• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I have lights! (Convoy beacons)

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK all-
After hand to hand combat on these things, I got them wired correctly and working. I'll post details in another post.

I wired my toggle #3 on my overhead to 24vdc and ran to the relay from there.

Tomorrow is mounting and cleaning up wiring.

20210917_192036.jpg

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We made them with telescope rods. So we could lower them when we drove around without a rear cover. Raise them them when the cover was on. We had an inner and out rod. Holes drilled through them and could change the hight when needed. Great idea for lights. Good job Ken.
That's the setup I have. I have them extended in order to ensure I have enough wiring.

CGarbee

Now that he has them installed...
I've attached the two files containing the scans of the installation instructions for the convoy light set that I purchased NOS back in the 1990's for use on my M35A2C...that got moved to a XM813... One scan is of the text pages with the parts list and step by step installation instructions, the other is of the installation drawings...
Drawings by AM General dated 5-19-1984 for use on M39, M39A1, M39A2, M44A2, M809, M939...

I have also posted them in the TM section (uploads...).

Attachments

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Now that he has them installed...
I've attached the two files containing the scans of the installation instructions for the convoy light set that I purchased NOS back in the 1990's for use on my M35A2C...that got moved to a XM813... One scan is of the text pages with the parts list and step by step installation instructions, the other is of the installation drawings...
See... I told you we had it :cool:

If you had a wife that helped you by straightening up your workbench
- those papers would have been gone back in the 90's!

CGarbee

See... I told you we had it :cool:

If you had a wife that helped you by straightening up your workbench
- those papers would have been gone back in the 90's!
There are areas of the house and property that are off limits to the cleaning crew... :)
These pages have been in the flat file cabinet next to the workbench for decades... I'm surprised that they didn't yellow more than they did...

ToddJK

View attachment 845592

They're in the "in use" position right now. Ran out of time. Will finish later this evening.
Those look nice! I want to add some off road lights and a beacon or two just for better offroad experiences and in foggy/inclimate weather. If you have time, can you take a picture or two of how you wired them up inside or how you mounted your switch(es)?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Those look nice! I want to add some off road lights and a beacon or two just for better offroad experiences and in foggy/inclimate weather. If you have time, can you take a picture or two of how you wired them up inside or how you mounted your switch(es)?
If I remember correctly, Ken got an overhead console as a present from his best girl.
Beacon wiring was affixed to the switches in the overhead.

I am sure he will roll us up a few more pictures soon :)

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK bud... here we go....

Now.... I used a military relay to separate my main power/amps from my switch, so I'll include that in my description...

Here is my overhead console the three toggles were wired into a 24->12vdc converter. Toggle one is the Bluetooth stereo, toggle two is the backup camera, toggle 3 was open, but still had 12vdc to it so I disconnected the 12vdc lead:

20210714_102421.jpg

I connected this relay as such:

20210909_112838.jpg:eek:
Lead B-> chassis ground (I used one of the bolts for the soft top hooks on the back of the cab)
Lead C-> front side of toggle 3 (toward hood)-> circuit breaker on overhead console-> back side of toggle 3-> Battery +
Lead A-> Power to lights

If you don't want to run a relay, then run your wires:
Hot wire (Battery +) -> one side of toggle-> back side of toggle to light hot wire

Light ground-> chassis ground

and you should be good.

My wiring for the lights I ran into the battery compartment vent as I did my backup camera wires. (I zip tied the cluster to one of the soft top hooks to keep them away from the exhaust stack, falling through to drive shaft etc.)

20210921_143536.jpg

From there it was a matter of coiling extra wiring and making neat.

20210714_100438.jpg

Last edited:

ToddJK

OK bud... here we go....

Now.... I used a military relay to separate my main power/amps from my switch, so I'll include that in my description...

Here is my overhead console the three toggles were wired into a 24->12vdc converter. Toggle one is the Bluetooth stereo, toggle two is the backup camera, toggle 3 was open, but still had 12vdc to it so I disconnected the 12vdc lead:

View attachment 845894

I connected this relay as such:

View attachment 845896:eek:
Lead B-> chassis ground (I used one of the bolts for the soft top hooks on the back of the cab)
Lead C-> front side of toggle 3 (toward hood)-> circuit breaker on overhead console-> back side of toggle 3-> Battery +
Lead A-> Power to lights

If you don't want to run a relay, then run your wires:
Hot wire (Battery +) -> one side of toggle-> back side of toggle to light hot wire

Light ground-> chassis ground

and you should be good.

My wiring for the lights I ran into the battery compartment vent as I did my backup camera wires. (I zip tied the cluster to one of the soft top hooks to keep them away from the exhaust stack, falling through to drive shaft etc.)

View attachment 845897

From there it was a matter of coiling extra wiring and making neat.

View attachment 845898
Thanks for showing and describing that, much appreciated!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks