• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I installed PTO on my M813 and now it's acting strange....

dma251

I finished the winch install today and drove the truck about 100 miles+

No more noise and the winch/pto work great. I am still a little unsure what mode the pto/truck needs to be in to check for freeplay in the output shaft, but like I said before - with the motor off and in gear, and the pto engaged, I get a very slight amount of freeplay on the shaft when twisted by hand. By slight I mean less then 1 degree.

It seems fine. Thanks for the great tips. Again.

Damon

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you get a chance, Recheck the lash after everything is up to temperature( after a good road-trip) just to be sure. One degree sounds awful close.(I would be happy with up to 10 degrees play at the pto output shaft)
but like I said before - with the motor off and in gear, and the pto engaged
That is the correct positions to check the lash.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
It's too dark for me to check, but I too have a similar issue with my M543. I changed the oil in the transmission out with 40wt. It grinds when shifting around in 3-4-5. Downshifting is almost impossible. I'll peak at the PTO tomorrow to see if I can see any thickness in the gaskets. Would it be worth the time trying to stack extra gaskets in it if I don't see anything thick? Maybe check the play as well?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You should be able to feel the gear lash by rotating back and forth the pto shaft by hand.

hemichallenger

I reinstalled my pto today with two .020" gaskets from napa and some rtv sealant. The previous owner was running only onegasket and it wasn't making any noise and functioned fine for some time without problems. He removed the pto to use on another rig, but then ended up selling back to me. My point is this is the same pto going back on the same truck that previously worked well with one gasket.

I am waiting for the rtv to cure before I fill it up and drive it, but with the pto engaged and the engine off I am able to get a slight amount of play when I try to turn the pto shaft by hand. What do you think?
The gaskets are shims and some are thicker than others. Mike what you take off and start with the same thickness but still check the backlash.

hemichallenger

I finished the winch install today and drove the truck about 100 miles+

No more noise and the winch/pto work great. I am still a little unsure what mode the pto/truck needs to be in to check for freeplay in the output shaft, but like I said before - with the motor off and in gear, and the pto engaged, I get a very slight amount of freeplay on the shaft when twisted by hand. By slight I mean less then 1 degree.

It seems fine. Thanks for the great tips. Again.

Damon
You do not check the pto shaft. You need to check the back lash between the transmission and the pto drive gear. By turning the shaft you are not checking the backlash of the drive gear.

5tondeuce

I bought my shims and gaskets from Memphis Equipment after talking to them about proper gear contact. He told me improperly shimmed gears will crack the pto housing or break the main gear $250 for a new gear.Here is the email from Marty at memphis equipment:

Hi Marty,

I have a 1969 M818 tractor with the 250 cummins. I bought a pto gear from you guys a while ago and I need to

install the pto on the truck now. I was told by one of your co-workers that I need 2 pto gaskets and a shim for proper

gear contact. Could you let me know if I am right in saying this and if so I would like to buy them from you.

Thanks very much Marty

Sincerely Chris

Chris

You are correct. You need 2 of P/N 5214787 gasket $1.14 ea. and 1 of P/N 35P9-1 shim $.90 ea.
Just let me know and we can get them headed your way.

Hope this helps

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm impressed that Memphis can measure your gear lash via an email! Very impressed.

I've seen anything from just a gasket to 2 gaskets and a .125 shim needed.

Too much is usually better than not enough.

If you want to do it right, pull the top and use a feeler gauge and set it as the TM says.

If you want to guess, guess.