• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I imploded my winch.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
TKM - I have to concur with Sandcobras comment, post #18. It takes a brave and humble fellow to fess up to a big screw up on a semi public forum, full of all of the 'older' - been there, done that types, mods, grammar police, TM junkies etc., etc. You did this for the greater good, your experience may save a lesser mortal ("lets buy an army truck n go muddin!") from a similar fate..... If they read the thread that is.

I too have made stoopid mistakes, broke stuff and learnt a lot - even having read TM's and what threads the misguided search function throws up. The only point to add is that when you screw up with a bicycle, it won't go far beyond scuffed knees - thousands of pounds trucks and winches... different story.

So - welcome. ... Rebuild, move forward and enjoy life.

I'll look forward to your future posts.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
TKM, So you made a mistake. The upside is that no one was hurt...this time. I have had a winch truck for over 5 years and never used the winch on it. Why? No need. Would I use it? Maybe but only with reading the TM and Gimpy standing there with me showing me the right and safe way.

I like the pics. I like seeing destruction like that where no one gets hurt, even when it is my truck (my LDT broke a crank last year and it looks cool).

Update us on the shear pin and let us know what you do to fix it all.

:)

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most people that are new and get bashed by moderators just cuss people they don't like out and get deleted from the site as a whole.
Joe, and others, I don't understand why you think he was "bashed by moderators".

I simply asked questions straight out to clarify contradictory statements.

I'm just as interested in finding the cause of the issue, as anyone else. I look at this thread(and many others) like an investigation. We must get the facts straight to get to a correct conclusion. Just because I ask for clarification, does not mean I am bashing.

I really get frustrated when I sense negativity to my posts(such as in this thread). I was not being negative at all. Simply stating facts, and trying to get the facts straight.

Now, as for his winch. I question the rust on the worm gear. I wonder if it has had water in it and froze. This could have caused the housing to crack/expand, weakening it. Obviously the roll pin did not yield, as a shear pin should have. And finally, the linkage may be bent/mis-adjusted, as the OP said.

It is a shame to see this damage knowing the OP said he has a bag of the correct shear pins in the truck, but never checked the installed pin to see that it was correct.

I think several factors caused the complete failure.

Please look at this as objective statements. I am NOT placing any personality into this. Just stating the facts.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DH hit it right on the head, these vehicle have been through a lot of different hands in their life. You got to ask yourself "what if"? I have aquired two trucks with winchs and the second item checked was to ensure the shear pins were correct. First this was check the oil. These trucks are loaded with potential gotchas, missing cotter pins, safeties, snap rings etc, not to mention correct lube type and quantities.

eagle4g63

Man, that is a failure!!!:shock:

Like said, the roll pin had to be the biggest gremlin in that equation. At least like you said you have the right ones, so when you fix it, it will be right this time.

I also find it funny that a few people post comments that would lead to them thinking you are a newbie.........goes to show just how well people really read things....I noticed your join date is only a few months behind mine.......OK so you haven't been here since the beginning(and neither have I) HOWEVER I noticed that you have been here for 2 years.....This just amazes me.....how much some people just "glaze" over......

So, how long does someone have to be here to NOT be called a "newbie"???

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
.....So, how long does someone have to be here to NOT be called a "newbie"???
I'd hazard a guess as 5 years or 800 posts or more - whichever comes first!!! ...... Keep typing, keep learning.... Oh yeah, it helps if you own a whole motor pool too!

Heck - I've had/been around MV's for 35 years but only last year got an M816... I'm ok with being a neub again.

.... Then again, there are plenty of Lurkers that have been members for years but refrain from getting their feet wet. It's all in the membership TM - not read it yet!!!! :-D

Last edited:

Checkmate

Damage Assesment

Now, as for his winch. I question the rust on the worm gear. I wonder if it has had water in it and froze. This could have caused the housing to crack/expand, weakening it. Obviously the roll pin did not yield, as a shear pin should have. And finally, the linkage may be bent/mis-adjusted, as the OP said.

It is a shame to see this damage knowing the OP said he has a bag of the correct shear pins in the truck, but never checked the installed pin to see that it was correct.
To add to this...

From a understanding of how one of these winches operate (not actually operating one ;-) or even owning a MV) the winch was not maintained properly (previous operator fault not TKM's.) Judging from the pictures that were supplied I am inclined to say that the main ring gear in the winch is intact and can be used to rebuild another winch, which judging from other people's comments would be very fortunate for TKM.
I would have to say that the cause of the destroyed housing is that the worm gear had way greater than average spring tension (but not enough to destroy the worm gear) on it (from being unable to turn the drum any further) and explosively released the tension in the only way it could, breaking the bottom of the housing wide open.

Just to say it again, this damage assessment is based purely on operational principles not first-hand experience.

Just to recap incase my little paragraph is too hard to follow:
- Poor winch maintenance by previous operators
- Ring Gear is intact and usable
- Worm Gear is culprit behind housing breakage

Anyone with first hand experience feel free to contradict this since what I am working from is a "book-based" understanding.

Thanks for reading and Good luck to TKM for speedy repairs.

JCKnife

I don't know how you could speculate that the ring gear is intact without seeing it. It is made of a softer metal than the worm gear, I would guess it would have deformed badly BUT without pics that is only a guess.

I wouldn't be re-using that worm gear either, I don't think.

The King Machine

Thanks for every ones input, very constructive. Last night I started to gut my replacment winch case. Most of the guts are removed already, I have it broken down into pcs. I have put them in the parts washer and cleaned them up. It looks to be in good shape. The pcs of formed steel and the threaded round bar that holds the two half pcs together are bent to crud so I will have to replace them. I'm thinking I might take this further, I will measure up for a piece of plate steel that will bolt to existing holes on the winch, it will replace the two formed brackets with one solid formed plate that will act as a shield for the radiator. Just an idea that I will message out as I rebuild the winch. Also there are some seals I will replace, as the winch I destroyed had a bad leak from one of them. I will need to source them out for replacement. As for the gears inside the wrecked one, I will not bank on them being in good shape. So it will be a surprise when I pull them for inspection. The worm gear has some surface rust, I'll hit it with a wire wheel to see how bad the pitting is. Another great thing is my new winch body has the drum lock in it, but was damaged. So at least I can salvage the little handle and spring to fab a new pin.
I took some pictures , with post when I get home.

Thanks again

jamawieb

Keep us posted with pics, I'll tell you from experience that rebuilding the winch is an easier job than most. Also, don't be upset when you get the new seals in and you still have a leak. I had to rebuild mine due to a broken ring gear and the new seals slowed the previous leaks but did not stop them. I started using corn head grease and all the leaks have stopped.

Iski

I have no first hand knowledge of the failure mode, but it could be that the sheer pin was correct, but the housing had a hidden fracture from previous abuse, causing it to be weaker than the pin. I have seen this type of failure in electric motor worms that failed due to hidden housing cracks. If this is the case, its better to find when you actually don't need the winch.

Very interested in what you find, and how you rebuild it.

Good luck with the rebuild.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have no first hand knowledge of the failure mode, but it could be that the sheer pin was correct, but the housing had a hidden fracture from previous abuse, causing it to be weaker than the pin. I have seen this type of failure in electric motor worms that failed due to hidden housing cracks. If this is the case, its better to find when you actually don't need the winch.

Very interested in what you find, and how you rebuild it.

Good luck with the rebuild.

post #21
a couple more, closer inspection reveals a compression pin. Son of a !!!!
It is always best to actually read all of the posts before posting.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks