• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I hope GL is watching this site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hobie237

Im all for private business, and if thats how they want to operate then so-be-it. It just seams to me that they would make more money if they put a little effort into customer service and maybe listening to what the customer wants. I think the American way as Hobie put it is for the "company" owners to make alot of money as fast as you can and then shut down and move on, screw your customers and screw the people you employed to help make you that money.

Marginal cost. What is the marginal cost of making that extra $250- processing forms and whatnot, having staff around while customers load out, etc.? I don't know, and I suspect you don't, either, but I suspect that GL has determined that stuff above the $150/lot threshold is worth it, and under that it's not. So they bunch that stuff together and sell it as a scrap pile above the $150 threshold.

Is it how you'd operate? I doubt you can really say, considering that I doubt you know the cost structure of GL. But I'd bet that you'd want to minimize employee hours/costs to maximize profits.

As for the "make as much money as you can and then shut down" thing, can you cite any examples of large businesses that just appear and then are shut down after the owners make a lot of money? Or are you more talking about the good old "CEO/owner greed" schtick that's been smattered throughout the news as of late? If I was a CEO of a large company, with all the responsibilities that come with it, and the liabilities that come with it, and I'd had to go through all the education and training and everything else required, you can bet your booty that I'd want to be compensated well for my time. On the other side, the shareholders, board, etc., determine the level they're willing to pay for the proper talent to run their company, and it's none of my business. If I don't like it, I can choose not to do business with that business.

That all being said, another angle to look at this is the fact that GL is selling taxpayers' property back to taxpayers. More power to them for finding such a niche, but it makes it extra crappy when they damage stuff, or misrepresent stuff, or whatever- since YOU and ME paid for that stuff, and YOU and ME paid for the replacements.

KsM715

GL has every right to maximize profits. But to what extent? At some point they are going to piss off enough people (customers) that its going to hurt their bussiness.

I was hoping enough people that felt the way I do about this particular GL policy would speak up and maybe something might change but this hsa just turned into pissing match about GL good or bad. I know some 300 people have looked at this and just dont want to get in the middle of it.:cry: I guess I should have tried a poll on this policy.

Michael

GL has made so many changes that I don't like I have lost count. Most of them can actually be blamed on DRMO. I don't like the demil changes, all the B/Q lots that I watch not showing up on my closed watch list and the increase in min bid. I don't like the increased base secerity either. I don't like all the stuff being moved around so much.

But, to answer your OP, I have seen many things that I would have bid on had the old min bid been in place. Did they go unsold? I don't know because it isn't on my closed watch list because everything of interest is B/Q now.

Last edited:

hobie237

GL has every right to maximize profits. But to what extent? At some point they are going to piss off enough people (customers) that its going to hurt their bussiness.
Well, yeah. In which case they'll either fail and a better company will replace them, or they'll change, again, to maximize profits.

I was hoping enough people that felt the way I do about this particular GL policy would speak up and maybe something might change but this hsa just turned into pissing match about GL good or bad. I know some 300 people have looked at this and just dont want to get in the middle of it.:cry: I guess I should have tried a poll on this policy.
The best way to stand up isn't to rant on the internet, it's to take action. The best way to force a change with any business is to choose to not do business with them. If there are less bidders, prices (and their profits) will fall, and they'll have to do something about it. The internet ranting is useful to help get others to take action, though. :)

Last edited:

KsM715

GL doesnt care at all what anyone thinks . They still get the bussiness , sorry to be so blunt
How many of us have sworn not to buy from GL anymore but still do it anyways? They are the only game in town and they know it. And dont anyone chime in and say buy from private dealers, dealers have to get that surplus from somewhere.

Sumoman

Why should either the government or GL care, they have a product people are willing to buy. I will buy again, and deal with the BS (IF it comes) because I cannot get better prices anywhere else I am aware of, nor can I find a deuce in the condition I got mine and pay 1/5th the cost.

I have had only good service and solid buys from GL.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is all making sense now. I'm betting that they have to offer stuff up for bid before they can retail it. By raising the min bid on shelter halves and the like, they reduce the chance of them selling and subsequently put them in their retai store. These are some crafty SOBs.

mdog

I expect they make the 10% as their gross and then have to deduct expenses. A $150 lot gives them $15 and they have to take pictures, supervise inspection, load out and collect money and do paperwork. Its easy to combine unsold lots into bigger groups for resale. Makes perfect sense to me.

Avn-Tech

Group,

I used to buy about $2000 a month from DRMO. Then GL took over, and I had an arguement with them and di not bid on anouther thing until last month.

There are things that I do not like about GL, but they are not that bad in reality. Where else can you buy a Deuce for $1000 - $1800. I have also seen lots that I would consider buying at lower cost, but not at $150. How many other people here have tried to run a business? There are lots of cost that most people do not understand, untill you run a business with employees.

Personally I do not see how GL can process a Deuce for $150 and make a proffit. Are you willing to work for free? I know the GL employees expect to get paid. $150 equates to about 2 hrs of an employees time (wages + additional cost). Now if you keep enough things coming in to keep the employee buisy that is fine, but there will be times when the employee is idle and still has to be paid. For every person you see, there is probably three people behind the scens supporting them (payroll, IT, benifits, ect). Then you have the cost of telephones, buildings, equipment, ect.

Bottom line, if you think you can do it cheaper, contact the governmet and try for the contract! But be carefull what you ask for, you mite not like it when you get it!

Then you would have to listen to people like us tearing you a new one, without all the facts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks