• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I don't think my M1009 likes hills

wkbrdngsnw

I'm new to CUCV's and diesels and I've had my 1009 driving for about a month around town and love the 19.5 mpg compared to my 69 C10 which gets about 10mpg. I decided to take it from Denver to Grand Junction to visit a friend and see how it did off-road. Needless to say it would only do about 37MPH uphill in Drive and was covering the whole road in black smoke. It did much better in second and would do 55 but sounded like it was revving way to high. I know that N/A diesels are gutless and affected by altitude but it seems that it should be able to do a little better then that. It shows 48,700 miles and is completely stock with its 31x10.50 Goodyears. Is this a normal occurrence or is there something wrong? Is it safe to sustain those kinds of RPM's?

Other than that, I was happy with the average millage of 18.6mpg doing 75 the rest of the way and I was also very surprised at the ability to climb. Apparently towing my dodge WC is completely out of the question. Somehow I see a turbo in this trucks future.

Sorry for my lack of ability to stop talking.

beaubeau

The gearing on this and the large tires will affect the driving at those altitudes. It goes better in 2nd gear so you should be running it in 2nd gear at the steep hills you are on. Don't be afraid to Crank on it. Remember, the M1008 runs high rpms like that all the time at 50-60mph. Phil

wkbrdngsnw

64hp

It did seem to work better without the air pre-cleaner but, not much. The fuel filter was replaced the day after I picked it up. I just got it dynoed today for the emissions and was surprised with 64HP at 60MPH (around 2000RPM). I no longer question the lack of power. Another guy there had a 2001 dodge that was getting tested and was laughing at me because his was 128HP and there not much of a comeback you can say to that.

I was thinking of advancing the injector timing and turning up the pump a little but, it probably not be worth the hassle. I really feel sorry for anyone who drives a M-1008 down the highway then, you guys must be deaf.

Maybe I could add some bike pedals geared to the drive shaft to help out a little.

underdog

Well; if you have the time and money throw a turbo charger on it.
Or transplant a 6.5 turbo diesel into it.
either way your problem will be gone.
I remember way back when i lived in Denver. I wanted to go to the mountians.
I had a 60's model Dodge van with a slant six in it. Made it to the foot hills and had to turn around.

Loco_Hosa

Here is what I would love to do someday. Take your M1009, put the axles out of a M1028, along with taller tires, and an overdrive trans.

Then you will have all the low end you really need, and be able to cruise.

If you decide you just dont want it any more, let me know ;)

CCATLETT1984

wait a minute now guys, if he's only getting 64HP, then there is an issue with the engine. Sounds like you have a combination of a tired injection pump and poor injectors. that engine should put out at least 160HP without a turbo.

wkbrdngsnw

Since HP is a function of torque and RPM
I did some calculations-
64HP @ 2000 RPM = 169 Ft lb
putting out the same torque at 3000 RPM it would be around 97HP.
Advertised I believe is 200 Ft Lb @ 3000 RPM so 114 HP, which is what I believe a 1008 would have done on the same test due to the 60MPH the test is preformed at.
at 3600 RPM and the advertised 135HP it is 198 Ft lb
so factoring in elevation, a very restrictive paper air filter, and its age I don't think its in that bad of shape, I could be wrong though. I am just used to modern trucks that are have enough gears to go down the highway and have the power to back it up.

wkbrdngsnw

I just installed a pyrometer and K&N filter and tried going up I-70, 5800-11200FT above see level, again. Even in second gear at about 40 it was at 1200 ° F. Smoke has been reduced to a slight haze from a road covering smoke screen.

These results scare me because the last time I was doing about 55 and smoking badly. I could only imagine EGT's of 1400 °+.

Driving around Denver there is no smoke until WOT and a
maximum 900° F EGT.

Does anyone know if any of these CUCV's were adjusted for high elevation? I picked mine up at Ft. Carson, CO.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks