• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I need an enclosed trailer to tow behind my Deuce

neilhendrix

In Memorial
In Memorial
If the PU will be in storage most of the time the 105 with bows and cover will work except for security . 105 w0uld be easy to build a secure box on. Good luck.

jesusgatos

Yeah, my Tacoma will be in storage most of the time, but I still need to haul a 16-20ft enclosed trailer because I'm going to be hauling 3-4 dirt bikes and tools and other junk that I need to have with me (because I'm going to be living / working on the road for a while). Thanks for the suggestion though.

jesusgatos

Just thought I'd post an update as I'm working through this project. I ended up buying a 14ft uhaul truck for $650. Had to drive to Boise to get it, but the box is almost perfect to set on top of the M353 trailer chassis. I decided to go with a little bit smaller box than I was originally planning because I don't want to be too limited on where I can take the truck and trailer.

The overall height of the uhaul box is going to be within 1" of where it's at on the stock truck, and that's sitting on 11R20's. I'm going to have to remove part of the cab-over section of the box (to make sure that I have enough clearance between the M109 box and the uhaul box), but that's no big deal.

This is what I'm working on right now. Adding 2x2" crossmembers that run front-to-back to support the floor of the box, which is made up of sections that run side-to-side. I'm pretty much ready to make the swap, and now it's just a matter of lining-up a lift to get it up high enough to get the trailer under.

Thanks again for helping me choose a trailer chassis. This M353 is EXACTLY what I was looking for.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Not to hijack, but is that a Challenger under the cover?

jesusgatos

I will. I'm going to start a build thread on the truck and trailer. Just want to get things a little bit further along so that I'll have some real progress to share with you guys. Right now it's just a bunch of parts in a pile.

jesusgatos

Here's a pic of the trailer right after I set the uhaul box on top of it. It's at full-lock, and the cabover just barely clears the back of the M109 box, but I'm going to cut a foot off the front of it and re-rivet the front cap back on. All in all, I'm really happy with the way it's turning out. It's still small enough that I can take it places where a motorhome and trailer should never go, and it's just big enough that I can fit all my tools and dirt bikes and stuff in it.

KaiserM109

Happy trails.

A friend of mine is also outfitting an M109 and bought a wrecked travel trailer to get the sink, stove, etc out of it. I have the same thing in mind.

If your trails ever lead through Colorado, drop me a PM.

Arlyn

jesusgatos

I bought an old water-damaged camper too! Bought it for $200, pulled all the appliances and paid $40 to dump the carcass. I've actually already got plans to travel to CO, so I'll try to remember to hit you up.

Green_gator

I am working on an M353 trailer as a kitchen to tow behind my M109. I like the low deck height as it allows for a tall enough box to stand inside. Plans are for a metal frame work and sides that lift out from the bottom to provide shelter underneath while you cook and eat.

jesusgatos

I really like this M353 trailer chassis too. It's really well-configured for a lot of different things. The roofline of that uhaul box is 2ft lower than the roofline of my M109, so I can load a boat or whatever on top of it and still be under 13ft tall.

jesusgatos

Thanks, but if you were talking to me I've already bought one and built a trailer that suits my needs almost perfectly. I have been thinking about building a few more though. I'd really like to have a water/fuel tank trailer and a generator trailer, etc. Would be super-cool to have a small convoy that I could move with a couple trucks or in a few trips. I can already see my plans to live in/out of this motorhome conversion getting a little bit out of hand. Pretty soon I'll be moving a military tent/trailer city around...

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice build~! Amazing what a person can do if they put their intelligence to work and slowly deplete the wallet! GREAT JOB!! Interesting thread!! GOOD LUCK!!:-D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks