• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I haz whistle!

Gastrap

I thought I could resist the urge, but I gave in & bought a C from Boyce. Now I have a wonderful whistle:-D I'm sure my neighbors are as pleased as I am. I had first won one on Ebay, but the C pictured was not what I got as promised. that guy gave me a full refund & paid shipping back too, wish they were all like that! Boyce said they actually test run all the C's to make sure they whistle good:razz:

bryan70546

I thought I could resist the urge, but I gave in & bought a C from Boyce. Now I have a wonderful whistle:-D I'm sure my neighbors are as pleased as I am. I had first won one on Ebay, but the C pictured was not what I got as promised. that guy gave me a full refund & paid shipping back too, wish they were all like that! Boyce said they actually test run all the C's to make sure they whistle good:razz:
Nothing sounds better then a good ole turbo whistle
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TVICyyZrWc[/media]

Marlboro

If ya don't mind me asking what did you pay for the c? Also i know its kinda been covered before but difficulty rating 1-10, and any power loss or gain? I assume you had the d turbo b/4? Thanks from a guy with NO WHISTLE (YET)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
On a difficulty rating from 1 to 10, swapping from a "D" to a "C" is a 2 at best. A few parts to remove but not difficult at all. Powerloss would be negligible to the point that you couldn't feel it in the seat of the pants. Any significant power differences felt would be more likely due to health of the turbos. I would also advise anyone doing a turbo swap to spend the extra few minutes and drill the exhaust manifold for a pyro, you can always pipe plug the hole until you have a gauge.

dentman

congrats!!

loosely related to your OT, when you say Boyce checks to see if the C turbos' "whistle good" what do you mean other than some are louder than others? my neighbor has a ?? 1985 M49 and its waayyyyy louder than mine, even at idle the whistle is more, well whistley. Im asking because I think there is a relationship between the amount of whistle and lifespan of the turbo.

Gastrap

If ya don't mind me asking what did you pay for the c? Also i know its kinda been covered before but difficulty rating 1-10, and any power loss or gain? I assume you had the d turbo b/4? Thanks from a guy with NO WHISTLE (YET)
They have a couple options, give 'em a call for prices. I did have the D, and there's nothing difficult about changing them out unless you have some stuck hardware. Everything on mine came off easily.

Gastrap

congrats!!

loosely related to your OT, when you say Boyce checks to see if the C turbos' "whistle good" what do you mean other than some are louder than others? my neighbor has a ?? 1985 M49 and its waayyyyy louder than mine, even at idle the whistle is more, well whistley. Im asking because I think there is a relationship between the amount of whistle and lifespan of the turbo.
I think they check them to make sure they dont sell an LDS as a whistler,( I know its easy to tell by looking) he said some just dont sound right though. I think the whistle comes from the way the back half ( nearest seal ) of the exhaust turbine is squarely exposed to the exhaust flow, it looks like a waterwheel in there in a very narrow passage, there's no smooth transition at all like on other turbos. Bearing wear should not affect the noise unless its dragging IMHO. I asked him to check for excessive end play/ lateral bearing wear,slobber & look at the vanes, he said they always do.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks