• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I might have killed a rat

hemi348

I have had my m1009 for about half a year now and I have been slowly working on it trying to get it in condition to pass inspection (last inspected in 2008 ). This truck had been working on our ranch for about 4 years and has always been a good dependable truck but, it has always had a large amount of electrical issues. It has taken me awhile to figure out wiring issues with the brake lights, turn signals, headlights, and the horn and decided to take it in for my first attempt at getting it inspected (it passed!).

I just got back from driving it to the inspection place and decided to rev it up in park when I got home to see how it sounded. I had the driver side door open and was looking for smoke out of the exhaust pipe. I was on the floor laughing after a handful of corn and a rat nest flew out of the pipe and into my fence at a surprisingly high velocity.

The truck used to sit for long periods of time so apparently this little guy decided to make its home in my tail pipe. I can only hope it was the little bugger that decided to eat my cucv wiring system!

Have any of you guys had any interesting encounters with rodents and your cucv?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've had a few mice run out of the cab in my deuces occasionally

Not a cucv, but I once bought a car at a county auction. It had sat for a long time. I successfully jump started it after the auction, to load it on my trailer. It sounded oddly quiet. I revved it up a bit and thats when dog food started shooting out the rear facing tailpipe. I mean it really flew out at high speed and shot a long ways back. I pelted my cousin with the scatter fire!

When I got out to see what he was yelling about, I was astounded by the amount of dog food and the distance it flew!

GreggVA

Perhaps you could go for this look:

http://www.gscreationsllc.com/images/Rear exhaust plate Screen.jpg

Just make sure all your rodents are out first.

Rodents just plain like to chew on wiring. I have had them eat dishwasher return lines, extension cords, lamp cords.... If you let something sit, they will find it! I also had a three-layered paper wasp hive in an old wood stove chimney - fun to find on the first winter day when we started the fire!
http://www.gscreationsllc.com/images/Rear exhaust plate Screen.jpg

Keith_J

I know a mouse or two holed up in my M1031 SECM. There is still a nest in the air compressor's drive belt cage. Under the seat was a bunch of shredded aluminum foil, in the ash tray was an empty package of stick chewing gum, the foil-wrapped stuff. Bunch of sunflower seed hulls too. I might have to pull the seat to fully clean it out.

IMHO, they get in when the kick panel vents are left open.

hemi348

I have a lot of those same electrical issues with my m1009. Care to share how you fixed these issues? ;)
The majority of my issues were caused by my rodent friends chewing around the fuse box. If you suspect rodents it wouldn't hurt to check around there. Apparently that big clump of wires is appetizing to mice.

MarcusOReallyus

So, is there some special license required for rodent launching? Or does that come under a general exterminator's license?

What kind of oil do you recommend in a rodent launcher, anyway?

:mrgreen:

biggaloot

Bought a M715 years ago that had set for several years with a SBC 350 that ran, it shot out milo and blackwalnut hulls when reved up also. But no rodent projectiles. The rats seem to have a knack at fidning the most expensive and hard to replace wiring to chew on, it's a big problem for farmers with equipment stored off season.

Danl

Danl M915A1

up here in the north east these guys like to get comfort in the cold season they even try to come in our houses, Heres what we do in our trucks and our gear that sit for a long time. In my trucks I put this stuff called DECON the mice love it , they eat it up instead of the wires. we can get this stuff in smalls Bars the size of a Small bic lighter , they fit under the dash real nice. one box under the seat. the mice eat the stuff and go away, for Good check it out the stuff really works DanL:driver:

ryan77

I blew a little lizard out of a m1009 from Texas shot the little guy across the garage!!

Attachments

Last edited:

Jump Start

Fired up my son’s M109 several months ago, when I blew the air horn a bird nest shot across the hood. As far as rats we put rat poison in all our trucks and trailers last week

Danl

Danl M915A1

Fired up my son’s M109 several months ago, when I blew the air horn a bird nest shot across the hood. As far as rats we put rat poison in all our trucks and trailers last week
that decon works good don't it? or do you guys have something diffence you use? it really s5cks when the mice bivwack in the air filter

det rebel

best one i ever had was on an old dodge m880 that had no exhaust under it when i got it so i pulled a couple of 18" cherry bombs from an old work truck that were sitting in the shop for a few years. well after getting them installed and driving the truck around i only had exhaust coming out of one side at idle so after a few revs i proceed to launch a bird nest about 25 feet and hit my buddy in the chest while he was standing talking to a few other people. with enough force to leave a red mark for a day or two

HOWEY

best one i ever had was on an old dodge m880 that had no exhaust under it when i got it so i pulled a couple of 18" cherry bombs from an old work truck that were sitting in the shop for a few years. well after getting them installed and driving the truck around i only had exhaust coming out of one side at idle so after a few revs i proceed to launch a bird nest about 25 feet and hit my buddy in the chest while he was standing talking to a few other people. with enough force to leave a red mark for a day or two
He can always brag down the pub that he survived been hit in the chest with birdshot :mrgreen:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks