• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I need Info on batteries

KaiserM109

I am going to Ft. Riley on Monday to pickup my deuce with a box (M109A3). The folks in the yard tried to start it today but, as I suspected, the batteries are dead.

An M109A3 is the same as an M35 but with a different bed. Can anyone give me a part number, etc for the batteries? What are the dimensions? Can 2 regular batteries such as those from a full sized pickup, spin the motor?

I'm a bit late asking for this info and I have to buy them this weekend, so thanks in advance for hurrying with the info.

A. Whit.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A pair of regular auto batteries will work fine. The correct military batteries are 6TL's. If you want the 6tl's, look for an Interstate battery distributor near you. Usually around $130 ea.
Good luck on the trip!

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
All deuce varieties use the military standard 6TL or 6TMF batteries. There has been some difficulty finding them lately with the Iraq War, but they are out there. Any battery guy worth his salt should be able to get them for you. I have found them for as little at $70 a piece from a surplus dealer. Yes, you can use 2 regular truck batteries if you can't find the mil-spec ones. I don't know the group number off-hand for the civi batts.

poppop

I run two group 24 batterys in my five tons and they spin them great. I like the stud terminals and stainless steel nuts. The trucks I have seen have the bolt on clamps for posts and you just take them off and bolt the cables straight to the battery.

El_Guapo

When I picked my deuce I jumped it off with a nissan altima and a pair of heavy gauge jumper cables. :D Besides, you don't _need_ batteries to run. Just give it a bump...

ems4ty

I just bought (2) 6TL Batteries from Interstate Batteries here locally in Orange County, So Cal. They cost me $137.99 + Tax. My M35 had two car batteries in it before and it started fine but were bouncing around in the battery box because they were too small. Either way, I love the 6TL's, they work awesome, but they are pretty heavy! Anyways, good luck!

CCATLETT1984

Re: RE: I need Info on batteries

El_Guapo said:
When I picked my deuce I jumped it off with a nissan altima and a pair of heavy gauge jumper cables. :D Besides, you don't _need_ batteries to run. Just give it a bump...
I'd like to know how your 12v car started the 24v deuce?

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: I need Info on batteries

Group 31 post type will work. Just go to you local WalMart and grab 2 post type batteries. They'll get you home. Then look for the 6TLs if you want them. Take pics of your recovery!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

I'd like to know how your 12v car started the 24v deuce?
LOL, just yesterday I jumpstarted the M108 with my little JD lawn tractor. It was easy, I only had one battery going down so that's that battery I jumped. Eventually I'll be buying 2 batteries. Those $16 rebuilds were a waste of money, only lasted 2 years. LOL

CCATLETT1984

Kenny, i was under the assumption that as soon as the vehicle started, then you would be feeding 24v back into the starting vehicle, this is why i can only jump a car with my front battery.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Now see, that CUCV stuff is a bit more confusing. With a deuce, you only have 12 at each battery. The batt I was jumping ulimately had 24V at the + terminal because it was the upstream of the other battery but with the cables attached to just the + and - it worked just fine. Again, don't know about CUCVs but I've started many a deuce with 2 sets of cables and 2 12V vehicles.

KaiserM109

Before these postings came in I talked to Interstate Batteries because someone on an earlier post had suggested them, but I didn't have any idea what I needed. With this information I will talk to them tomorrow and see what I can get. If worst comes to past, I'll get 2 good batteries to fit my Bronco and my son's F100. Sooner or later they will get used somewhere if I replace them with the right ones for the deuce.

Thanks a million for the incredible responses I have gotten on this web site!! I am absolutely blown away. I hope that someday I can offer someone a little help in return.

Another thing that occured to me today to take to the site, since I am planning to drive it, is 5 gal of fuel to get it to the first station. In the 244th Engr. Bn. I once ran a 5 ton tractor out of fuel on a set of railroad tracks. The truck was mogas and the can had diesel fuel in it. I left the truck on the tracks and walked 2 mi. back to the motor pool.

A. Whit.

CCATLETT1984

i suppose its with the way the cucv charges the batts (two 12v alts) instead of one 24v alt.

but i would still think that it would feed 12vpositive through the neg. terminal on the "jumping" vehicle. on your tractor there isnt much to mess up, but on a new car i'm not sure how the sensitive electronics could handle even a small back current.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

LOL, just yesterday I jumpstarted the M108 with my little JD lawn tractor. It was easy
Now that paints a funny picture! rofl

"what can Green do for you!!!!"

KaiserM109

I just got my severance check. After deductions, etc. it is a bit short of what I was banking on. Therefore, I am going to snag a battery from a '96 Crown Victoria and a '98 E350 van, both heavy duty (as car and van batteries go) and install them in the truck. That will get the deuce to Denver and we'll deal with the proper solution later.

I plan to go straight down I-70 at 50 MPH starting at about 3:00 PM (1500 for you guys still thinking green, or tan now). It Mapquests out at just under 500 mi, so I expect the total return time to be 12 - 15 hr., barring trouble and snooze time. If things go badly, my wife might log onto this site for me and auction the rig off where-is, as-is.

‘ Gonna be fun!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks