• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I didnt know where else to put this, military pickup question

Dobber

Roscoe,

currently, I am planning on primarily doing snow removal, lawn care, clean ups and light construction and install. only reason it is so limited is because i am 21 years old and i dont have the funding for things like skidsteers, loaders, and concrete equipment. i was going to modify the CUCV(?) slightly with a PTO to turn the bed into a dump, and keep that canvas cap that they have on them to transport things like grass clippings, leaves, dirt and sod without having to worry about it plowing away or messing with tarps. but thats all the money to get right now is 2 pick ups and outfit them with snow and lawn equipment.

thanks,
~Joe

PS: Lima rd and what crosstreet?

roscoe

Dobber, 7405 Lima Rd. Drulley Investments (I think). Its a relatively new lot. I was surprised to see those trucks. One was a pickup. I can stop and take a look at them later this week if ya want -- and give give you some specs on them. I was going to stop and look at them out of curiosity anyway. I started my landscape business 12 years ago with with a small pickup and and now work almost entirely off of referrals. Just go above and beyond for your customers and be fair -- to yourself and them -- and you will do fine. Be careful to consider all your costs before bidding jobs. I learned the hard way you can work a lot but if you aren't changing enough you will end up with a bunch of broke equipment and no money.

Dobber

Roscoe,

I think I found them on that there 'ol ethernet. they want 4 grand for it and its kinda rusty. 20k miles on it though.

i have been doing some research and i think that i want a 1028, not a 1008, because of the limited slip. i think it would be very useful. is there any way to tell them apart?

and thank you for the buisness advice. i will definiatly keep it in mind and i appreciate hearing from anyone with experience.

~Joe

davidkroberts

we had a local ford dealer that got a shipment of 5 bone stock CUCV's on new tires that they sold for around 6000 a truck. They were ALL gone within a weekend. It was unreal. I dont know where they got them but i know where I can get a few more thats for sure.

Dobber

6k is a bit out of my price range for a truck, as i need to outfit 2 of them so i have a backup incase something breaks. if its a bit less than that then ill probbably go for it. also, i need to keep fuel cost into consideration as i will have to pull it back due to the CUCV's speed limitation. i have a f-250 with a 7.3 IDI turbo, but 23mpg still isnt the best all the way to tennessee! let me know what they are going for please though. thanks davidkroberts

~Joe

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought the 1008 had the Detroit locker in the rear as well.
Here in Michigan those trucks fetch near $1500 cannibalized at auction.
The front axle alone can bring $1000.00

If he bid $2800 for it, he also paid $280 buyers premium and 6% sales tax on top of that and another $60 for paperwork to get the title, then there was the cost of bringing it back to the lot.
(if it was the invoice you saw, it included buyers premium & tax)

Where in Michigan???????????

dependable

I have a landscape business and have been at it since 1986. 5 of my 11 trucks are cucvs. They are great for local use. $4 or 5 grand is not too much to pay for a truck that is ready to work, regardless of its age. Rust is a problem with these and I would not spend that much for with a lot of holes in the rockers, fenders ect. You should have some mechanical ability if you are going to get by with without regular payments to the bank. You could learn a lot working on one of these and you will not need a scanner. Good luck with the truck and the business.

tm america

a truck that hasnt been titled yet is only worth what you could get them from the gl for which is about 500-1000 since there is gonna be issues getting the title if they dont have the sf97 and other paper work in order.its a military- work truck they were made to be beatin on by teenage kids that dont have to pay the repair bill:roll:that being said the military underpowered their trucks to protect the drivetrain and they are rated as a1 and a 1/4 ton truck and the 6.2 will get you around 20+mpg on the highway but 55 is gonna be it for top speed unless you go with bigger tires :roll:

kassim503

If you do use the truck for cleanups, toss the canvas top (if it has one) and build a plywood box to the moon :wink: and start looking for a leaf sucker.

This truck should handle landscaping no problem, youll never have to worry about messing the body up, or breaking it. The hooks are great for stump pulling, its not gonna blow anything because of abuse. Id throw in a water/trans temp gauge in, build a dangerously huge box for cleanups and put the thing to work!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks