• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I feel like such a cheap ho

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can't believe I did it. I took the canvas off the truck this last weekend. The inside of the bed looks like...well, poop. I wanted to base paint it sand and add the earth yellow, brown and black. AVTE stopped carrying the gallons of Aervo. I thought and thought about it. Took a sample paint blotch and had it matched. Oh, forgot to say it's Home Depot and I rolled it on :shock: :cry: It came out great! An exact match, great texture and very easy to apply. This is only for the bed since it will and does get beat up. I did, however, put some on the bed rail. It is impossible to tell the difference. I used a foam roller.Please don't hate me :(

Attachments

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I hate you! J/K At least you are taking care of your rig. All of mine need work and it is not easy to get them fixed. Little by little is the best I can do.

ygmir

I painted the floor of the bed in my M35 and sprinkled a little sand, for traction. It work great. stuff still rolls fine, doesn't slide as easy, and, you can walk on it when wet.......

good job, in the end, if it works, it's good.

Henry

ems4ty

Will, Not to Hi-Jack your thread here, but I did the same thing. My brother's deuce needed a new paint job. So I just power washed the truck, went to Home Defect and had 4 gallons of Behr Exterior Flat Paint color matched to the color that was previously on the truck. In about 2 hours, with an airless Wagner paint sprayer, it was all over with. I didn't have the patience to mask anything off. A razor blade took care of almost all of the over-spray. Here's what it looks like. It's good enough for me. One day, it'll be done right, but just not today.

BTW - I could start a new posting if you wish. I hate to hi-jack your thread. Back to your local programming as usual.

Attachments

Alredneck

Banned
Not bad for simplicity not bad on both rigs. But what are yall doing about killing off the rust? If you just paint over it it will keep eating away at the good metal.

FormerNewMVGuy

I recently did the inside of the cargo body of my first deuce. It had alot of surface rust, I scraped all the loose stuff off, I then applied two coats of "Gemplers Rust Converter" From www.gemplers.com and then sprayed with 383 green, It came out beautiful,If the rain stops ill go out and take some pics.
The only thing with the Rust converter, you have to use an oil base paint,no latex!

ems4ty

Apparently I forgot to mention that I didn't care about what paint was used. Truck just sits in our shop awaiting DMV Registration paperwork (another month or two). Just needed to throw a coat of the cheap stuff on it so that once the paper work comes, I can put it on the corner with a For Sale sign on it. Yes, I'll disclose the paint job, but again, this is a military truck and its no worse than what a Rattle Can paint job would do. The bottom line is that it will eventually need to be stripped and done right. Just now is not the time.

Orionspath

H-Depot Desert Tan Recipe

Well, will we get to see a photo copy of the receipt detailing the color recipe? I sure would like to paint my wooden seats/bed rails and do not know if the CARC 686 would work very well on wood. Any thoughts?

Michael

RE: H-Depot Desert Tan Recipe

My big concern is what are you going to have to do the prep the truck the next time it is painted. I am thinking that you will have to remove it completely if you go back with enamel.

Price and availability sure is a plus though.

ems4ty

Hey Will, did you do any real prep work before you painted it like sanding or primer? What kind of paint did you get? Just like the Exterior Behr Flat Paint or something different? Just curious on what you did.

Orionspath, I'd love to tell what the recipe is, but then I'd have to kill ya. Just Kidding. Seriously, I went back into the shop and unfortunatly one of my guys threw out the lid with the formula on it. I have 3/4 of a gallon of paint left. Yes, it's latex not enamel. Not usually used on vehicles, and I did not do any prep work other than power wash, dry, scrape off loose paint, and spray a new thick coat.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

No prep, except for blowing the dirt and leaves away from the sides. I was gonna do the rest of the inside of the bed today, but, my wife is CRABBY! Haven't seen her yet, just talked to...er...listened to her on the phone. Just used Behr ultra flat exterior. Looks even better after 24 hrs and no latex paint smell. Michael, I am just doing the inside of the bed and only applied the roller paint to a 6 inch long part of the bed rail to see the difference.

JDToumanian

I love it, Will. I think we were talking about this at the last Fontana run weren't we? After doing all this work on my deuce, I've decided I don't like Gillespie paint's weathering characteristics... it's fading too quickly for my taste, and I don't want to repaint every three years. It's too much work!!! David Doyle's compressor truck saddened me when I learned that it's paint was only a few years old.

Next time I paint my deuce, it's getting Behr Premium Plus Eggshell Exterior Enamel, 10 year warranty, color matched to a NOS part.

Jon

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Will, I'd think about putting a primer on the bed before painting it. Rustoleum "Rusty metal primer" has worked very well for me......I like to work it in with a brush.

m.walker

Great idea ! I did it too , it's a cheap alternative . My exterior grade paint from Walmart has lasted about 3 years and is starting to come off , $15 a gallon ! I'll use it again at that price , but maybe a color change is in store for the M52 like my F750 . It's not as durable as automotive paint but much cheaper and easier to repair .

Attachments