• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I finally got a mule.

gunboy1656

Well yesterday, I learned how much fun it is to change the needle bearings. That was not very fun. Should go a little faster for the rest now that we know what we are doing.

Lost a bunch of time just taking the wheel off, that thing was stuck on with a LOT of paint. everything else came apart pretty easy.

asgtoolman

Well yesterday, I learned how much fun it is to change the needle bearings. That was not very fun. Should go a little faster for the rest now that we know what we are doing.

Lost a bunch of time just taking the wheel off, that thing was stuck on with a LOT of paint. everything else came apart pretty easy.

I guess you have found out that grease holds those needle bearings in place fairly well.

It's not even the paint that is holding those **** wheels on--a tight fit and a little corrosion and they are a PAIN!!! You just have to take a piece of 2x4 and a 2# hammer and smack the crap out of them and hope you don't bend a wheel.

gunboy1656

Yesterday, we did the front right. took forever. mostly finding the correct tools, and locations for everything.

Today we had our time cut down due to knowing what we needed to get into to get the parts replaced. The front left wheel was not that hard to take off, but fought me tooth and nail to get back on.

but the down fall is, we found out it needs a little more TLC then first thought. We noticed the dust boot is cracked, and the tie rod end needs replaced. So now to fit that into the schedule.

As for those pesky needle bearings, we found using a Dremmel works pretty quick on them, just grind down the front edge, pull out all the needles and then grind the rest with a steady hand not to drill too much out, just enough, then a light hit with a chisel, and it comes out.

Biggest complaint I had today was the old gasket was a pain to remove.

Last edited:

gunboy1656

New update:

Well another good day at dads. Since we are still waiting on part from David Kelone, the mule is on hold. So we spent the day working on the 106 recoilless rifle. I was hoping to have the mule done before the gun got mounted, I want to play around with the mule more.

Got the homemade 106 bracket in place and drilled. The T and E and breach of the 106 is in place. The front 2 barrel sections are welded together. Tomorrow if it is nice out again, I will go back over and get the rest welded together. Made a homemade one cause the original equipment is way out of our range right now.

Oh, and I got the one bed cover upright ground down so it fit in the pocket of the deuce easier.

Attachments

gunboy1656

Just got most of the parts we needed in, only thing that was not there was the tie rod. Now have to do some clean up of the parts and paint. But the good news all the mechanical parts are there to be put on and run it again.

Anyone have a side view of a mule in a 105 trailer behind a deuce? Curious about the turns.

nickd

Scott,
I have transported my mule and the mule with the 106 in a 105 trailer. If you have the canvas on the trailer, you will need to back it in or remove the foot basket to close the tailgate. With out the canvas it is easy to drive it up ramps into the trailer and leave the foot basket on. Here is picture!

Attachments

gunboy1656

Update and new pic

During the week dad finished cleaning up the weld on the barrel. Cleaned up the front plate on the deck. Now I got to paint that.

Went to go work on the mule for a few hours. Today we tackled getting the new universal joint, the gears in the lower axle, putting the race back in. That was all we did on the mule.

The 106, We took back off the mule and put it in the basement to get lined up with the rest of the barrel. Put the spotter rifle in place for now to help line everything up. Only one more barrel section to get welded up.:grin: and have to add a tab for the magazine release.

Now for the pics.......

Attachments

Last edited:

FrankUSMC

Scott
I had our mule out today for the Christmas photos. I took one photo of the mule with the M2 on it. I will send it to you.
Take care.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

gunboy1656

poof, I like that setup, especially the 151 hiding in the bed of the deuce.

nickd, what is the bracket on the side of the barrel of the 106?

And FrankUSMC asked me to post a pic of his mule for everyone, but for some reason I can't get the image to save.

poof

Dirty Hippie
Hay scott.
Im going to pass on them.. I have been looking at LED light strips... low power consumption.. they are cheep now.. and with no charging system, it seems the way to go.. plus they are small as heck too.
Thanks
J.P.

gunboy1656

Woo hoo, now I have an electronic copy of the TM's and a few other manuals, unfortunately one manual is corrupted. Can't win them all I guess.

Dad called me and the barrel is all done being welded, smoothed most of it out already. Have not seen it in person yet. Using the manuals He is trying to reproduce a tool box as well in his free time at work.

I have been hunting around and can't locate one, but does anyone know where there is a complete barrel lock? I have found a few parts to one.

nickd

Scott, I have noticed the travel lock for the 106 mounted on the mule is getting harder to find. Patience and cash in hand will prevail!

The bracket on my 106 is the mounting for the night site.

Good luck with your restoration.
Nick

MuleMac01

Military vehicle collector
I will never understand why people always want to mount a 106 rifle i just like my mule stock and maybe if i can find a medical litter kit

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks