in the bottom of the picture the blue wire conduit looking stuff. That's where I routed my rear speaker wire.

Attachments

Goose2448

The only reason I put in a new head unit was because one of the knobs broke on the stock unit. I left that in place and mounted it under the dash like a CB using existing holes because I did not want to cut up the dash either. I think that the stock speaker wiring was just tucked behind the cover panel and under the floor covering on the drivers side. No fancy conduit. I like the gauge set up you have. I think I had the same tac

wayne pick

That's an old style Kat's block heater. U need power cord #28200. It's a five foot long 16ga cord. Contact -Five star manufacturing . com or Napa to order. Give them the heater #LR20976 just to make shure.

The only reason I put in a new head unit was because one of the knobs broke on the stock unit. I left that in place and mounted it under the dash like a CB using existing holes because I did not want to cut up the dash either. I think that the stock speaker wiring was just tucked behind the cover panel and under the floor covering on the drivers side. No fancy conduit. I like the gauge set up you have. I think I had the same tac
I got rid of the autometer tach today. When i took the dash pad out to install the speakers, I went ahead and took it off. I don't like having that tach in my line of sight. I ordered a tiny tach which is on the way to my house that will replace the autometer tach. Not sure where I will mount it yet though! Those gauges make it nice to monitor the motor, especially the boost and pyrometer. those are uber important!

Goose2448

Ah I had a Summit Racing Tac I got out of a junk yard truck for $10. Worked good. I used double sided tape and put it right next to the A pillar. Thats the only pic I have of the inside of the truck. This was after it was wrecked and all the good stuff was removed. But you can see the mount for the radio I fabed up.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks