• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I messed up...Possible to retap the knuckle on my front axle?

ajsmith184

So I messed up big time..Doing ball joints on my M1009, didnt even notice the upper adjustment sleeve on the ball joint..Proceeded to get it hot, beat it some...Until suddenly it fell out and it hit me it was there :-( Now, obviously, the new one wont thread in....Is it possible to retap the knuckle? Or craigslist replacement axle time? So mad at myself auaaua

MT4222

Well if you beat it out the threads are probably trashed. Atleast 10 bolts are a dime a dozen and you can upgrade to a better gear ratio. Or you could upgrade to 1 ton axles.

richingalveston

re-thread not retap

your only hope would be to get a tap of the current size and re-dress the threads, you might be able to fix it. re-tap would require drilling larger and cutting new threads which would not work with existing parts.

I am not aware of any aftermarket parts that would fix this. I do not beleive installing a sleeve or any type of insert such as a helicoil would hold up due to the stress of the nuckles.
The metal is forged steel and welding clould be done however getting the whole back in the correct place after welding up and drilling back out then tapping would take some precision equipment or your allignement would not be right.

If the threads wont clean up enough with a tap then I think you are looking at getting a new axle.

someone else here may have some experience with this that I do not, but to my knowledge your choices are very limited.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
It's lost. The thread is a taper I believe. Like MT said, at least 10 bolts are a dime a dozen. Or upgrade...

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I messed up big time..Doing ball joints on my M1009, didnt even notice the upper adjustment sleeve on the ball joint..Proceeded to get it hot, beat it some...Until suddenly it fell out and it hit me it was there :-( Now, obviously, the new one wont thread in....Is it possible to retap the knuckle? Or craigslist replacement axle time? So mad at myself auaaua

Is that how the TM said to do the job?:?:

TM 9-2320-289-34​
6-12. STEERING KNUCKLE, ARM, AND BALL JOINT MAINTENANCE (M1009).

Last edited:

ODdave

First, how the ****? Second. I have 1009 axles, and just got a set of 3/4 tons that would probably have better gears if your interested.

Ps, threads are not tapered

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
“We don't make mistakes, just happy accidents.”
Bob Ross

“All you need to paint is a few tools, a little instruction, and a vision in your mind.”
Bob Ross

OLDCHEV4X4

It's lost. The thread is a taper I believe.
The thread isn't tapered, the ID of the sleeve and the OD of the ball joint stud is.
If there is thread left, I would try and chase it with a tap. If not, looks like its time for a axle swap.
And I agree, the TM's are very useful, and for this job a civi repair manual would even work.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks