• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I Finally Got My M1009 Today!

Sardot1

After much anticipation, I received my M1009 this morning. I bought it from Ft. McCoy, WI back in May. I had not previewed it and took my chances with the GL description and pictures, and it turns out they were fairly accurate. It was described as "Driven onto lot."

Not knowing it's actual condition, or how long it would take to arrange for transportation to me, I had it picked up by a tow truck (Arnold's in Sparta) and dropped off at Brenegen Chevy Dealership in Sparta to have the oil changed and an inspection done. As it turned out, Kathy in service said when it arrived she tried it and it started right up (sweet!) This after it sat for 3 months that I know of.

Turns out the only problem they found that needed fixing was the belts were a little loose, which I had them fix so it would be ready to go when it got here. I was a bit stunned that this was all that they found wrong with it.

So it arrives this morning at 0600, The trucker already had it off the truck. I paid him, and off I went in my new old truck. I stopped and filled the tank and I was just going to go home and show it off to the family but I figured what the heck and took it out for a 25 mile test drive. This thing runs smooth! And I hit 75 on a straight and level and it was still accelerating, this was kind of unexpected, it seemed about accurate, but I'll check that spedo against a GPS.

Later I took it out for a little off road drive with the kids and the dog. Here are some pics from that trip. I put about 85 miles on it today.

To go along with some other threads:

The EUC took about 75 days.

The GL employees Mike and Seth were real easy going and helpful.

GL mistakes in the description: Well, it said driven onto lot, and it runs GREAT! The VIN was missing a digit in the ad (don't want to get that wrong on the SF97), and it was described as a '84, turns out to be an '85

Arizona Motor Vehicle Division: I was able to get a temporary permit for $15, this is pending the arrival of the SF97 I ordered 2 weeks ago. She actually registered it as an M1009 and not a Blazer. She wasn't sure what to call the body style and settled on a "carryall"

What did I find in it: A penny, cigarette butts, a beer bottle cap, the rear view mirror in the back seat; a decent spare tire and a jack, lots of dirt. All the lights work. All the radio hardware had been removed, so there is a hole in the floor and small holes on the top of the shell where a light or antenna had been, and the rain came in. Accessory position on the ignition switch: It is there, like the TM said. You have to turn it back counter-clockwise a click past the LOCK position.

Rust/Body: Not too bad, the worst is below the passenger door, a bit of body cancer that goes thru laterally, but I can get that fixed. And a small hole near the gun rack. The rest of the bed and tailgate look great. There is a dent in the passenger door, barely noticed it due to the camo.

What did I do to it today: I took it out and got it dirty. Then it was pouring rain so it got clean. Then I got it dirty some more. Spread some dog hair around inside it too.

What a fun truck. I'm already looking to get another one.:smile: This was actually my second one, as I had bought one last year off of eBay and got totally ripped off. The jerk had photos of a nice looking low-miles truck, but that was not the complete POS that he sent me. It was so bad I cut my losses and got rid of it.:x

Attachments

Last edited:

91W350

Nice looking truck! I know we really enjoy ours! I hope yours turns out to be as good as outs have been. You need to dig up the pet thread and share that handsome dog there too! Glen

Sardot1

Looks good!!!! I would do the doghead stater mod it is worth the $15, have fun with your new toy!!!
Already done. Now it makes that snap as I start it.

Having lots of fun with it. My 2 year old even drags me out to give him a ride in it daily. Almost bought another one today from Ft Sill.

Brad M

I am glad it worked for you. I got the idea from another hobby of mine (Classic VW's) where some owners swear by original paint only and will strip it down to original removing all subsequent paint jobs. And then clear coat it or wax it to a high gloss. I had seen firsthand some of their work and it looked great for 50~55 year old paint.

I too am trying to decipher mine. The front had me confused until I started on the rear and found FL-NG-53- and I am still working on it the other side is HQ-37 which is odd because I did not think HQ had that many vehicles at one time. Good Luck with your buried treasure ;-)

67_C-30

I'm glad you were about to get the paint off and display the bumper numbers! I also am having tons of fun with mine. I haven't driven my Z71 in weeks, and I recently added a pair of antenna brackets to the existing mounts. I took the top off of mine this past weekend, and its really fun like that!