• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I got me a Winch!!

sak00

I figured if I waited long enough, one would rear is ugly head one day and yesterday was the day. I got a PTO and everything from the radiator forward. I'm very excited. It needs some scrapping and some rust control, but its all pretty solid. This one came off of a M35A3 so it had all of the hydraulic equipment with it. I am going to strip the hydraulics off and go back to the PTO driveshaft. Anybody know what the hydraulics would be worth??

I now need a driveshaft and the levers that go into the cab. I think that is it. If I'm wrong please let me know. I'm a patient guy so time is on my side.

I will get the winch and bumper ready and put it on the truck when I get it painted. It will take me a couple of weeks, but then the deuce ought to look "BAD". Any other info you guys think I need to know, please let me know as I'm new to these winches. I plan to read the TM's on them in my spare time so that will help.

Any info would be apprecated.!!!

Yippee!!!!1

Attachments

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I was you I'd keep the hyd motor. You could run a pump off the PTO. Hyd winches are much more controlable than PTO winches. I'll take it if you don't want too much for it :wink: because I'm already adding a hyd pump for my dump.

Nonotagain

The best part about a hydraulic powered winch is that when it reaches the maximum working pressure it will stop on its own.

Mechanical winches will operate until they break something which in my opinion is not a good thing.

Last edited:

dc3coyote

Keep the hydraulic..If my thinking is right with long enough hoses you can make a removable winch.. Just think about being able to move from the front to the rear mounting.

scooter01922

I'll gladly take the hyd setup from you as well, depending on how much its worth to ya. Need to put a winch back on the 108 and as it already has the hydros for the crane it should be crazy simple to rig up. Barring that could you snap some pics of the hyd motor and get the info from it?? Be nice to know what the mil uses so that IF i go that route i'll know that it should work. Or is could just find a regular winch like everyone else.:-D

Last edited:

sak00

Well like I said, I have little knowledge about these things. I didn't think about running the hydro's with the pto. Although, I would still need a pump. According to what I've been told, the hydro's work off the tranny pump on the A3's. So I could either get a pump and put it on the engine. I don't really want to screw with that. Or find some kind of pump to hook up to the pto.

I'm looking for suggestions as to what to do.

Not that I'm looking to make a fortune off the hydro's, but in what ball park do you think their worth? I'm not looking for a bidding war. And I hate to put anyone on the spot.

wsucougarx

My biggest suggestion is to strip that baby down, clean out the gunk, and replace all the seals before mounting it. Got my seal kit from OD Iron for a reasonable price.

wehring

coupler

Please post some pics of the device that is on the shaft of the winch. I mounted a 20,000# winch under the bed of my bobber and I need to power it. That coupler looks like the missing link because I have a PTO w/ rear hydro pump on my trans. All I need is the unit that converts hydro power to mechanical power at the winch.

Any part numbers or identification on the unit is appreciated.

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

hoopsoft

I would try and find a way to get it working also, its a pain having to work the winch from inside the truck, be nice to have some levers on the outside.. of course now you need locking brakes like a wrecker and the cable snapping could kill you... hmm maybe nevermind.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Keep the hydraulic..If my thinking is right with long enough hoses you can make a removable winch.. Just think about being able to move from the front to the rear mounting.

I agree

Does not even have to hard mount if hung from chains and then hung on front or real shackles..

scooter01922

No idea what it would be worth, don't think i have seen anything like that offered for sale so it may be tough to figure that out. Certainly seems to be a market though. Just grab some specs and pics whatever you do.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Like others have said, Please post the info off of the hyd. motor and maybe a pic of the coupling.

sak00

OK, i took some more pictures this morning of what I got. The first pic is a bracket that I'm not sure I need. It might go with the hydraulic pump. Oh Crap, these pics didn't turn out right. Cell phones! I'll fire up the regular camera when I get home. Sorry

Attachments

Last edited:

800summit

If you have it out, Check the Drum oil seals. Long time sitting will dry up the seals .
you will have to remove the cable, and pull the winch apart. The job is easy, the parts are heavy:cry: