• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I need help w/6.5 turbo swap

Plagueroach

I have a 1986 cucv with a 1991 military 6.2 that developed a loud knock. I purchased a 1993 6.5 turbo engine and the shop I took it to says it won't work because there is a fuel return on the 6.5 turbo that is not on the 6.2 as well as misc sensors that are on the 6.5 but not the 6.2. has anyone done this swap? What other things wont match up? I was going to do the 12 volt conversion I found a link to on this site, so I know I need a starter motor. I am stuck do I have to by another 6.2? I thought the 1993 6.5 turbo would work since it is mechanical without the sensors and computer crap. Thank you for any help

Westech

CPL
if the shop is not smart enough to do the swap.... take it else where or do it your self (if you are able)
its a VERY ez swap. you can leave the turbo off also if you do not want to mess with that.

evldoer

I agree with Westech, it sounds like the shop you took it to isn't capable of performing the swap and is making lame excuses. Do some research and see where it leads you. These are good engines to start learning about the diesel engine. Parts are reasonably priced and the average joe can still work on them.

Plagueroach

Thank you all for the quick replies, I think I need to find a better shop or buy an engine hoist. when I dropped off the turbo motor they told me the "intercooler" was missing. I guess that should have been my sign. I am very thankful to have a supportive fiance who has told me "whatever it takes". I bought my cucv after being released from the VA end of sept 2008. I was in the middle east from 2004 to 2008 and the truck feels like home and a hot meal to me. thanks again for all your help this site has been invaluable

Westech

CPL
I would just use the 6.5 as a N/A engine and slap it in.
Have said that it would be a good time to freshen up that 6.5 with all new gaskets and some head and main studs.
A fluid dampener is the cats rear from what I hear.
I will be getting one for my M1008 in a few paychecks.

llong66

I rebuilt my 6.5l turbo and just ended up putting it back in N/A for now until I can afford to have the custom exhaust work done to keep the exhaust in the frame so I can add a 2nd fuel tank. As Westech said, either just switch intakes, IP, and the other few sensors these motors have and go from there. Westech, I see your from where it gets cold in the winter, I would do a little more reading about the fluid damper, I have heard the "fluid" in them can thicken and throw it off balance in really cold weather...not a good thing, just something to think about.

Iceman3005

There are only a fee minor wiring differences on a 6.5 compared to the 6.2, one is the "TPS" or throttle position sensor, which is used to control shift points on the 4l80e transmission, other than that the wiring is pretty close, of course the 6.5 is a 12 volt system only but you where already planning on switching it over too 12 volt anyway. Ya the 6.5 never came with an intercooler, most mechanics should know this. I say take your truck an flee!