• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I have joined the Goat herd

combat32

Started tear down and inspection today, she was funky inside, gears in good shape just the upper and lower bearings on worm shaft are toast.Haven't done one of these before but the step by step instructions are in the -34, how hard could it be?

Attachments

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Haven't done one of these before but the step by step instructions are in the -34, how hard could it be?
Well if the fresh out of AIT E-2 screwed it up Uncle Sam just bought a new one. I don’t think he’d do the same if you do. Good luck! No pressure :)

combat32

Got a little painting done today, more of an experiment, i see lots of sanding I'm gonna have to go back and do. Finally got my front steering gearbox adjusted out about right. I don't have a lot of the special tools and adapters they used in 3rd shop back in the day when rebuilding these so I made do. My kit was in good shape considering it was boxed up in 79.

You have to pay special attention as you have to set the pre load on the the bearings and gears in 3 different places to get it right, pretty happy with how it came out. Doing leak test today, TM call for 10 psi for 10 minutes should be no leaks, I don't have what it takes to pressurize it, so just filled it halfway with 90 wt, and look for leaks, so far none.

My only worry it the top race on my worm shaft was pretty rough, tried to smooth it up best I could, but I have a feeling I'll be back in here in a few years, in the meantime I'll be looking for a new worm shaft to squirrel away till then.

All other gears looked great, the design of this box sucks, or I should say location, think I'll always try to park nose uphill to keep the water out.

If no leaks I'll put it back in tomorrow.

Attachments

Last edited:

Gamagoat1

That puts grease between the shaft and bushing in the spindle. Not the wheel bearing,
Check the LO. number 6 in the notes.

By the way, that bushing is phenolic.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Happy 4th Tom.

Its been three years and you haven't finished? I thought it just needed the engine buttoned up and it would be good to go. What loser did you buy the hunk of junk from? :grin:

combat32

You know, its just one of those things, life keeps gettin in the way, makin good progress this year.
Got hood re installed yesterday, took forever, lots of tweaking and adjusing to get it about right, what a pain!

combat32

The hood is pretty and green, kinda looks like a cherry on top of a turd, no pics but will post some in a few days, hotter than fire here.

Gamagoat1

That puts grease between the shaft and bushing in the spindle. Not the wheel bearing,
Check the LO. number 6 in the notes.

By the way, that bushing is phenolic.
Trying to remember, I think this was discussed here some time back, is this grease zerk on top of the hub just for post fording operations?

m38inmaine

I am going to disagree with the lube order on this one. Here is a picture of a spindle assembly, you can see a black dot if you look directly below the grease fitting. This is where the grease comes out, not on the spindle shaft but on the inner bearing. If you pump grease in it's going to blow grease by the seal and you will have grease all over your brake shoes. Pack the bearings by hand and ignore those grease fittings. Originally they probably were to lube the spindle but some how the drawing was incorrect and the hole was drilled in the wrong location, hard to say.

Attachments

SgtMajHarper

Looking gooder and gooder…….I noticed the wife or kids put an additional thousand miles on it according to the odometer when you weren't looking.

Gamagoat1

Not real sure what this picture shows but that hole admits air from the engine air box to pressurize the brake drum. Check the connection ports on the spindle and make sure a zerk is not threaded into the air fitting, they are marked. It should be zerk, Hydraulic, air, on the drivers side. My zerk goes to the spindle bushing, a phenolic bushing that is supposed to prevent water from entering the drum. Suggest blowing air into that zerk fitting hole to see where it comes out. The markings for the air and hydraulic fittings are stamped into the metal at each hole.

I am going to disagree with the lube order on this one. Here is a picture of a spindle assembly, you can see a black dot if you look directly below the grease fitting. This is where the grease comes out, not on the spindle shaft but on the inner bearing. If you pump grease in it's going to blow grease by the seal and you will have grease all over your brake shoes. Pack the bearings by hand and ignore those grease fittings. Originally they probably were to lube the spindle but some how the drawing was incorrect and the hole was drilled in the wrong location, hard to say.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks