• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I just inherited a bundle of AN/VRC goodies!

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A fellow collector has been cleaning up his shop and graciously loaded me up with all sorts of AN/VRC gear. It seems the highlight of the bundle is the AN/VRC-53 or -64? Radio set using the AM-2060/GRC adapter to plug the PRC-77 into the MT-1029 mount.

20240527_170613.jpg

20240527_170627.jpg

20240527_170643.jpg

There's still lots of parts to sort through and organize but it will be fun!

Last edited:

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was able to stow the AM-1780 amps and C-2296 crew boxes in the old packaging i still had from Recodefense and it reminded me of how thorough and how detailed Gary was in his craft - to the point that his attention to detail carried over into the packaging. All of the boxes just fit exact and those boxes fit perfectly together into the next box. Just a class act all around. Kudos, Gary! You are missed.

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
about 20yrs ago i had a construction helper who claimed to have been in a company commo section ... He talked the talk and likely had been commo.. I had two PRC77's which worked fine except, of course, batteries were sometimes an issue.. He offered to build a vehicle power adapter (24 to 15VDC)

IN the end, while testing a 77 with his concoction he said he accidently got the polarity reversed... That radio never worked again and i never took the time to pursue it.. What got fried? Worth fixing? Perhaps US6x4 has what i need laying right there in the truck bed ! :LOL:

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Perhaps! The collector i got this from mentioned that the internals are made in modules so a module with a faulty component can be replaced with another module.

He also mentioned there are people who make battery packs composed of D-cell batteries. I'll have to look into that deal.

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Perhaps! The collector i got this from mentioned that the internals are made in modules so a module with a faulty component can be replaced with another module.

He also mentioned there are people who make battery packs composed of D-cell batteries. I'll have to look into that deal.
Yes there are people that have been doing D cells for a long time now.. The commo helper had also offered to make me a D-cell box that fit inside the radio battery case, but being i was using the pricks in military vehicles, well, no D's (or OEM batts) were wanted ;)

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm also planning to use the -77 in my vehicle in lieu of an RT-524 so I guess I won't need a battery pack as power will come from the truck.

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm also planning to use the -77 in my vehicle in lieu of an RT-524 so I guess I won't need a battery pack as power will come from the truck.
how does the adapter you had mentioned also step down the input voltage? .. I was unaware there was such a thing, so, thanks for mentioning it .. Back when i was messing with these i didn't have any vehicle radio mounts, but I have a couple now that came with the trucks

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know anything about the AM-2060 adapter or how it changes the voltage. Maybe a transformer of some sort? There is a large solid block that houses something fairly heavy in it. All I've found from my limited collection of radio TMs that mentions this setup is this:
20240530_210416.jpg

20240530_211625.jpg

20240530_211558.jpg

Looks like it only transmits on low and looks like I need to get ahold of TM 11-5820-498-12

D6T

about 20yrs ago i had a construction helper who claimed to have been in a company commo section ... He talked the talk and likely had been commo.. I had two PRC77's which worked fine except, of course, batteries were sometimes an issue.. He offered to build a vehicle power adapter (24 to 15VDC)

IN the end, while testing a 77 with his concoction he said he accidently got the polarity reversed... That radio never worked again and i never took the time to pursue it.. What got fried? Worth fixing? Perhaps US6x4 has what i need laying right there in the truck bed ! :LOL:
There should be a reverse polarity diode blown somewhere…usually as a protection right where power enters the radio itself.

I’ve only been an end user on those radios, never did any work on them, so I don’t know specifically what to look for.

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I ordered TM 11-5820-498-12 which sheds a little more light on the AM-2060 mounting unit. Although the PRC-25 or -77 battery pack delivers 3 & 15 VDC, this unit outputs 3 & 13...

20240608_061433.jpg

20240608_061459.jpg

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter

web site PRC68.com has them.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is the lower full size tray that fits under the full size upper tray. It makes a double stack. The full size upper Tray sits on top of the lower tray with a u bracket and bolts underneath the top tray.

Used with many models of radios. Rt524, sincgars, and some of the harris that replaced sincgars.

Typically the lower tray holds ls671 speakers or vic 3 intercom components.

Fits all model of hmmwv's. Later turbos use different feet and brackets to a adapt.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pics on my thread
See post 34