• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I made a tutorial for Replacing Temp. Coolant Switch, Feedback welcome.

Zafy2

My truck has been having warm start issues (still not fixed) so I replaced the Coolant Temperature Switch/Fast Idle Switch from threads I read but with no reference pictures so it was a hassle. I'm new to automotive and probably got a few things wrong, but I made a video to show what I did, and how to replace it. I would like some feedback incase I said something wrong, what I could add or remove, or something that just doesn't sit well before I open the video up publicly. (Right now it can only be seen through this link below):

http://youtu.be/Ftbj3z8u6-0

If this is completely in the wrong thread, can you point me in the right direction? Thanks!

jpg

Thanks for the video.

I decided to do this too, since my sensors are 30 years old. I went to order the part, and quickly got confused. The TM shows the sensor fits into a bushing, and the parts guys list that sensor as for a GM 6 cyl diesel. The part used in the video has no bushing. Delco lists that part on Amazon for $200. RockAuto lists several options for this sensor for the 6.2, ranging from $3 to $30, and of various threads and diameters. Clearly some of them won't fit. Clearly some are better than others.

I don't mind paying a little extra to get a quality, reliable, durable part. But the range of $3 to $200 seems a little extreme. I know some places have massive markups on cheap parts, and some places give good prices on good parts, so price is no indicator of quality. Delco outsources manufacture of many of these parts, so you don't know where it's made until you own it, if then.

GM offers a part that matches the number in the TM, but it has a different connector than shown in the video. I went to the stickies, but they don't seem to address this. I found some very old threads on this, none of which gave me enough confidence to order the part.

So I punted. I could pull the old part and take it to the parts store, but I risk breaking a working part, not finding a replacement, and being left worse off than I am. I'm told these sensors are a little fragile, and after 30 years, it may take some torque to remove.

I have a little box of spare parts in the truck. It contains small things like glow plugs, belts, Glowplug controller card, etc. I'd like to include the small sensors like this temp sensor, so I'm not down for lack of hard-to-find parts, or parts that are available if you could only figure out what to order because the old part numbers are dead.

Is there a list somewhere of currently-available part numbers for good-quality replacement parts for sensors like these?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good video. However it is the wrong sensor for the issue you are having. It is for the fast idle and cold advance system.

The part with the bushing is for the glow plug system and is on the other side of the engine.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Almost every replacement part on the CUCVs has been discussed over the years.

The best place for a list of part numbers is the parts manuals. With the age of our trucks many parts are no longer made. Because of this many of the cross-over part numbers no longer work. It is a hit and miss on finding replacements.

Over the years I have created a spreadsheet with the ordinal part numbers and the NAPA, Oreilly's , BWD and other cross-over numbers. Sometimes the parts still exist and other times I have to find a replacement.

For the Glowplug Controller temperature sensor the GM part number is 10045847. GM has updated this part to a new style plug. If you use this part you will need to change out the plug connector. While I do not have the GM part number for this pigtail I do have the aftermarket number. NAPA - TSC200 or Oreilly's - PT191.

Many times the plug itself is bad and needs replacement. However if the plug is good and you want to stay original, the correct replacement sensor is NAPA TS4032.

This post discusses both the new and old style sensors:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?45857-glow-plug-temperature-switch

new style
GM part number - 10045847
NAPA part number - TS4015 or TS4052
Oreilly's - WT3000
pig tail - TSC200 or PT191

bushing
GM part number - 444034
0.500-14 x 0.375-18 NPT bushing

Old style
NAPA - TS4032

Last edited:

Zafy2

Should I change anything in the video information wise? I want to re-record it and might as well change any misinformation.

I'll look into the other switch for my issue.

Thanks for all the information too!