• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I need some advice!

robesetz

:)Sorry guys I tried to delete the posting but it wasn't cooperating so I just edited everything out.
Anyhow, I've had my M1028 apart for about 4 months waiting for some time to replace the Flywheel. I replaced the flywheel(I know I know, its a flexplate) and it started fine but after about 10 seconds it started making a clicking noise. It would make the sound in all gear ranges except reverse. If I shut the truck off it would be quiet on restart then after 10 seconds it would return. I did not drive the truck. The first thing I thought was the bolt on the flywheel but they were tight. I checked everything and everything looked right. Late last night I went back out and took a look at everything real close with my headlamp and I noticed the weight on the engine side of the flywheel was touching the starter housing(endcap.) I didn't see it before because every time I looked at it the weight wasn't in that position and it wasn't making any obvious damage that I could see. So either the weight or the end cap were over sized. Just by a 1/16th of an inch or less. I wasn't going to mess with the balancing weight so I trimmed down the end cap on the starter, just enough for clearance. (The head of my starter was cracked and I had a new end cap put on it last year but I didn't want to install it until after I replaced the Flywheel.) I marked the area I cut down with a sharpie just to make sure it wasn't rubbing even it I wasn't hearing any noise. Everything looks good to go.
Thanks guys and sorry I left you hanging like that.

Robert Setzer

Last edited by a moderator:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Threads like this is why the site admin takes way edit privileges. Total waste of space and time.

I'll give this word of advice, don't make your threads useless.