• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I hate to ask, how do you get 14.00's to inflate on ODIron wheels?

tjcouch

First time: BIG ratchet straps (2), valve core removed, many a hit from the Cheetah.

A couple of days ago, a slathering of this stuff and it aired right up . . . . no straps, no cheetah! JTM Products, Inc. - Products - Tire Mounting Lubricants

Amazing stuff.

Again . . . let me say that this is the best $9 that you could EVER spend.

The tire, once inside the rim, will seat itself with only an air hose. The bead just slides right on, it does not even "pop" into place.

I am sure it is cheaper than ether . . . . certainly safer!

kwiksilver

I'm adding to this post in case anybody uses it for info. Using ether was the only way to seat the 395 beads on my 20x11 one piece wheels. One thing I found was that if you leave the core out of a rubber valve stem, the fire will eject through the hole overheating it and it will spit the metal part right out of the stem. Also, let the ether evaporate in the tire for a few seconds, cause that is what gets the "woof" to inflate the tire. Enjoy

Kalashnikov

Since I have a sum total of one tire mounting experience under my belt, I'm not going to suggest anything, but I'm curious....The bias ply tire 16-20 NDCC tire for my 8x8 has a date code of 499, (which probably is 1989) and is far stiffer than described above. After almost twenty years, the bead to bead measurement was 14 inches and laying the tire down, I could stand on the beads with very little deflection.
After I managed to get the tire on the wheel and the ring installed, it was air tight and I could take my time filling it with air with small pops now and then as it adjusted itself. A couple of final large pops seated the tire against the rims when the pressure reached 35 psi.

The truck TM calls for 10 psi in mud and snow and I'm wondering if this sidewall stiffness and tightness on the wheel, which also has the "safety humps" are all part of the requirement or is this normal for bias ply tire? The tire is rated "10 ply".

If everything goes according to plan, I'll have a chance to mount one of the Goodyear MVT radials next week. It'll be an interesting comparison.
All bias ply tires are stiff and can be run at lower pressures because of this. I use to run my old 35x15 bias Super Swampers at like 8 PSI.

Gunner0311

My son says he has done this with WD-40, and it works great!

And with WD-40 if it does not all burn up you have a little silcone-based lube inside he tire when you are finished...

91W350

A local tire shop owner used ether on lots of tires over several years. I was always pretty cautious when around him, preferring not to be in the tire room. One day it happened, the shrapnel severely broke both of his arms and he has some steel bones now in one of the to keep his wrist from being pulled to his elbow. It was bad enough that he had to sell out and go to work for another dealer as a tire salesman. I have known him most of my adult life, I should ask him exactly what happened. Hate to see anybody get an injury like his.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Yes they did. It was just a huge gap between the tire and rim.

But as promised, the video:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJ1k0WuNspk[/media]
As of today, this video has 1,745,000+ views.

Eaglhawk

I have used a way to get the tires to seat the bead when ether is not available but an oxygen acetylene torch is handy. First start up your torch and get a neutral flame. Pop off the flame by pushing the head into a piece of wood. Then put the torch head inside the tire for a few seconds to fill the tire with the explosive mixture. Sometimes a couple boosts of oxygen will help. Then take the torch out and re-light the torch. Then wave the torch near the bead and grab your undie's! Oh, make sure you remove the valve core and after the boom and the air slows coming out, immediately put back the core or at least put on a air hose to maintain pressure so It does not suck itself off the bead. NOT for the FAINT of HEART. Too much mixture will end poorly. I have done it many times and yet to have a catastrophic failure. Start with a little and try, a little more and try until it finally seats. This method will burn all combustible gas so there will be no worries about future explosions.

Eaglhawk

Also just to be safe, I wrap a chain around the tire and through the center of the rim at 0,90,180, and 270 degrees for larger tires. Also make sure the inside of the tires are clean and not full of combustible goo of some sort that can explode like 91W350's post of the tire guys explosion.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks