• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I got myself in a buckle!

codyharper15

Here's the story. I won a m915 two weeks ago and got my EUC in the next Tuesday. Last Thursday, I won a m146 (got the EUC in that Friday the two EUC three days apart) to pull behind the m915 when I pick them up at the same time (that's goal at least).

Here's where the issues come into play. This past Monday, I received notice that the EUC for the tractor was already approved (the first I have ever done), only 6 days after sending it in. That was great news, but also not so good news. The reason being is I'm still in the process of getting my CDL, and that doesn't give me enough time to complete the process. Arizona's CDL manual wasn't clear about being able to drive CMV's alone with a permit, so I thought I was going to be able to drive the m915 and trailer home with my permit. I now know that's not the case.

The m915 starts with a jump, has 150 miles on it, and was rebuilt in 2009, but i'm going up to Nellis to replace the batteries and ensure everything is running well and up to par. My wife and I are going to make a vacation out of the trip, and I was planning on following her home in the truck.

My Question is; Is there anybody who would want to make a little cash and accompany me in the truck, from Nellis to Mesa, AZ? I prefer driving it to get the practice (I will give you a cash for your time), but at this point, if it comes to it, I'm willing to get the two items shipped.

quickfarms

You need to get both the tractor and trailer insured and a moving permits before you pick it up.

This can be a process for your first truck. If you have the right policy additional vehicles can be added with a phone call if you have the VIN.

Do a complete DOT inspection before you drive the truck.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hang in there. You still have some time left, for things to come together. If that 2nd EUC drags out, call GL there at the base and explain, that you need more time. My guess is, that you will find somebody here, that wants to go for a little ride. But the way I get it, you need somebody with a CDL too, if your going to drive it. There are plenty of posts on here, about the stuff you should take, so make sure you have a good KIT. If you have "one" with you, you won't need it! If I was just a little closer....... Good Luck

codyharper15

Thanks for the info about the insurance. Do you know any good insurers?

Yeah, I have a nice long list of things I'm bringing with me in my kit. I'm planning on inspecting the truck inside and out.

codyharper15

If I could weasel some more time, is there anyone in the Phoenix area who would want to make a little money giving me a little experience behind the wheel and providing a truck and trailer to get the driving portion of the CDL test passed? I know that is a big ticket, just thought I would try.

Tplane37

Check with your local colleges. Many have CDL classes and a rig. Might be able to pay for what you need. Also, if your in a small town, check with your local fire department, the Cheif might let you borrow the truck under conditions considering you technically own part of the trucks due to paying taxes. If AZ is anything like IL, you can take your CDL driving test in anything with air brakes... Like the departments smaller tanker r a grain truck, etc. Just some thoughts.

Barfkiller

Call the GL site and see if you can postpone the pickup a few days to enable you to get a few more things worked out. My experience with Nellis has been extremely positive.

codyharper15

Thanks for the comments, it has helped me figure out better what to do. I spoke to a crane guy yesterday, and through him I learned of a CDL school that is one on one. I can practice with and test with them, so I believe I'm going to go that route. That is a great thing to hear about Nellis, if I had two weeks, I should be able to get everything in order.

codyharper15

That is GREAT information. I can't use Gulfway because the truck will not be stored in an enclosed garage. I called progressive yesterday and they told me they couldn't insure the truck and referred to a company that never got back to me. Is there anything other information I need to tell them? Is the m915a1 similar to a civy truck that they nee to relate to? Also, I'm using this truck personally. Does that matter to progressive, or can they only insure the truck for commercial use?

codyharper15

That is GREAT information. I can't use Gulfway because the truck will not be stored in an enclosed garage. I called progressive yesterday and they told me they couldn't insure the truck and referred to a company that never got back to me. Is there anything other information I need to tell them? Is the m915a1 similar to a civy truck that they nee to relate to? Also, I'm using this truck personally. Does that matter to progressive, or can they only insure the truck for commercial use?

The policy that I have, is one I've had for probably 10 years or so. I started out with civy trucks,
and as I acquired my military trucks i switched them over and sold the civy trucks. The policy
that i have is for my own private use only. I've never had a problem with them. As a mater of fact when
I recover trucks i call from the location and give them the trucks information right off the truck, and have it and have proof of insurance faxed to a near by location.

codyharper15

Possible local tow needed

Alright, The EUC for the trailer closed today and I got ahold of Chris and Eddy at Nellis. They were VERY easy to work with and I appreciate it a lot. I had to reschedule a few times (I forgot of my wife's previous engagements).

I was able to schedule the pickup for the tractor & trailer for Tues. Feb. 26th @ 8:00am. The only catch is the earliest I am able to take my CDL driving test is Monday the 25th, the day before I am scheduled to do the pick up. I am planning on taking the test in the morning, get my CDL, and drive to Vegas afterwords. But, if I fail driving test and have to retake it, I wont be able to make it to Nellis until late Tuesday because I'll have to stay home another day to retest. I thought about moving the pick up date to Thursday, but I need to be home that evening.

My question is this: Is there anybody in that area who wants to make a few extra dollars, and who can be contacted the Monday before, who can pull the truck and tractor out of Nellis and store it for a day, if need be?

Of course I am not planning on failing, but I want to make sure all angles are covered. I have a m818 and m146 available to me to practice on these next few weeks

Artisan

If I were only wealthy.

I have an M925A1 w/ towbar and towing experience.
I am in Los Angeles County though.

Some day I hope I can help out a fellow MV'er.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks