• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I have to drop the fuel tank

Bobweb

have to clean out the tank, reached my
Hand in the bottom and it has about And inch of misc. slime/rust particles.

I have the TM, but just asking for any tips or tricks from someone who has done this before. Any thing to look out for? Also a way to test the in tank fuel pump to make sure it’s working properly.

any suggestions welcome,
Thanks-rob

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it is that cruddy, consider dropping it off at a tank and radiator shop that will boil it out. When it is spotless, coat the inside with one of the commercial tank lining products.

As for in tank pump: a gauge at the elbow above the tank; in tank pump should give around 5-7 psi.

If you wash the tank out yourself, protect your eyes. It's not a fun job.
Bubba also partially fills the tank with solvent, throws a chain in, puts the tank into the back of the pickup and drives bad roads really fast for a week.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

HDN

It has to be easier than removing a fuel tank from my dad's M37. That thing was a bear to get in and out! At least if I have to pull the tank off my deuce I don't have to be under the truck the whole time :)

Bobweb

It doesn’t look too bad, like you say, it’s all open air.
Thanks for the advice cattlerepairman! I might try the bubba trick, all the radiator repair places close to me have closed. Nearest one is 100miles away.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good suggestions on the chain and E85. My main tank on my M51A2 is full of crud but I have a new tank for it. The aux tank has unknown crud in it per the person that sold it to me. Sounds like a candidate for the chain and E85 There is one baffled end I don't think I can access unless I cut the top of the tank off.

fleetmech

Even with a really good cleaning, if you've got slime now make sure you dose your first few post cleaning fillups with biocide. Algae/ slime/ diesel bug (whatever you want to call it) is tenacious and good at hiding in tiny cracks and crevices. Change your filters too, before you get her going again.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What I have found there is a difference between a type of algae and using a biocide and Asphaltenes. Biocide did not cut through my Asphaltenes and had to use the FuelOx product for it. Asphaltenes are the tar or taffy stuff that stick to the bottom of the tank. Reach in and scrape up some if it is there and like said it is like taffy tar when you try and get it off your hand. Also I carry extra fuel filters as the stuff will move through the system when treated.

Last edited:

davidb56

Good suggestions on the chain and E85. My main tank on my M51A2 is full of crud but I have a new tank for it. The aux tank has unknown crud in it per the person that sold it to me. Sounds like a candidate for the chain and E85 There is one baffled end I don't think I can access unless I cut the top of the tank off.
Ball bearings work the best. they can get by the "arch" in most baffles. you can even leave a few in there.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks