• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I guess it is about time I introduced myself and a couple questions.

Camel Driver

I've been a LONG time lurker here and recently joined the forum.

I have to say that I have always been impressed with the site and its members. You all seem to be a very knowledgeable and friendly bunch. And the way that you help everyone out with their MV issues is just awesome.

With that said, my name is Bill and my wife Cathy and I will soon be proud new owners of an M1083 that we plan on converting to an RV. It has already made a trip to Utah from Missouri without any real problems. This time it is going in the opposite direction, from Utah to Gilberts, Illinois. This will probably take place early next month once I get all the plates, title and insurance taken care of. Lucky for me I already have a home built RV/truck camper based on a 2002 Ford F350 that is a retired AT&T service truck and I will be towing it back with a tow bar behind the M1083.

We are going to take a drive to MO. Monday to meet with another member here to acquire the tow bar. And as luck would have it, he is the previous owner of the 1083. Hahaha, it sure is a small world sometimes!

On to the questions! Basically I need to know what you would recommend as far as small items or spares. I will have a pretty extensive tool kit and misc. fluids for the truck along with a 20 ton bottle jack. Also will bring my digital and analog multi meters. What should I bring with as far as "must have" generic small items? There is ALWAYS that item you should have. Just like the ballast resisters for old Mopars. ;-) I will also have my laptop with (I think) all the repair/service manuals for the truck. Sheesh, there are a LOT of pages in those manuals!

My travel route I am planning is to use I80 out west in the hilly areas and then probably spend some time on US30 so I am not such a slow moving target on the interstate. I'm definitely not going to be in any sort of hurry on the return trip. I will be taking my time with the truck as long as I'm not on the big road aggravating all the truckers. (I have a commercial drivers license and I know what sort of issues I would cause plodding along at 45-50mph.)

Thanks for any advice you may have that pertains to the M1083 in particular.

PS......yeah, yeah, yeah, I KNOW.........pics! I'll see if I can figure out how to load them. ;-)

Camel Driver

M1083 Driver Side.jpgThere she is, as advertised! The current owner gave us a nice ride. She sounds and feels like a good truck. No odd noises or vibrations up to about 45mph. My wife's eyes got REAL BIG when she noticed the hole fro the gun turret. She pointed and said....."do you see that?" Hahaha, my wife is pretty awesome. I do believe she expects me to do something with that hole that is available in the roof. Yes, not only does she like big trucks but, she likes guns also! Sorry fellas, there are no more at home like her!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I've always found 6-point sockets to work better on MVs than 12pt. Finding kits with 6pt are getting harder to find for reasonable money if you want name brands. Sounds like you are getting ready to have a bunch of fun!

Katavic918

Welcome to the site. Make sure you have a way to change a tire. Hand truck or appliance truck should help lift the tire into position. As for 6 pt sockets, the harbor freight 3\4 or 1" drive impact sockets are affordable and tough.

Camel Driver

for a second with the Name Bill and Cathy thought this was going a different direction lol. (search Bill Caid)

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?152218-Essential-Tools-to-have-for-an-FMTV-Add-your-02

Anywhose....... as to tools spares etc..... here you go this thread pretty much covers it.

Thanks a bunch, exactly what I was looking for. Have most already but there are a couple things I will have to grab from HF.

And, Mr. Caid's camper is pretty nice. I have to admit I was cringing when I searched for a pic of it. I guess I was expecting a 1967 14ft camper with the axle hacked off. ;-)

Camel Driver

Welcome to the site. Make sure you have a way to change a tire. Hand truck or appliance truck should help lift the tire into position. As for 6 pt sockets, the harbor freight 3\4 or 1" drive impact sockets are affordable and tough.
Ahhh yes, thank you. I have to remember I'm dealing with 500lb wheels and tires. Hand truck and big ol' breaker bar. And I come equipped naturally with a pair of steel toe boots.....safety first!

Camel Driver

OK, now that I have a short list of the things I didn't think about, it's off to Harbor Freight tomorrow!

Thanks again, it's always the little stuff you don't bring that causes the most trouble.

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tires are not that bad to move around. You don’t have to pick them up off the ground, just be able to lift it up right. It’s a lot easier if you do it like the way to pick up a dropped motorcycle. As for changing the tires on the rim, I dismount after splitting the rim with some soapy water and 2 medium pry bars. If that doesn’t work I chain the tire to the truck and pull the rim out with a tractor lol. Working on these things is half fun

Camel Driver

Tires are not that bad to move around. You don’t have to pick them up off the ground, just be able to lift it up right. It’s a lot easier if you do it like the way to pick up a dropped motorcycle. As for changing the tires on the rim, I dismount after splitting the rim with some soapy water and 2 medium pry bars. If that doesn’t work I chain the tire to the truck and pull the rim out with a tractor lol. Working on these things is half fun
The truck does have a spare. Hopefully, that will be more than enough. And I have surely busted my share of tires so, I am keeping my fingers crossed that they are one thing I won't have to mess with on the trip.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Best way that I've seen to change a tire is this (using pipes)... https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showt...-Add-your-02&p=1864906&viewfull=1#post1864906

Keith Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
LOL!!! That’s my foot in the picture! And it works great! The aluminum tubing fits over the studs and fits through the wheel holes then lift a little and it slides perfectly in place all by yourself.

Camel Driver

The time is getting real close to go pick up the M1083. Title should be in my hands tomorrow so I can get all the paperwork done. Just finished the tow bar adapters for my current camper truck. Man is that tow bar a chunk of metal! Just have to throw together a set of tail lights and I'll be ready to go! KIMG0442.jpg

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Safe travels! Another member bought my M-1083 back in November. He drove it from TN to California. It can be done. We spent half of a day going over things and getting him ready. I think he had fun.

Camel Driver

OK, I finally have some good news! After all the hassles with getting insurance I was able to get "collectors" insurance through Gulfway. At least I don't have to keep the truck locked up inside a building and as long as I'm not doing ANY sort of hauling of stuff I can actually drive it without major restrictions. I will be looking into a more "suitable to me" policy in the future but I have what I need now.

I have had to do a little catching up on stuff around the house since I made it back from Utah on Monday the 16th. LOL, sorry I'm a little late with the update!

The trip went better than I was expecting with only one very minor breakdown, a broken hose clamp on the pressure side of the turbo. Was able to drive to a shop and purchase a replacement without any trouble. I also had to change out my right steer tire due to excessive wear. I think the toe-in is off a bit. :-D

After the 1400 mile drive I have found more than a few repairs are needed. Yes, I was expecting that! Most seem like they will be relatively easy and not too costly individually. But of course they will probably nickel and dime me to death or, at least tears! I was able to make one very important repair at about the half way point. Our heater is now working! It will be even better once I put a thermostat in the engine but, even that slightly warm air was better than the 15 degrees it was before!

After the trip I have come to appreciate the overall design of the truck much more than I figured. Especially the air brake system. It is definitely WAY OVERBUILT! This thing has enough air capacity to overcome some pretty good leaks. If I were in a typical semi-truck with the same leaks I would have had to keep the engine on high idle to build enough air to keep the parking brakes disengaged. This sucker kept the air gages pinned at 120psi even in rush hour traffic. Also, there is one heck of a lot of braking power in this system. I definitely was not the least bit concerned going down 7% grades with the Camel behind me on the tow bar. I didn't even notice that all of it's 9000lbs were behind me.

Anyhow, here are a few pretty pictures for you all to enjoy.........KIMG0450.jpgIMG_20180412_113731.jpgIMG_20180412_144848.jpgIMG_20180413_184439.jpg

Hahaha, most folks use their RV/camper to tow their toys. Not me, I just have to be different! And man does the Camel look tiny behind the M1083. The poor thing was BLACK with dirt by the time I made it home. The rain washed quite a bit off but, I still need to spend a couple hours on it with the pressure washer. The truck is still generating it's own dust storm when I drive it!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks