• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I goofed up today - starting problem

chill63

I picked up 4 tons of limestone today to finish off my side driveway, when I parked the deuce on the front driveway the parking brake didn't want to hold all of the extra weight on the incline, so I left the truck in gear to give it a little more hold while I got the tires chocked. Anyhow, I never leave the truck in gear, so when I went to move the truck a little while later I hit the starter button and it bumped forward a bit. I immediately realized I had forgot to take it out of gear after chocking the tires. Well, I put the truck in neutral, hit the starter button again and nothing happened. All of the gauges went to zero, but that was it. I've made sure all of the battery cables are tight, tried bypassing the starter button and tapped the starter/solenoid a few times with a hammer, but still nothing. What should I check next???

ida34

Check directly between the engine and the firewall. The main wire runs through this area and on my truck the insulation rubbed though on the rear pickup eye. When the wire made contact to ground on the mount it melted though the wire disconnecting it. A GI fixed it by just twisting and taping. It rubbed though again on me and it took me a day or two to figure it out.

Good Luck
Chuck

devilman96

You should get a click out of the solinoid even if the starter is messed up... Being that the guages are dropping (showing amps being pulled) I would think the bendix is stuck. Or you could have loaded a cell on the battery so hard it went kaput!

chill63

Thanks for the replies. I checked the wiring and all looks good. I'm leaning towards it being the batteries. I just put my volt meter on them and one was reading 10.6 volts and the other 12.5 volts. I get 23.1 volts across both as expected. When I turn the power on it drops to about 20 and then less than 10 when I hit the starter button. I checked the cells, and none of them appeared low on water. I geuss it's time for some new batteries....

Jones

Sounds like a stuck bendix to me too. Making sure the engine stop control is pulled out, remove the inspection plate from the bottom of the bell housing and try barring the engine opposite it's normal direction of rotation. If the bendix is hung up that should pop it loose.

jwaller

a good battery should check out around 12.1-12.7v. if it's low you also have a battery problem. and it not fixed it will cause the other battery to die as well.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks