• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I need a 12v starter for my m1009

m1garand_man

I have a m1009 that has been converted to 12v and has a crappy chinese direct drive starter that is failing. I had it rebuilt and it still struggles to start the truck when its hot. I guess you can only polish a turd so much. I'm really looking for a quality gear reduction starter that is 100% compatible with the 6.2l engine. I understand that the gear reduction ones came out for the 6.5l as an improvement but will work on the 6.2 with a special bracket. so naturally I'll need the bracket too. I will also be looking for starter bolts so that I have a new set on there. I need this to be one that I dont have to shim. I have heard horror stories about those chewing up fly wheels and I just dont want ti do it because I cant find anyone who can explaine the shimming process. If anyone has a tutorial out there that would be great.

lastly my budget for the whole thing is $350 or less. I would prefer that I be able to find a delco or other OEM part vs another chinese one.

Please let me know whats up

lavarok

I have brand new 24 volt ones, someone told me that you can leave one wire off the starter it become 12v starter but I'd check that dope
I would say "someone" is wrong. The 24v starter has two wires. One for main 24v power and one for the solenoid. Removing either will make it inop.

I would think any auto parts shop could sell you a 12v starter for a 6.2L engine. Just go in and tell them you have a 85 4wd blazer with a 6.2L diesel and you need the starter. Civy trucks were all 12v and that is what the auto parts houses will sell you.

m1garand_man

I have a friend who whent to napa and got one (a 24v) for his truck and it tore up two fly wheels. I had to help him replace one and its a lot of work for one simple part. he got the genuine gm gear reduction one and has no problems with it. the one I was going to origionally get from napa had the same small opening on the nose cone as the one he had so I figured it would give me the same problems. I didnt want to find out. I whent to auto zone and they had one that looked identical to my chinese one. both were direct drive and i wasnt interested in either one. I just want a genuine GM one for as little as possible and with out having to shim it unless some one can explaine to me how that is done.

lavarok

You can try ACDelco Part # 336-1900 or ACDelco Part # 336-1878
Rockauto.com if you dont want to source it locally.
My trucks are still 24v, so I cant vouch for either number.

Good luck!

Armada

First off, convert it back to 24v.
Contact this place. http://www.superstartershop.com/services.nxg Starters and alternators are all they do.

They have done military alts and starters for years. They know what they're doing. Last time I used them, it was $60 for a rebuilt alternator, and $125 for a rebuilt starter, 24v. They rebuild the one you bring in. If you don't have one they can get you one. They also have 24v gear reduction starters at a very reasonable price. I believe around the $200 range. I know of a couple guys that have used the reduction starters on their cucv's and love them.
If 12v starters were better than 24v, then the military would never have changed from a 12v to a 24v when the cucv's were designed. They were 12v already.

ida34

The one thing you must consider is it take twice the amps to turn the engine over when it is 12 volts. Does the 12 volt conversion still retain two batteries in parallel? The civy diesels still had two batteries to provide the power to push over the high compression diesel engine. I agree with Armada with his advice to swap it back to 24 volt but is you still want to keep it 12 volt then make sure you have two batteries in parallel.

dilvoy

I've bought 12 volt starters from Kragen, now owned by O'Riley and they used to sell me rebuilt GM units direct dirve units. For the last three trucks that I converted, I got new Motorcraft gear reduction starters. They had the Motorcraft rebuilt sticker on them, but there was not one part on these starters that was used. Every peice was new and shiny. I think they sell for about $160 plus core. Too many people woulden't buy a truck, because they are scared off by the 24 volt starter, so I offer to convert them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks