• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I let the smoke out :(

msoumas

So I bought myself a new 1000 watt power inverter from Costco to put in my M1009... it came with about two feet of cable, so I thought the easiest way to wire it up would be directly to the accessory wiring harness in the truck's interior. I was under the impression that this was 12v, so there should be no problems. I got all the wires set up, and when connecting the last wire got the surprise of a lifetime as the inverter sparked, popped, and caught on fire. I quickly unscrewed the cables and pulled the (still burning, mind you) inverter out of the truck and onto the ground. Now I'm going to have to tell Costco that they sold me a dud, and then figure out what I did wrong before I put the new one in. Was I wrong about the voltage? If so, is there a way I can still wire it up to that block?

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Every inverter i've ever installed, all over 500 watts, had to be connected directly to the battery.

54reo

msoumas said:
Now I'm going to have to tell Costco that they sold me a dud.
As a small business owner, this kind of thing really burns me...(no pun intended).

I get sooo sick of people who want something for nothing.

Maybe I'm being too hard on you, but.....

dm22630

RE: Re: I let the smoke out :(

WHEW!! I am glad I didnt buy one....I have been eyeballin them lately....

BTW...Can a power inverter work on a 24volt system at all?