• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I joined the CUCV crowd. M1009 now in the motorpool.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Got the solenoid replaced at lunch. Starts great now. Kickdown is working correctly as well. Now if I could only figure out why the radio and AC aren't working... rofl

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got the solenoid replaced at lunch. Starts great now. Kickdown is working correctly as well. Now if I could only figure out why the radio and AC aren't working... rofl
I can answer both to some degree of certainty. A/C, windows need to be down and the truck needs to be moving. Sacrificing either kills your cooling. Radio, I'm guessing at this one, your Ipod is not a 6th gen Nano with FM built in.

Solution, get moving and get the I heart app for you phone! LOL

On a more serious note, I plan to add a meduim amp with a pigtail to plug in my Ipod and I scored a set of factory speaker panels for the back of the cab. In the end all you will see is the Ipod and the wire to plug it in. I bought one of the cheap (and I mean CHEAP) MP3 amps from China. Don't know what I was expection for $14. Maybe it will make a decent pre-amp for the real amp.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I'm actually toying with the idea of picking through a factory chevy truck with air and trying to make it all fit under the hood. Or getting a universal under dash AC setup. We're changing phones actually, I'll be getting a thunderbolt which has a FM radio in it! I might just pick up a set of PC amplified speakers and mount them in the truck. Get a cradle for the phone and just let that be the radio. [thumbzup]

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A/C will fit, minor massaging of firewall in a few areas I am told. Batt 2 will need to be relocated and then come up with compressor mounts. The kits sold at places like OD Iron have compressor mounts that go on the far right side of the engine but I've never seen anyone work those with the factory firewall a/c stuff. My M1008 will be parked until fall now with the exception of trips after the sun goes down. Too dang hot.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Shot the body with a mix of rustoleum. (1 quart Hunter Green Gloss, 1/2 quart Red Rust Primer) Not exactly happy with the results. I'm going to wet sand it and try to "dull" it up a bit. The color turned out nice though. Much like the forum's screen color.

Hightechken

Same body parts problem happened to me. A friend of mine had an old K5 Blazer out in has back field down for the count for years. When I got my M1009 I called him to see if I could get some parts, The WEEK before he junked it! ARRGGHHH

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The pics make it look way better than it really is, but at least it's all one color now. I think it will look "better" when the paint oxidizes it a flat OD.

Going to drive it to work tomorrow. I did notice another issue. The e-brake isn't hooked up correctly. And Bubba replaced the rear passenger brake line and routed the line OVER the leaf spring. Not really worried about that as these axles will eventually be dumped for a set of 1008's. But I would like a working e-brake. Have to figure out the nut size I need for the line and reattach it.

Not a fan of the chrome wagon wheels though...

Attachments

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Added a coolant temp gauge and oil pressure gauge today. I hate idiot lights. Especially when the oil pressure light bulb was bad! I hacked up the gauge cluster where the oil pressure light and 4wd light are. I opted to install the gauges there. Since the oil pressure light was bad, and I'm pretty sure I realize I'm in 4wd when I pull the lever and look at the indicator. Also replaced a side marker and tail light bulb that was burned out.

Started it up and let it idle while I worked on the bulbs. Holds 50psi of oil hot and idled at 180F. :)

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Drove it to work today to the main office. It's a 88 mile trip. Took 4.48 gallons to do it. Works out to 19.6mpg. I will certainly be looking into setting up a duel fuel system on it and driving it more. Better than the 17mpg the jeep gets.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks