• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I got the M814 home. Now what?

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I haven't posted about the M814 for a while as there just isn't that much going on. I drive the Long Easy about every two weeks, and have just been chasing small problems.
However, I have been fussing with the Genrac 35KW genny off and on for about 3 months now. First was removing the fuel lines to the tank on the 814, and doing a little plumbing work so I could run her off a jerry can. Just today, I found my last problem(disconnected low coolant switch). I tried to start the genny, and after 15 seconds of blue smoke, she lit off, spewing 6 dead wasps, a shower of the blackest liquid crud known to man, and settled down to a smooth speed. All the gauges work, and she seems to be making power.
I danced a jig in the bed of the 814, and thanked my lucky stars that a sight unseen purchase from GL worked out.

Now to just sell the genny.:mrgreen:

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have just completed the last major job that had to be done on the 814. The exhaust system was a mess, with a big hole in the pipe in both bends. I first went looking for somebody local that could bend 4" pipe. Not gonna happen around here. So I went online, and found a lower pipe from Clark. Ordered it, then had to puzzle out how to get the upper pipe. I just wanted a straight pipe with a flapper cap, and I thought I would be able to find this locally. Not gonna happen!!!! I finally found a muffler shop that had a cut up elbow, and a 3' section of straight pipe. He cut off the slip joint part, welded it to the straight pipe, and away I went, happy as a clam.
Spent the last two days assembling the parts, and went for a check out ride just this afternoon. I was pleased, as now all the exhaust goes up, up, and away. Pictures below.

Attachments

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hmmmmmm. I could do that. Just need some donor trucks, and I would have to learn how to weld.:jumpin:

R Racing

I just had to do the same on my M813 , But my Baffle in my muffler was lose and flooping around so with much effort I removed it :wink: its a bit throaty now lol .

indy4x4fab

Banned
Hay EMD567, did you ever get your heat core replaced? If not send 212sparky a pm he was telling me about a company in ohio that can make brand new replacement heater cores for the m35s and m809s trucks.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, it has been a few months since I have posted here. The 814 has been running fine, even after I tried to tear it up at the Ga Rally, by going into the woods. She came with a heater kit, and the heater core was rotten from bad antifreeze. I have been looking, for quite some time, for another core. I finally located one, with the box. So today, I installed the heater box, and after I figure out the wiring, I will have heat. Here are some pics.

Attachments

indy4x4fab

Banned
Gla to see that new heaters installed and working well. One thing I saw that you may want to add a little tar paper inside the air cleaner to buffer the heater core and boxe from each other, to prevent un-needed ware. But I bet that heat sure fells good now. Enjoy and glad to see it went well and no damage from shipping.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, it has been a while since I have posted about my M814, AKA the Long Easy.
I noted way back when I started foolin with the 814, that even with the long bed, there is not much room to store stuff. Since I have to provide the parts to keep the 814 on the road, I tend to carry a lot of spare everything. I figured out a way to add a fuel tank to the right side, and another toolbox to the left side. After a trip to John Winslow's, I procured the needed parts .
The 814 is blessed with double frame rails, and this proved to be quite the challenge to drill. I wore out two electric drills- one was 15 years old, and not much of a loss, but the other one was brand new, and the gear box was toast after 3 holes. I also used 2 1/4" bits, and 2 1/2" bits to drill all 7 holes. 7 holes you say-when there should be 8? Well, because I didn't check my hole position, I drilled right into a crossmember, making one hole unusable. We learn from our mistakes, and I won't make that one on the right side.
The only other hangup was bolts. I wanted to go with fine thread, like AM General used, but finding 1/2" fine thread bolts in Aiken was very hard. So I used coarse thread, and if and when I find a good supply of fine threads, I will change them out.
I also added marker lights to the bed. The bed is so long, that the ass end can and will disappear while driving at night. So now, at least I know where the rear of the truck is.
Anyhow, enough writing. Here are some pictures.

Attachments

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just an update on the "Long Easy". After 2 plus years, it appears that I have finally sold the genny that has ridden in the back of my M814. 2 plus years of having to walk, work, load, stare, wish, dream and a whole lot of other things.

So, to prepare the genny for it's new home, I drove the long easy to FOB "FERRO" in the rain on Friday. I really enjoyed the heater, which made the drive bareable. Inbetween rain showers, Ferro and I unbolted the the genny, rigged it for a lift, and removed it from the bed of the long easy.

Here are the pics from the operation.Hopkins-20130222-00054.jpgHopkins-20130222-00056.jpgIMG-20130222-00057.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks