• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I know I'm going to win a Gomer award for this question, but here it is anyway!

math1960

What is the size and thread type of the nuts that are on the positive battery junction on the firewall :oops:? I bought a box of 5/16 coarse hex nuts and was told this is the same as 12mm. I tried both fine and coarse 5/16 but they don't screw down right. What am I missing here? The bolt is not stripped, that I can see. I used a 13mm crescent wrench on this and the other nuts.

It seems my blazer is in good shape, but most of my electric problems is loose connections.

Thanks for any help.

Wally

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
[h=2]5310-00-252-8748 ( MS20341-516C, MS33650-3314, MS35650-3314, FF-N-836 ) Characteristics Data[/h]
MRCCriteriaCharacteristic
BZRR THREAD SERIESUNF
CQJX NOMINAL THREAD SIZE0.312 INCHES
CMLP THREAD QUANTITY PER INCH24
AAJD THREAD CLASS2B
AAJF THREAD DIRECTIONRIGHT-HAND
MATT MATERIALSTEEL COMP 302 OR STEEL COMP 304 OR STEEL COMP 304L OR STEEL COMP 305 OR STEEL COMP 309 OR STEEL COMP 310 OR STEEL COMP 316 OR STEEL COMP 316L OR STEEL COMP 317 OR STEEL COMP 321 OR STEEL COMP 347 OVERALL
MDCL MATERIAL DOCUMENT AND CLASSIFICATIONQQ-S-763 FED SPEC ALL MATERIAL RESPONSES OVERALL
SFTT SURFACE TREATMENTPASSIVATE OVERALL
STDC SURFACE TREATMENT DOCUMENT AND CLASSIFICATIONQQ-P-35 FED SPEC SINGLE TREATMENT RESPONSE OVERALL
CQFM HARDNESS RATINGNOT RATED
ACTA NUT STYLEA12 HEXAGON
ADEA NUT HEIGHT0.208 INCHES MINIMUM AND 0.225 INCHES MAXIMUM
ASDB WIDTH ACROSS FLATS0.545 INCHES MINIMUM AND 0.562 INCHES MAXIMUM
CRTM BEARING SURFACE TYPECHAMFERED
AZKQ TEMP RATINGNOT RATED
ZZZT NONDEFINITIVE SPEC/STD DATA2 TYPE AND 13 STYLE
SR-1 MANUFACTURERS CODE81348
SR-1 NON-DEFINITIVE GOVERNMENT SPEC/STD REFERENCEFF-N-836

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll give you one guess how I found that info.

I'll also give you one hint. Technical Manual

MarcusOReallyus

I bought a box of 5/16 coarse hex nuts and was told this is the same as 12mm. I tried both fine and coarse 5/16 but they don't screw down right. What am I missing here?
Nut size is one thing. Thread pitch is a very different animal.

For example, 1/2" and 13 mm are close enough that you can use 13mm wrenches on 1/2" nuts & bolts. But try a 1/2" nut on a 13mm bolt and it won't work at all.

Same deal on 3/8" and 10 mm.

Best advice?

Don't try to mix them.

math1960

Thanks for the info. I see your point Marcus, I'll try metric. Doghead don't think the guy at auto zone can use this TM data for a hex nut. Nice try tho.

forest522

I love the technical manuals! Best advice I ever received from this forum long ago when I too received my Gomer award. Read the TMs, print out some and put them in the bathroom.

Some find them complicated, hard to read and difficult to understand. Why don't they make TMs for women?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let's see. From DHs technical info:

UNF=fine thread
.312 = 5/16
24 thread/in = fine

I would say a 5/16 fine thread is what you are looking for.

I suppose you "could" make a course thread fit.

Last edited:

DieselBob

Also GM decided sometime around 1980 that it was time to start mixing in metric fasteners in totally random location just to make them more “universal” to the rest of the world so it could be anyone of 3 or 4 thread pitches.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am also guessing that someone "tried" the coarse and that is why the fine isn't working correctly.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is the size and thread type of the nuts that are on the positive battery junction on the firewall :oops:?
So, I give you the exact information you asked for, then I tell you how I found it, and you reply with this?

Thanks for the info. I see your point Marcus, I'll try metric. Doghead don't think the guy at auto zone can use this TM data for a hex nut. Nice try tho.
I think I understand the problem. :cry:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
• Do not post in all CAPS or in giant run-on sentences without punctuation. Do not post as if texting and do avoid the use of texting abbreviations. We are not the grammar police but we want everyone to easily read your post in at least 8th grade English. It is extra work to post proper sentences from a smartphone but the result will be greatly appreciated. Please do your best to use capitalization, proper spelling and punctuation. It makes it easier for everyone to read!

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh, could you post a picture of your 13mm crescent wrench?

I'd like to add one to my toolbox.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks