• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I guess I just found my transfer case pto... now want winch too...

scootertrs

I was wondering how I would add a winch to my fire truck. I guess what I have is a transfer case pto coming out of the top of the back of the transfer case and is activated by this large lever that switches between water pump and drive line. I guess I have to add a "tranny pto" for my winch adapt? My truck has the std. pto lever behind the emerg. brake lever but it is disconnected. Any ideas how to make a winch fit? Thanks

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All you need is the usual winch set up for the deuce. The PTO bolts to the 3053 transmission. It's a lot of work to bolt the frame extensions and winch on, but can be done. There is a place for the trans PTO lever in the cab, it will not interfere with the transfer PTO lever and linkage, as they were made to be installed on the same truck.

scootertrs

My truck already has the "pto" lever in the cab behind the brake lever, but it is disconnected. Where on the tranny does the pto get attached? Is there a plate that gets removed? Thanks for the help.

scootertrs

How can I tell if I have a 3052 or a 3053 or an OD transmission? I cannot find any info to figure that out. My truck is a 5 speed. The pto that drives the water pump feeds off the back of the transfer case. That pto is activated by a lever on the left panel on the bottom of the water pump gauges and controls. You can spot it in the pic just above the air tanks towards the front, below the water system gauges. It is in a large U shaped channel that when in one position it says drive and in the other it says pump. here is a pic: The pto lever in the cab is a standard pto deuce lever, but it is not attached to anything once it gets into the transmission tunnel. Thanks all.

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gas powered trucks with the OA331 engine had the 3052 trans. The winch PTO lever will stick up through the transmission tunnel not far from the gas pedal, there should be a knockout. Nice truck!!!

scootertrs

Thanks, but this truck is a multifuel-being a newby I don't know if it makes a difference or not... Thanks for the compliment, she is pretty. I have a few scuffs on the body from transport and plan to fix by spot repainting-I lucked into this guy in Miami that actually matches the paint color perfectly and then makes you a spray can (like the one you buy at home depot) with terrific shelf life... And she stays RED! with the decals and everything.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Scootertrs, that PTO lever by the emergency brake is to operate the transfer case PTO. These trucks are ordered as chassis/ cab (M45A2) and the fire apparatus is added. At that point they disconnect the factory lever and hook it up to the fire apparatus. There should also be some type of declutching stuff there too. As mentioned before, the tranny PTO shifter is right behind your right foot when sitting in the truck. The wich and associated parts have no connection with your fire stuff unless the declutching stuff is in the way. If you would actually like to put your eyes on the stuff and have some time, I'm up west of West Palm Beach and I have one truck with the winch installed and all the stuff to add a winch to my other truck. I'd be glad to go over all of it with you!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks